What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips or/and something else ?

Hey guys,
the floor of my grow tent is full of very small balls of green shit (i suppose) and some leaves have the thrips symptoms. According to the damages on the leaves, they are not many, but the floor is getting dirty very fast. In 1 night, full of shit, and everywhere. I found nothing under the leaves.
Second, I found eaten leaves, and little green debris of leaves amongst the little balls, so that's not thrips and i saw 2 little green caterpillars. So green, you can't see them by the color.
So is it just caterpillar shit on the floor? Do they shit so much?

I had thrips in the past, i know that they are dirty, but i don't remember their shit color...

Have you got an idea?

Great thanks

buzzmobile

Veteran
Thrips leave behind black specks/globs of poop aka frass. The green balls you describe are most likely from the caterpillars. Spinosad will control both thrips and caterpillars.

Thrip frass
attachment.php

Caterpillar frass
attachment.php

Attachments

• frass.jpg
    frass.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19
  • frass2.jpg
    frass2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
Thrips leave behind black specks/globs of poop aka frass. The green balls you describe are most likely from the caterpillars. Spinosad will control both thrips and caterpillars.

Thrip frass
View Image

Caterpillar frass
View Image

Great thank, caterpillar must be king shitter, because lots of frass. I have treated the plants 2 days ago and today almost no frass.

So it comes from a butterfly...but which one? Difficult to answer...

Might be a moth.

Okaaay ! I had noticed some small moths and for me they were not enemies...
Anyway i decided to buy some sticky yellow traps to hang in the grow room and tents.
I have also cockroaches with red hues, they like the tents, i wonder what do they eat, but they don't damage the weed. They like drawning in the water from the dehumidifier and i don't know how to get rid of them. I kill five a day in average. No real infestation, they are just there...
Thanks for your feedback

Edit : it seems that moths have white larvae, a green caterpillar like i saw, very uniform green, could be a defoliant noctuelle. I killed just now a little moth or butterfly (2 cm long). Very similar to a moth for me, or night butterfly. Small. The caterpillar were 2 cm long also.

I saw (and killed) a thrip. So they are not dead, shit!

Last edited:
Here is one caterpillar i found dying on a branch. I found 2 dead on the floor but they were greener, maybe not the same. Total in found 5 of those...But if you see the number of frass by square centimeter, they were sure more than 5.

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_000343.jpg
    IMG_20200829_000343.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200829_000031.jpg
    IMG_20200829_000031.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 24

buzzmobile

Veteran
Caterpillars are eating machines. Tomato hornworm caterpillars can erase a tomato plant overnight. Keep searching for those greenies.

They are very difficult to spot because of their color. And hard to poison i find. Thrips are dead, but those are still eating...I killed the butterfly, nothing is flying down there...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those dainty little white moths are the ones laying eggs on plants. Get them while they are in motion!!

Tonight i found a dozen... Under the leaves, some are stuck to the leaves when i pull them.

It's not good for the neck...

Last edited:
The coolest moths come from Tomato hornworms though https://youtu.be/oN67WdNLStE

Like firebird?
I've got moths also, but they are flour moths. They like also paper. I've lived in a house where they where quite a few of these moths, and i had no troubles with my grows. Their caterpillars are small and white.
I saw again (and killed) a little moth or butterfly that i'm not used to. Maybe it is the responsible. But a so little butterfly could make so big caterpillars?

Grapefruitroop

I can't get spinosad where i am, it's only for pro's...
This stinks like European Union bullcrap....pure mafia

Ive been there....you could get some spinosad 11,6% from italy on amazon....its from Bayer and its called
Protect garden Success 50ml
There was also another brand i cant remember the name from Composana brand that was another ConserveSC from Dow Chemicals rebottled..

In europe the majority of bio-pesticide are only for peeps with licence (licence means that you have to pay 200 euro and wait 6 months to get it LOL Clowns!!! )meanwhile you can get Abamectin , Glyphosate and what not on the shelves for the ineducated mass.....
AH! beware that in that hellhole the Bacillus Thurigensis israeliensis is for pro also....the one that they sells everywere is the Kurstaki variety that doesent to the trick....

Hi, following of the story...
I 've found 3 big night butterfly, but you call them moth (moth in french is smaller), in my tent, where i had killed all the caterpillars, and i had no frass anymore. First i wondered, again? But this is the offspring for sure. 2 or 3 weeks ago I had found under a leave a cocoon, but i did not check all the leaves, and some must have done a cocoon.
I killed them 3, but my question is : have they laid? Already? Again? F...!!

Keep watching for them.

So, first translation i found for moth was a little flying thing that eat flour or paper. But it can be bigger things for you. So it was moths. And i'm killing 2 or 3 every day. Actually they are born in the tent, when lights are off, they are still in the tent, but if i switch on the general light outside the tent, they escape but i'm there and i kill them. I've got another tent working reverse from the first one, and i watch for moths and frass. I absolutly have to get rid of them even if i have to stop growing and clean every thing.