What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Effect based terpenes

Sunshineinabag

https://youtu.be/52Ejxccwi_k

I'd love to hear folks thoughts on this video. My mind was blown. I'm a small time gardener from rural vermont.....I had no clue what was going on nationwide.:smoke out:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
There is a lot of info out there on the subject. I am not prepared to watch a 3hr video. There are shorter ones out there, not to mention literature. Sorry :(

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My vaping technique has me getting all the terpenes from about a 1gr load, in one hit. Then I do a few more... Really clears out the lungs, and the head rush when the blood hits the brain 3 secs after the hit, is dizzying. A natural-pathic MD I have for bloodwork physicals, does IV treatments. I asked him how efficient nebulizing is vs an IV, for getting whatever goodies that are being delivered, and he thinks around 90%. That is via the lungs/blood exchange.

I'll watch it later.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The first hour with Dr Russo are very much worth the time. Dr Russo brings up a warning about too much terpenes. They talk in the 10's of milligrams. I kinda worry about that, as unmolested good pot has 1 -2% terps, so a 1000mg charge would have 10-20 mg terps, ideally. Do 3-4 hits and you have ingested a bunch. They talk about using terps to clean, and my lungs certainly feel a lot cleaner and open. Clear whip on the desktop vape is clean inside.

Various strains, various terp combinations. So much to explore. I suspect that since I have lost a lot of the lighter terps, that I may be missing a lot.I do know that really gassy strains, like Queens Candy, are not very fun to vape off the terps - too strong.

However, my stuff comes out of a vac pak, and the heads get trashed in the process. I envision the most volitile terps being long gone, by the time the stuff makes it's way into my vape chamber. Sure smells good though when I break open and fluff up a pak.

This explains it here: https://youtu.be/52Ejxccwi_k?t=5995

They discuss the ingestion of he terps (essential oils) here. I think there is a lot still not understood. I feel the cleaning effects in my lungs, my SPO seems to be higher, and I do not hack up crap. But I kinda feel like a gunnie pig in a way also, stripping off the terps when I vape. "Lung degreaser"? It does feel that way to me.

https://youtu.be/52Ejxccwi_k?t=8269

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The first hour with Dr Russo are very much worth the time. Dr Russo brings up a warning about too much terpenes. They talk in the 10's of milligrams. I kinda worry about that, as unmolested good pot has 1 -2% terps, so a 1000mg charge would have 10-20 mg terps, ideally. Do 3-4 hits and you have ingested a bunch. They talk about using terps to clean, and my lungs certainly feel a lot cleaner and open. Clear whip on the desktop vape is clean inside.

Various strains, various terp combinations. So much to explore. I suspect that since I have lost a lot of the lighter terps, that I may be missing a lot.I do know that really gassy strains, like Queens Candy, are not very fun to vape off the terps - too strong.

However, my stuff comes out of a vac pak, and the heads get trashed in the process. I envision the most volitile terps being long gone, by the time the stuff makes it's way into my vape chamber. Sure smells good though when I break open and fluff up a pak.

This explains it here: https://youtu.be/52Ejxccwi_k?t=5995

They discuss the ingestion of he terps (essential oils) here. I think there is a lot still not understood. I feel the cleaning effects in my lungs, my SPO seems to be higher, and I do not hack up crap. But I kinda feel like a gunnie pig in a way also, stripping off the terps when I vape. "Lung degreaser"? It does feel that way to me.

https://youtu.be/52Ejxccwi_k?t=8269
For starters the only shit I vape, I grow. So I know what my shit is like.

That being said, you can target specific terpenes in the buds profile, depending on what you are after. Considering that you only take one draw of the vaporizer, it should be a piece of cake for you.

The boiling point of most common ones:

• myrcene - 332 deg F
  • pinene - 312
  • limonene - 348
  • caryophyllene - 266
  • linalool - 388
  • THC - 314
  • CBD - 356
  • Ocimene - 150 (most never experience that one)
  • Terpinolene - 345
  • humulene - 224
The lack of hacking is normal. You no longer combust and, as I previously stated, all I taste is burnt leaves when I smoke. I much rather vape and taste the full profile of my hard work, not to mention its orders of magnitude healthier.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Edit. Damn... I am so stoned I forgot I put up the quoted post above. This is basically a stoned rehash. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. This is later in the day, and cookies have taken over the show.

This is real world science to me. I heat the material and blast off the terps. There is something that comes off all the flowers I have tried, which is harsh to me. Yours would probably do it also. So I avoid that stuff by quickly getting the terps, and stopping. It may be chlorophyll, or some other compounds. My lungs don't want any more of that stuff, period. It has ruined joints for me.

When I time it right then remember to dump the hot ABV, you can see and smell the stinky shit smoking off. I want to get a MS / GC test designed and ran to know what that stinky stuff is, and I think an article at GW's site may have already cited a possible candidate.

As for boiling point of the terps, that is just one point along the vapor pressure curve (when the VP equals ambient), and there are terps off-gassing well before that BP number. Those guys were well versed in the off gassing of terps, which occur even at room temp. Higher temps increase the rate (partial pressure) of off-gassing for the particular compounds, and they go off independently and at the same time.

I would love to have been able to talk with those guys. Maybe one will see this thread and chime in. They are all worried about the terps cleaning the lungs via solvent action, being dangerous. It just may, but my lungs feel great because they feel clean. I think.

I get 1 gram of material vaped in one hit. That hit takes about 10 secs once I turn on the air pump, 10 secs after attaching the material chamber to the unit, which starts the heat conduction to the chamber. 20 secs total time of heating the chamber. The heated air, as well as the heated chamber, vaporize the lighter compounds quickly, as well as some of the active oils. I am using 420F now.

The 3' whip is clean inside, even after a couple of pounds has been run through. Compare that to a bong, or any whip with oil, hash, or whatever.

So either the guys in the video are wrong about terps screwing up the lungs, or here I am doing just that, to mine. Or maybe I am doing it at a safe amount ...let's see ... My stuff has been abused in shipping, so some of the most volitile terps are already shed. So I guess 1% terps remain once it gets in a jar, which then is 10mg, or so, per 1 gr hit. Load 3 or 4 times to get a real good buzz in the morning, and later as a lunch break recharge.

This kind of science experimentation has allowed me to stay high, and quit a steroid inhaler for asthma. There are no docs to talk with about it especially now with wuflu, and after the vape oil fiasco last year - which everyone has forgotten about.

Then there are the CBD rich strains with their own terp profiles. IMO, those would have good effects also.

Last edited:

MindEater

Terpenes are gross and dangerous by theirself. Unfortunately the only people talking about this stuff have no experience, or are off their fucking rocker smoking pine oil off an organic cotton ball and pretending it's tastes like og kush.

I won't listen to anyone talk about terpenes if they associate them with Cannabis. Cannabis smells nothing like terpenes, the other compounds completely overpower them. Fruity, funky, fuely, doesn't matter, it's not terpenes youre smelling.

And it sure as hell ain't terpenes you're tasting. I've seen so much garbage bud (southwest USA) that was infused with fake smells. Lemon bud that tastes bitter, because there's no sugars or acids in lemon peels. Garbage that smells like grapes but tastes like burnt pork fat salad..?

Nothing more than an IQ test, to associate something called SKUNK with fruit scrap extracts rather than sugars acids and mercaptans. It's garbage science. Who started this "weed is fruit peels" crap? The vape companies? Every time they've tried to recreate an effect/smell/flavor with terpenes, they can't, because the effect smell and flavor doesn’t come from terpenes!

https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/table-of-organic-compounds-and-their-smells-w12.pdf

Last edited:

Sunshineinabag

For starters the only shit I vape, I grow. So I know what my shit is like.

That being said, you can target specific terpenes in the buds profile, depending on what you are after. Considering that you only take one draw of the vaporizer, it should be a piece of cake for you.

The boiling point of most common ones:

• myrcene - 332 deg F
  • pinene - 312
  • limonene - 348
  • caryophyllene - 266
  • linalool - 388
  • THC - 314
  • CBD - 356
  • Ocimene - 150 (most never experience that one)
  • Terpinolene - 345
  • humulene - 224
The lack of hacking is normal. You no longer combust and, as I previously stated, all I taste is burnt leaves when I smoke. I much rather vape and taste the full profile of my hard work, not to mention its orders of magnitude healthier.

I'm starting to realize your an enclyclopedia of knowledge I like that. Thank you. I need to start embracing this mindset

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Targeting specific terps with temp is really tricky. You have to choose the strains / phenos to target which terps you want. I am only as far as knowing that very gassy strains hurt from too much "solvent".

Here is a paper from GW's site on terps in certain strains:

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2016.0040

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...entifying-cannabis-strains-by-terpene-profile

The Gas Chromatagraph works, I think, by increasing the temp and seeing activity peaks as compounds light up with increasing temp (but they measure the time, and ramp up the temp at a rate). That process is close to what I am trying to do with the vape, increasing the temp quickly and drawing off the volatile compounds, and stopping before the heavier stuff comes off in force.

Here is a description from a paper, which sheds light on my vape technique also:

https://www.cannabissciencetech.com...binoids-edibles-using-thermal-desorption-gcms

" The multimode pyrolyzer with a vertical micro-furnace design allows programmable and multiple thermal desorption analysis on a single sample. This process, which refers to evolved gas analysis (EGA), starts with the acquisition of a thermal profile (that is, detector response as a function of sample temperature) of each sample type. To perform EGA, a short, deactivated tube (2.5 m, 0.15 mm i.d.) is used to connect the injection port to the MS detector. The sample is dropped into the furnace at a relatively low temperature (40–100 °C). The furnace is then programmed to a much higher temperature (600–800 °C). Compounds “evolve” from the sample as the temperature increases. A plot of detector response versus furnace temperature is obtained."

What makes me cough, ie my "detector response", is in the heavier compounds that shed late into my 20 second heating process. The good oils are still mostly there, and to ingest them I just make butter and eat it instead. Liver doesn't mind as much as the lungs do. I have tried a Magma bubbler in case the bad stuff was water soluble, but it doesn't help.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm starting to realize your an enclyclopedia of knowledge I like that. Thank you. I need to start embracing this mindset
Well thank you :blush:

Remember the old ditty "let you fingers do the walking..."

If ya gotta work, work smart. Here I am in the twilight of my years, peering out the window at life and I simply hate what I see. A society devoid of most values that were the foundation of my youth. To a society were most are only engrossed in themselves. A society of me myself and I. A society were there no longer is accountability.

I remember the hard work that went in to those research projects, having to bike to the public library on a Saturday, instead of playing street hockey or pick up basketball with friends. All the while sifting through the pile of books gathered on the table. We have a great tool, this Internet thingy of ours, where most don't use the tool to its full potential. Even in its infancy, I was simply flabbergasted at the wealth of knowledge that was available at our finger tips (let your fingers do the walking...) Arming myself with the Internet and my sound foundation, the universe became the limit, vice the sky was the limit in the day.

I have always thirsted for knowledge, and the best answers (substantive answers) are often found on page 4 or 5. It is also dependent on what question you ask. e.g:

• Q= "The safety of propylene glycol" as an example = GRAS, generally regarded as safe. 1st out of 5 pages = 50 replies
  • Q= "The harms or side effects of ...." Top 20 scans. We don't want to talk about it.
  • Q= What the fuck is in vape juices, we have to ban vaping.
    • I quit combusting 10 yrs ago. I have been a vaper ever since. Know I grow my own, vape that and make my own salves, e liquids etc...
    • I was a smoker for 41 yrs
    • I do smoke the odd joint for max effect, but that is a different story. I canna pill or vape.
  • I was an activist for vaping = with the same passion as BLM, well = all lives matter. Does that mean I don't support the BLM movement. Absolutely, and unequivocally not. I don't give a damn where you come from, what colour you are. That being said when someone hugs me. I know if they are sincere.
Coming down from my soapbox... you don't get wisdom out of as book, nor a cell phone (65% of the population), to interested in getting there vice the journey! Life is an accumulation of knowledge, regardless how you got it. A lot of folks believe money = power. Wrong, knowledge, read researched knowledge, not regurgitated Internet/keyboard knowledge, is a priceless commodity, along the same lines as time. I don't waste mine. This is addressed to the entire forum!

Switcher, signing off.

PS: I don't ask you to agree. It is simply "my" opinion, in a sea of opinions. TBS, everyone owns a conscience :)

On that note. I bid you good night :tiphat:

ozzieAI

Veteran
Terpenes are gross and dangerous by theirself. Unfortunately the only people talking about this stuff have no experience, or are off their fucking rocker smoking pine oil off an organic cotton ball and pretending it's tastes like og kush.

I won't listen to anyone talk about terpenes if they associate them with Cannabis. Cannabis smells nothing like terpenes, the other compounds completely overpower them. Fruity, funky, fuely, doesn't matter, it's not terpenes youre smelling.

And it sure as hell ain't terpenes you're tasting. I've seen so much garbage bud (southwest USA) that was infused with fake smells. Lemon bud that tastes bitter, because there's no sugars or acids in lemon peels. Garbage that smells like grapes but tastes like burnt pork fat salad..?

Nothing more than an IQ test, to associate something called SKUNK with fruit scrap extracts rather than sugars acids and mercaptans. It's garbage science. Who started this "weed is fruit peels" crap? The vape companies? Every time they've tried to recreate an effect/smell/flavor with terpenes, they can't, because the effect smell and flavor doesn’t come from terpenes!

https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/table-of-organic-compounds-and-their-smells-w12.pdf

if you are simply talking about the 'smell' of cannabis then your points about other components affecting the final smell then yes...

however if are talking about the 'effect' then terpenes are very powerful and have a dramatic impact on the final outcome...the entourage system in cannabis is fascinating...i make canna caps and come create multiple effects from a single strain..ie sleep, active. happy or soothing by simply manipulating the terpenes and qualities...

a small amount goes a very long way, I use 1 - 1.5ml to make 120 caps...and my caps smell nothing like cannabis...

i use these:
myrcene - 332 deg F
pinene - 312
limonene - 348
caryophyllene - 266
linalool - 388
Terpinolene - 345
humulene - 224

i will put a drop of myrcene on a tissue and place in a tin with same stash and see if it does has an effect...

i'll report back...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you are simply talking about the 'smell' of cannabis then your points about other components affecting the final smell then yes...

however if are talking about the 'effect' then terpenes are very powerful and have a dramatic impact on the final outcome...the entourage system in cannabis is fascinating...i make canna caps and come create multiple effects from a single strain..ie sleep, active. happy or soothing by simply manipulating the terpenes and qualities...

a small amount goes a very long way, I use 1 - 1.5ml to make 120 caps...and my caps smell nothing like cannabis...

i use these:

i will put a drop of myrcene on a tissue and place in a tin with same stash and see if it does has an effect...

i'll report back...

If you simply remove the cap from a bottle of Myrcene and deeply inhale the fumes a few times, you can feel the couch lock effects of Myrcene.

ozzieAI

Veteran

i'll report back...

well that turned out interesting...

firstly i used way more than a drop as my myrcene is quite old and has lost much of it's punch...so once on the tissue i allowed it to touch dry and then placed it in the tin myrcene side down and placed the cannabis on top.

i used a CVault tin with 2 gr of of a sativa dominant strain...

upon opening the tin i released a strong odour of myrcene, i removed one of the 3 small buds in the tin, it had a strong myrcene smell (as expected) and it also retained much of it's original aroma. I crammed it into my mighty vape and toked away...

man the myrcene hit me hard, the normal' effect of this strain is a strong uplifting stone..but now it slammed me between the eyes and i am struggling writing this post...shit, i had stuff to do today...oh well...

so this raises the theory that you can change the effect of raw cannabis simply by adding terpene 'aroma' to your stash?

as well as myrcene i also have on hand:
alpha pinene - 312
D-limonene - 348
beta-caryophyllene - 266
linalool - 388
Terpinolene - 345
humulene - 224

i will now try a replicate this experiment using these other terpenes and see if the results match that of the myrcene...

handy hint: if you can access myrcene use it in an essential oil burner mixed 1:50 water whilst stoned...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well that turned out interesting...

firstly i used way more than a drop as my myrcene is quite old and has lost much of it's punch...so once on the tissue i allowed it to touch dry and then placed it in the tin myrcene side down and placed the cannabis on top.

i used a CVault tin with 2 gr of of a sativa dominant strain...

upon opening the tin i released a strong odour of myrcene, i removed one of the 3 small buds in the tin, it had a strong myrcene smell (as expected) and it also retained much of it's original aroma. I crammed it into my mighty vape and toked away...

man the myrcene hit me hard, the normal' effect of this strain is a strong uplifting stone..but now it slammed me between the eyes and i am struggling writing this post...shit, i had stuff to do today...oh well...

so this raises the theory that you can change the effect of raw cannabis simply by adding terpene 'aroma' to your stash?

as well as myrcene i also have on hand:
alpha pinene - 312
D-limonene - 348
beta-caryophyllene - 266
linalool - 388
Terpinolene - 345
humulene - 224

i will now try a replicate this experiment using these other terpenes and see if the results match that of the myrcene...

handy hint: if you can access myrcene use it in an essential oil burner mixed 1:50 water whilst stoned...

Linalool is another terpenoid that bears examination as a standalone. It has a strong calming effect, without being a couch lock.