What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Giveaway Mars Hydro 420 giveaway

LouDog420

A 600w running at 75% is 450w or replacing with a 400w HPS is about as close to a side by side as we can get. Two SP-150s pull 270w. We all know LED runs more efficient, so a lower wattage LED should be comparable. Mars Hydro specs say two of the SP-150s are sufficient to flower a 3' x 3' space, and so is a 450-400w HID light. I'm wondering why this comparison wouldn't be fair? The wattage might not be the same, but both sets of lights would be designed for a 3' x 3' flower space, and we'll break it down to efficiency measuring grams/watt. If we need to make it more fair re: watts, I have access to a third SP-150 I can throw in the 3'x3' tent, making it 400w of LED vs 400-450w of HPS.

My proposal is to test flowering, I don't care all that much about veg, as GMT said, we know this will veg plants. I don't feel a single plant under a SP-150 will tell me what I want to know regarding their flowering potential, and I believe what most want to know. Is the increased cost of LEDs worth it and can they compete with HPS in regards to yield and product quality?

I can get an air cooled single ended HPS, ballast, bulb, socket, reflector for under $150, or DE systems for less than $400, even less with bulk commercial purchasing, so this is the big question for me. If you'd rather I don't do the side by side, let me know and I won't post it, but I'll be doing it for my own curiosity.

We should be building out a 5,000SF flower room plus additional veg in the next year or so, so this will help me decide on whether to continue to look into the LED options for commercial builds... I have a few standing offers to tour some facilities running fluence and progrowtech systems, just haven't made the time for it.

Thanks for the giveaway, hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes but I feel it is a valid comparison and very grateful.

What do you think about running three SP-150s in a 3' x 3' space with proper climate controls?

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If you've got the space, and can run the numbers without fear of leos, then I for one want to see it. I was just thinking of limiting the downside for you. Being in the UK, numbers matter, but I guess you maybe legal these days. 3 150s v 1 400, got to be fair.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mars, several people who bought Spider Farmer LEDs say they were billed through MARs

What gives? Do you own SF or are you just processing their purchases?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
A 600w running at 75% is 450w or replacing with a 400w HPS is about as close to a side by side as we can get. Two SP-150s pull 270w. We all know LED runs more efficient, so a lower wattage LED should be comparable. Mars Hydro specs say two of the SP-150s are sufficient to flower a 3' x 3' space, and so is a 450-400w HID light. I'm wondering why this comparison wouldn't be fair? The wattage might not be the same, but both sets of lights would be designed for a 3' x 3' flower space, and we'll break it down to efficiency measuring grams/watt. If we need to make it more fair re: watts, I have access to a third SP-150 I can throw in the 3'x3' tent, making it 400w of LED vs 400-450w of HPS.

My proposal is to test flowering, I don't care all that much about veg, as GMT said, we know this will veg plants. I don't feel a single plant under a SP-150 will tell me what I want to know regarding their flowering potential, and I believe what most want to know. Is the increased cost of LEDs worth it and can they compete with HPS in regards to yield and product quality?

I can get an air cooled single ended HPS, ballast, bulb, socket, reflector for under $150, or DE systems for less than $400, even less with bulk commercial purchasing, so this is the big question for me. If you'd rather I don't do the side by side, let me know and I won't post it, but I'll be doing it for my own curiosity.

We should be building out a 5,000SF flower room plus additional veg in the next year or so, so this will help me decide on whether to continue to look into the LED options for commercial builds... I have a few standing offers to tour some facilities running fluence and progrowtech systems, just haven't made the time for it.

Thanks for the giveaway, hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes but I feel it is a valid comparison and very grateful.

What do you think about running three SP-150s in a 3' x 3' space with proper climate controls?

Hey, buddy, it is okay to post the comparison here. :biggrin:
When will you begin this plan?

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
I'll post it here or in a new thread in your subforum.

Taking clones this week for the side by side run. Hoping to start within the next few weeks.

Hi Buddy, It is better to post in a new thread in subforum.
May i know when it will begin? :biggrin:

LouDog420

Next week, waiting on room in the HID tent...

In my impatience, I'm not going to do a direct side by side anymore... Don't want to wait for cuts to veg (another 3 weeks). That just means we get to the fun stuff (flowering) faster and the other clones planned for the space will head outside...

Catch you next week in a new thread.

Running OG Chem and an Inbred Chem Sour in the Mars Tent (big yielders, huge stretch), compared with Double Strawberry Diesel and Gorilla Bubble in the HID tent (small yielders, minimal stretch). We're giving the LED room the advantage in terms of vigorous cuts that produce, and since we're no longer doing a direct side by side, I'm going to run the HID tent at 600w.

Good vibes,
LD

Last edited:

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Next week, waiting on room in the HID tent...

In my impatience, I'm not going to do a direct side by side anymore... Don't want to wait for cuts to veg (another 3 weeks). That just means we get to the fun stuff (flowering) faster and the other clones planned for the space will head outside...

Catch you next week in a new thread.

Running OG Chem and an Inbred Chem Sour in the Mars Tent (big yielders, huge stretch), compared with Double Strawberry Diesel and Gorilla Bubble in the HID tent (small yielders, minimal stretch). We're giving the LED room the advantage in terms of vigorous cuts that produce, and since we're no longer doing a direct side by side, I'm going to run the HID tent at 600w.

Good vibes,
LD

That sounds good. Hope to see the new thread. :thank you:

LouDog420

Hey Mars, plans pushed back a week due to unforeseen events... Gotta clean up for a quick inspection and then will be back at it the week after.

Thanks for your patience

LouDog420

Vegging now, will start a new thread when flipped to flower... Maybe a week or two...

Thanks for your patience