What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone notice how slow forums became?

Hubbleman

Veteran
Last I heard of him he was picking up roaches around grass city boards, that was like 5 years ago

White Beard

I spent most of my days on three forums.
Knife making, Pontiac Fiero, and here.

Old and retired, arthritis ended knife work, reflexes ended crazy driving, but the photo threads here kept me even though my garden retired a couple years ago.
Coincident with legalization.

But I post so much less now. It is difficult to take the hateful speech seriously at a site dedicated to getting high.

Without that true vitriol directed with belligerent hate we will never compete with the pure social sites.

Less but friendlier, let that be our motto.

Honestly, I’m surprised to hear that legalization has replaced growing in your retirement: I find gardening to be satisfying and a pleasant use of time...and even legal weed is expensive (so I hear): growing my own if one of my main motivations for arranging to move out west.

I hear you about the vitriol...that’s not conversation - that’s not information - it’s abuse and self-abuse. Got no time, no patience, no heart for it. “Less, but friendlier”. Nice motto.

White Beard

Ok snowflake.
Thanks for a perfect example of unproductive, insulting, trolling “debate”

- Perhaps you need to post some far-left conspiracy theories in the Speakers Corner - to make what balance you seem to feel it needs then? -

- If you strongly object to members discussing whatever theories and/or hypothesis surrounding current events, politics or religion - whether they be deemed left or right or straight up the middle - then I suggest you stay out of that area of the site - for peace of mind -

- I'm not about to censor anyone for their political or religious beliefs - and would rather hear them talk about it - and discuss/debate around them -
Frankly, I wouldn’t know where to find anything genuinely “far-left” - and I don’t care to try - and that’s the truth. I don’t think it’s reasonable to pretend that threads in which serious commentary and discussion attempts are met with trolling, insults, derision, personal attacks, mischaracterizations, and contradiction for its own sake constitute “debate” or the free exchange of ideas.

Setting a standard for intelligent conversation - rules of engagement - is in no way censorship; in fact, it’s what makes productive debate and civil conversation *possible* in the ‘real’ world, and it works the same way online. Calling that censorship is way off the mark - and calling it “cancel culture” or “cultural marxism” is no more than a way to insist on the inclusion of invective, shouting matches, destruction of actual meaningful exchanges, and the denigration of actual attempts to actually discuss actual content.

- Presenting what an ideology (political/religious) is exactly about - should be compulsory reading - just so that we can all be aware of it - when/if it comes around - understanding and awareness is paramount - and we have the facility to discuss these difficult topics here - not to censor and discard discussions and debates because you don't particularly like them - I don't particularly like 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' - but I'm up to discuss why -
Are you up for discussing what’s wrong in your view with TCftBL with people whose only responses are taunting you personally, trolling you, dismissing or ignoring your reasoning - tossing away/ignoring your arguments to continue acting like assholes?

As Monty Python might say, that’s not argument, that’s abuse.

I agree that clarity, specifics, and a certain amount of rigor is important (if not mandatory)...but anyone who’s ever tried to explain their way out of a beating knows that’s a no-win situation except for the beaters.

........ makes Moding a lot easier now that Berry's been neutered!;)
I have the feeling I don’t even WANT to know what this means....

ALL that said - I love it here, and have since I first found the place. There are a lot of folks here I’ve developed respect and admiration for, and many I think I would be pleased to know IRL - hang with and be able to call my friends. I have learned a great deal since I’ve been here and I continue my studies, and I’ll be here as long as IC is around - if I’m allowed. I’ve also encountered a considerable number of unfunny, unhelpful jerks and assholes. Don’t care to hang with them. IRL or here. “Sorry/not sorry”

I doubt I’ll take much part in “debates” from here on out. Spending hours working on well-researched, reasoned, posts - trying to make them as clear as I can, is highly worthwhile to me personally...but pies in the face, spitballs and catcalls from the back of the class, then into the river? Not for me, thanks. Life may not be great, but it’s better without any of that IMO.

Probably won’t affect traffic too much.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
If only trolling usually cancelled out trolling instead of multiplying it

That's literally like trying to stop a fire with gasoline.

picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- that's life man - sometimes it gets a bit too loud - so you try and turn the bloody volume down -

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
No doubt, the majority of ICMag has become a ghost town, the only one's I see still booming are the stupid Joe/Trump/political threads.

Cuddles

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Anyone notice how slow forums became? [/FONT]
this is exactly one of the reasons I was so hestitant about signing up to this forum.alos not alot of other girls here ????

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No doubt, the majority of ICMag has become a ghost town, the only one's I see still booming are the stupid Joe/Trump/political threads.

Really??!!!
Highly doubtful....just making up drivel.
I think it's fires in Western USA, flooding in coastal areas, and the harvest coming in.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Doubt it.
OG, RIU, IG, and some others are still active.

I think it's fires in Western USA, flooding in coastal areas, and the harvest coming in.

Really??!!!
Isn't IC an International social platform? We (USA) aren't the only one's here.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
this is exactly one of the reasons I was so hestitant about signing up to this forum.alos not alot of other girls here ????

Welcome. There are other women around here, one is a mod. Just remember, most folks are also stoned and hanging around on a website is discretionary time, ie time to goof off and have fun. And remember, it is US election season, and the media have whipped people into a frenzy. Speakers corner is a place to get riled up over nothing.

Welcome.

Cuddles

Welcome. There are other women around here, one is a mod. Just remember, most folks are also stoned and hanging around on a website is discretionary time, ie time to goof off and have fun. And remember, it is US election season, and the media have whipped people into a frenzy. Speakers corner is a place to get riled up over nothing.

Welcome.

thank you for welcoming me and yes, US election time in particular always seems to get people into a hyper-nutty-kind-of frenzy :biglaugh:

I do recall posting stuff whilst off my face on previous forums lol

Klompen

This is what happens when right wing trolls take over sites. They drive out dissenting voices and then convince themselves that most people agree with them because most people who stay around are like them. Its the echo chamber effect. Its why political threads can be 5000 pages long while barely anyone spends time in the growing forums.

When people go to places like this, they generally want to have a culture to go along with it. The culture here is getting uglier and uglier because who the hell wants to go to a pot site to hear about how great the cops are and how much we're supposed to hate black people? I love this site and it really feels like watching someone shit on a loved one.