What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Red Sour - Old School Genetics

Oldman Green

ICMAG CUP WINNER
Hi friend!!

I appreciate your interest in this variety. For me it is one of my favorites. With her I won the first prize in the satica category in ICMAG Cup. It is a good mix that combines well with Sour Diesel and with hints of agtios and gas with the part of the male Jamaican Blueberry x Red Khyber that brings acid and citrus touches. Good structures and good branching. You can contact you here or by instagram.

Keep in touch.

Kustom_ax

Veteran
Hi Braie, Hi Oldman,

Thanks for posting this.
I bought some of these seeds as the cross with the Riri cut interested me a lot.
Was this line backcrossed to Riri? Or is it a straight Riri x (Jamaican x Red Khyber F1) ?

Do you happen to have any pics? :love:
Cheers

DutchHazeDog

Hey Kustom_ax!

I am currently running an Ol Red Sour and a Blue Grape Fuel from old school genetics.

Both plants are above average vigorous, have good veg growth and a solid controllable stretch.

My old red sour phenotype has good side branching, slightly thin stems, responds well to topping, easy to clone...
Many small buds (as I have seen in other diaries) which is a very good sign for quality :D
Mine are currently day 30 of 12/12, solid resin production and nice and sticky already :D the leaves in the buds are covered in trichomes.
She has a solid "full bodied" heavy but natural smell, reminding more of old floral pungent sativa hybrids, I won't describe it in detail as it will definitely still evolve from now till harvest in 45 days.

I am only testing 2 seeds of old school genetics at the moment but so far they are performing above expectations.

For reference I am also a big fan of karma genetics and ripper seeds. If these 2 phenos are a good representation of old school genetics then it is definitely high quality stuff.

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-23_08-29-44.jpg
    photo_2022-08-23_08-29-44.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 189
  • photo_2022-08-23_08-29-33.jpg
    photo_2022-08-23_08-29-33.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 176

DutchHazeDog

Apologies for the double post, but I thought it might help if I add some more images.

All images are from day 30 of 12/12 (after approx 2 months 18/6 from seed).
Blue grape fuel has had strong stem rub odors since early veg.

I also forgot to add that they are grown with the 'living soil' style (sorry if it is not the correct term).
I use green house bio powder feeding (actually works very very well, unlike the greenhouse seeds XD. BIG upgrade from the full biotabs line with compost tea).
Grown under mars hydro sp3000 LED. Will add UVB supplements for the final weeks.

Attachments

• blue grape fuel (3).jpg
    blue grape fuel (3).jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 145
  • old red sour (3).jpg
    old red sour (3).jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 135
  • old red sour (2).jpg
    old red sour (2).jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 142
  • old red sour.jpg
    old red sour.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 139
  • blue grape fuel (2).jpg
    blue grape fuel (2).jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 146
  • blue grape fuel.jpg
    blue grape fuel.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Thanks for your pics, there is not enough data about Old School Genetics but he has many interesting hybrids and I like the fact you can choose between regular or fem for the same cross. About that it would be nice to know if the fem seeds are made with a single phenotype of the cross selfed or if it's made with the mother and a reversed version of the male used in the reg.

Last edited:

Rurumo

I grew out Old Red Sour, Blue D #5, and Petrol Skunk a few grows ago, all were great, but the Old Red Sour was an amazing producer, it yielded 1 lb in a 4 strain/4 plant grow in a 4x4 tent. The quality is very nice too, good Sour terps, and the Blue D had really nice OG and Blueberry terps, which is an interesting combination. I highly recommend Old School Genetics. You can see my OSG grow over at RIU if you want.

DutchHazeDog

@Kustom_ax
Here is a picture of a clone of ORS (topped), and the mother's flower day 44 of 12/12.
You can see the structure of the clone is pretty bushy but not too short internode distance, it makes it very easy to grow and consistently fill up the space.

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-10_16-53-35.jpg
    photo_2022-09-10_16-53-35.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 163
  • photo_2022-09-10_16-53-44.jpg
    photo_2022-09-10_16-53-44.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 174

Kustom_ax

Veteran
@Kustom_ax
Here is a picture of a clone of ORS (topped), and the mother's flower day 44 of 12/12.
You can see the structure of the clone is pretty bushy but not too short internode distance, it makes it very easy to grow and consistently fill up the space.

Nice looking swollen calyxes ! 🤩
How's the smell on her? Is the 'Riri' Sour Diesel side prominent?

Thanks for sharing!

Rurumo

Here is my ORS from earlier this year that I mentioned before, it's on the front left. Very nice sour terps, but a little sweeter on the back end than the original Sour Diesel. One of the best Sour D crosses I've grown, and a very vigorous and productive plant for commercial producers too:

IMG_20220210_051737930_HDR (1).jpg

Kustom_ax

Veteran
Here is my ORS from earlier this year that I mentioned before, it's on the front left. Very nice sour terps, but a little sweeter on the back end than the original Sour Diesel. One of the best Sour D crosses I've grown, and a very vigorous and productive plant for commercial producers too:

View attachment 18755288
Wow! Looking amazing my friend !

DutchHazeDog

Nice looking swollen calyxes ! 🤩
How's the smell on her? Is the 'Riri' Sour Diesel side prominent?

Thanks for sharing!
There is a lot of smell, a pretty "full bodied" smell but it has been changing over time so I think I will return at harvest (in 20 days) to describe the smell in detail.
I smell the 'riri' when I go looking for the riri smell, if no one told me it is a cross with the riri I would not be able to guess (I grew sour ripper, which is a riri s1, and is very different to the old red sour pheno I have).

The smell is pretty gassy but not the same gas as OG (more old school gassy fruity) with a pretty clear dominant blueberry 'foreground' smell (very good blueberry smell, not just some 'hints' of blueberry), the background smell is has hints of lime in it and here I can recognize the contribution of the riri :D

Usually sour diesel comes through strong on the taste, so the smoke test will be the best way to tell 'how sour it is'. But so far its an impressive plant.
fyi I usually only like gassy dank sour og strains and am disappointed/unimpressed by the vast majority of the seeds I try.

DutchHazeDog

Hi mate, can you let me know how they turned out? I've got a pack that's going to be popped soon. Cheers
I need to pop more seed and test more phenos. The one we got has a strong pungent smell of NL + blueberry and some sour notes which make it very smooth to smoke. The effect makes us feel light and happy, but we are looking for something with more power and deeper taste.

Please take into account I only tested 1 seed of blue grape fuel (cloned it and grew it 2x and have 2 friends that grew these clones aswell). I don't think we had the best pheno, it was very promising while growing but once dried it was good flower but not amazing for our personal preferences. I want to get a more sour blueberry pheno, mainly for a stronger effect.

Also we are very picky with plants, nearly no phenos are keepers and we mainly grow karma/ripper seeds and the old school genetics seeds are definitely top quality seeds aswell.

DutchHazeDog

We just came back from Spannabis, where we met Oldman green.
For anyone hesitating from the lack of grow reports online, this breeder is 100% legit the real deal. He is a passionate breeder that has very profound knowledge. Send him an email with a description of what you like most and he will do an effort hook you up with the best matching seeds.

We picked up a pack of dog patch (chem d x 91bx2) to try the real deal old school chem, along with white kali (said to be kali mist dominant) and orange road (should be dominant on the grapefruit terps of the nycd, which are probably my favorite 'orange' terps along with ODV3 and Moonshine haze).

Some more info:
Old red sour pressed top quality rosin, around 25% yield on our pheno, and the terps come through. The ORS also has a pretty powerful effect after cure. I will grow the rest of the seeds in a few sessions and pheno hunt them.

Attachments

• photo_2023-03-15_11-36-52.jpg
    photo_2023-03-15_11-36-52.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 77

kro-magnon

Veteran
I've been lurking his seeds catalogue for a while but never pulled the trigger, it's nice to have some feedback from growers of those seeds; I think Old Man green is reliable source of quality genetics.
I have seen he has made some seeds with some old lines of the 90's, one if SSH and one of White Widow. I'll maybe try his Widow because I have not frown this strain for ages and i'd like to grow a good one which is not easy to find today. All the growers i know who have grown some Black Widow from Mr Nice were not impressed by their result and even some sais it wasn't worthy to grow at all. But I trust a bit more Old Man Green to provide a good representation of White Widow.
Have you try some of his WW crosses already ?

DutchHazeDog

I've been lurking his seeds catalogue for a while but never pulled the trigger, it's nice to have some feedback from growers of those seeds; I think Old Man green is reliable source of quality genetics.
I have seen he has made some seeds with some old lines of the 90's, one if SSH and one of White Widow. I'll maybe try his Widow because I have not frown this strain for ages and i'd like to grow a good one which is not easy to find today. All the growers i know who have grown some Black Widow from Mr Nice were not impressed by their result and even some sais it wasn't worthy to grow at all. But I trust a bit more Old Man Green to provide a good representation of White Widow.
I haven't tried his ww crosses, but I just popped a white kali seed from him however he said it is kali dominant.

OntologicalTurn

I haven't grown Old Red Sour but I did grow Strawberry Mist, and I was really disappointed, it's supposed to be a cross between the Tijuana Cut (cross between Kali Mist x Original Haze) x an old Kali Mist. Actually, when i grew it she was more to the indica side. I live in the subtropics so here it is easy to tell which plants hace some indica, because when you take them out they start flowering very quickly and almost without stretching due to the hours of light, effect was, meh... I have not tried or cultivated the kali mist but it seems to me that neither the effect nor the form of growth coincide with the mentioned parentals.

The old red sour sounds interesting because I understand that the red khyber is one of the plants of the legendary breeder from the Canary Islands, Álex la Mano Negra, although from what I know he always opposed the commercialization of his varieties and the seed banks. and instead he was looking to share them through the old forums in Spanish, or something like that I have read in cannabiscafe. An interesting guy, I would have liked to meet him.

about this bank it also caught my attention that its varieties are supposed to have won an icmag cup but I have not seen any mention of that in here ...

OntologicalTurn

I like pyramid ww