What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

playing with aces (aka draining the seed bucket)

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp 6 weeks full shots

kali china x gdp 6 weeks full shots

They're looking good and pretty much ready for their photo shoot. I'm going to harvest them at week 7 this weekend barring any surprising results from the scope this week. Both plants displayed extremely fast flowering and nice purpling. IIRC the mom didn't show too much color during growth but both of these exhibit what I call the GDP purpling, which normally has two expressions that can be seen here: one royal/red purple on bottom with side purple streaks which is where the sativa is leaning, and one dark purple on top of leaves which is where the indica is leaning.

sativa
This one is a pretty nice mix of the F3 Kali China and GDP. Bud size was reduced due to the GDP, but overall shape is still F3 influenced with rock solid buds. Seems like it yields the same as mom just in a different more dense shape.

Mom terps + GDP perfume.
picture.php

indica
Also a nice mix. I'm unsure if the growth pattern is due to getting some F4 Kali China traits or if it is leaning more to the GDP side. Usually GDP dominant plants have tiny buds and are dominated by GDP, this one is a solid bat of buds and features the Kali China liver/meat and incense on the forefront.
picture.php

nldfarmer

panama x rio negro columbian 6 weeks

panama x rio negro columbian 6 weeks

These are starting to build buds and resin now, looking like 10-11 weeks as I'm guessing maybe 3 more weeks of bud building. I'm starting to get into uncharted territory since I only have pure sativa experience with the single original Panama mum and Zamaldelica work which is a completely different beast. Panama Blacks are starting to differentiate more and I'm pretty sure my nose is right on with the influences, #4 and #2 are still my choices for outcrosses to Malawi.

It's been a while since I've grown, this year was really difficult relearning everything but one thing I learned is to trust my nose/instinct. It was my primary test for breeding before and I thought with age it would lose its utility but I think I still have it!

Developing a more landrace herbal smell like the Rio, but starting to put on more resin unlike #3. Might be the largest yielder as it's starting to make large buds, I still have a clone as backup in case it is better than the #4 smoke wise, but I need to see a better leaf/bud ratio before making that decision. Hoping the buds really swell the last few weeks.
picture.php

Still struggling with nutrients, as I said before it's okay since I'm just testing it out for now, along with the mites it has lost most of the fan leaves. Still the most resinous plant by far but looking to yield very low. Pretty stem and nice sativa structure though, combined with the resin this is a shoe-in for a good base to make a new haze.
picture.php

Blah, I went back and looked through my pictures to find Rio Negro moms and this is definitely Rio Negro dominant. It does however have a nice more refreshing scent (hint of lemon?) that I can assume is done courtesy of the Panama genetics. Leafy, not exciting smells, low resin buildup. Light flowers that might start fox tailing. The Rio did have a wonderful effect so maybe this plant will surprise me, but I'm vicious in selections and will not grow anything that doesn't meet my criteria, which for this one is both growth (low leaf to calyx ratio, med flower, controllable stretch) and high (sativa pure energy pine power). This one might come down a little a week or two earlier, it is not reflowering like the others (which I believe is a Rio trait).
picture.php

4 keeps impressing, starting to get thick buds with the lovely strong double helix shape. I personally associate the double helix with the best growth pattern strains, Kali China and Zamaldelica were two that consistently did this. This one is developing more citrus/mango right now. Still Rio Negro pine and Panama vanilla incense on the front.
picture.php

nldfarmer

week 6-7 update

week 6-7 update

I was greeted this week with amazing smells in the Kali China x GDP and have begun the harvesting process, no samples since they really didn't have popcorn, photos to come soon.

I also sampled a branch of the #3 Panama Black since it appears to not be strongly reflowering. I figure the hybrid vigor combined with Rios not strong reflowering and maybe some male pollen resulted in a faster finish time.

Smell is strongly spicy, with hints of mine and pine. Green mango is the strongest fruity smell, although digging into it more makes it smell like guavaberry.

Taste leaned more to the guavaberry but obviously this wasn't cured so it's not strong.

High was both surprising and expected. Taking a step back I don't really recall much about the Panama mom other than vanilla incense, I remember the high of the Rio because it felt pretty unique, raw energy and euphoria, too much left you feeling electric. The #3 represented the moms well, it was like coffee and a mental health boost at the same time. No real body effect to speak of, but I think Panama calmed it down to where the electric feeling isn't as sharp, in a good way. It also gave the Rio effect way longer legs, IIRC the Rio was great effect for about the average dispensary duration, 2-3 hrs while #3 felt pretty strong for 3-4. I'm really surprised with the pure sativa quality of the high at 45ish days. Can't wait to taste the harvest after 8
or 9 weeks.

If this is how good the crappy pheno is, there's a good chance the rest will be absolute units ;)

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp indica

kali china x gdp indica

Smells:

Liver/Meat incense from Kali China and purple perfume from GDP. Terps I consider top tier as expected from mixing the two which are my strongest terp varieties, can't go wrong between this one and the sativa sister. Extreme bat pheno, will be growing again to try to fem to hit the rest of her Kali China sisters either later this year or early next year.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp sativa

kali china x gdp sativa

Smells:

Sweet mango candy. Kali China incense, GDP perfume of course is still here but it's much more on the candy sweet vs purple perfume.

This one is much more like the F3 Kali China mom, interesting, delicious, and amazing smells but I want the indica one to try to make my own hashplant Kali China.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp initial smoke report

kali china x gdp initial smoke report

I was able to grab some scissor hash that mixed the two phenos after taking down these two at 49 days and throw it into a vaporizer bowl of known strength leaf. The indica pheno did not give off as much scissor hash despite being more leafy, so the mix leaned toward the sativa.

Taste: really good mango fruit and incense flavors. Subtle hints of cream and GDP perfume. Maybe some grape. Not much liver/meat.

High: Amazing relaxing high that was one of the friendliest GDP crosses to date. My GDP is a weird inconsistent polyhybrid, but for the good crosses I usually find the GDP dominant phenos to be like taking opiods and the non-GDP dominant ones to have highs similar to the mom but potentially extremely, dangerously strong. The Kali China x GDP scissor hash was very very strong, but no anxiety or fear, I was completely okay with being hit on the head with that hammer :D

I'll try to give each pheno's smoke reports once they cure for ~1 month. They really hit the spot, although sometimes I go back and forth on whether they work more like the F4 Kali China which I'm aiming for, or a weird version of Kali China x PCK. The GDP has a lot of similarities to what I've heard of PCK, with little twists...but that's for another topic. I have some old PCK 2nd generation seeds that might be useful to compare if I can get a good pure Kali China mom to experiment with...There I go again with more potential Kali China crosses :yay:

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp indica harvest photo

kali china x gdp indica harvest photo

the GDP comes through a lot more after drying :)

picture.php

nldfarmer

kali china x gdp sativa harvest photo

kali china x gdp sativa harvest photo

Classic GDP purple, I love that the phenos that are usually greener in flower get hardcore purple after the leaves turn.

picture.php

nldfarmer

panama x rio negro columbian #1 #4 7 weeks

panama x rio negro columbian #1 #4 7 weeks

2017 me knew more about the genetics than current me....they're beginning to earn the name Panama Black :biggrin: I have no idea which side this comes from other than vaguely remembering that maybe the Rio males might have had hints of purple.

#1 leans to the Rio and #4 leans to the Panama, I'm keeping #1, #2, #4 to start making my haze.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

nldfarmer

panama black #3 impressions

panama black #3 impressions

I harvested at week 8 on purpose, I wanted to see how good of a buzz I can get on my regular harvest time of 8-9 weeks.

Very impressed even with this pheno, the moms were less flavorful and quite airy, even though the effect was uniquely pleasant.

Smell from a distance is dark heavy dank, I think if you started hitting this with Afghani genes it'd be a trivial exercise to find RKS like phenos.

Once you get in there the complex smell becomes a little more discernible, mostly Rio pine and citrus with a touch of the vanilla incense from Panama. The guavaberry from previous experience comes out more in the cure.

Unfortunately this plant does not have the lemony Panama terpenes, but overall Panama added: bud densitiy, refined terpenes, better leaf/bud ratio. I'm not exactly sure where the faster flower time comes from, could be a combo of hybrid vigor, male pollen, and/or Panama's denser buds making it seem like they're ready faster.

Panama has made the landrace Rio essentially ready to be commercialized, and is great for taming wild genetics. :thank you:

nldfarmer

Rio Negro Colombian P2 Landrace Comparison

Rio Negro Colombian P2 Landrace Comparison

I think I forgot to upload these in the beginning for comparison. These were grown by me before relearning everything and honestly my notes are all in my head and patchy.

Here are the mom plants that were used to make Rio Negro Colombian F2s, I made them while hitting other ACE strains with the male pollen.

It's a bit frustrating that I don't have as many pictures as I do now, I believe the reason being was the Rio seeds were seemingly well selected and generally composed of only two phenos that mildly differed in growth structure, one more sativa and one more dense.

The flowers were both on the airy side when cured, with pine, wintergreen, mint, and citrus aromas, a user no longer on the board gave a really good smoke report that still applies:

11-12 weeks. 11 oz from 3 plants, very good in my setup. Strong stretch. Not floppy. 1 w/ infertile(?) bananas. Pollinated w/ 2 nice males. A lot seedier than I intended. Good flower to leaf ratio. Only the smallest close in leaves & flowers have frost. Trouble-free grow.

Mild aroma like sweet Pinesol & a little Wrigley's spearmint gum coming out in the cure. Mild & sweet on the inhale, earthy exhale, pronounced sweet & minty aftertaste. Very clear effect & complex thought provoking high. Warm, spiritual & a little bit electric. Deceptively potent w/ long legs & fairly strong letdown at the end.

Very unique & very good with a character all its own.

Compared with the mom report here the inhale is now more strongly flavored with pine and fruity notes, more resin, less stretch, denser buds, nice very strong effect with even longer legs. Everything about the F1s is just better than the P2, at some point I will search through the F2s to see if there's anything comparable.

Last edited:

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
great thread.
its always nice to see posts like this one...documenting your hunt/progress.

please, keep the updates coming!
its a breath of fresh air compared to some "other" threads that seem to get the most attention.

rock on, nld!

-cap

nldfarmer

great thread.
its always nice to see posts like this one...documenting your hunt/progress.

please, keep the updates coming!
its a breath of fresh air compared to some "other" threads that seem to get the most attention.

rock on, nld!

-cap
Thanks for the support, I enjoy the respite that pheno hunting has given me. The timing on the Panama black is perfect for emotional and mental health, 2020 has been a kick in teeth on repeat. My dog is pretty unwell, I have some updates to get out this week but after that I'm going to slow down on the garden and let things stay for a minute while I attend to him.

nldfarmer

panama black spousal impressions

panama black spousal impressions

"why does our living room smell like cat piss" - #1 sitting in our living room
"fun, all in the head" - #3 immediately after drying
"like a haze sitting just at eye level" - #3 with a fat #2 scissor hash ball

This makes me happy and confident I'm going in the right direction if the spouse picked up on haze traits without any prompting.