What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garbage Pickers

T

Teddybrae

I 'm not sure you have grasped the context, Gry. There are all sorts of Cockatoos in the wonderful land of Oz. Probably thirty different types. In Australian slang Farmers are sometimes called 'cockies' because cockatoos are everywhere in the bush.

Fence looks neat what kind of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] cockatoos are they ?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

T

Teddybrae

The Wood Pile or back in time ...

The Wood Pile or back in time ...

Here's a pic of the woodpile. I just went out and felled a fire-killed Narrow Leaf Grey Iron Bark ... which burn best leaving no residue. We still have a wood stove and besides for cooking it heats our shower water. The brushes are for removing sand carried up the trunk by termites as they eat the sap (cambium) once the tree dies ... so that the sand doesn't dull the chain of the saw. (American Hickory handles on those axes.)
(I know this is the 'tip' thread but think pics of doin yr own thing fit here too ... ?)

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
Here's a pic of the woodpile. I just went out and felled a fire-killed Narrow Leaf Grey Iron Bark ... which burn best leaving no residue. We still have a wood stove and besides for cooking it heats our shower water. The brushes are for removing sand carried up the trunk by termites as they eat the sap (cambium) once the tree dies ... so that the sand doesn't dull the chain of the saw. (American Hickory handles on those axes.)
(I know this is the 'tip' thread but think pics of doin yr own thing fit here too ... ?)

View Image
They removed several large red eucalyptus trees next to where I was living. I just went over and pointed at my yard. I ended up with tons of wood. Delivered. The stuff burns hot.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a dozen very large maples bordering the road. Hydro left me a note telling me they were coming on x date to clear the branches close to the hydro lines. When they showed up I asked the guy on the ground (the one who cuts it in 3 foot sections) to cut them in 20 inch pieces instead. "No problem". Christ they even pilled it for me. I got almost 2 cords out of it.

I buy my wood now so that's a savings of about $110usd ($150 Canadian Pesos). I have a forest in my yard, but my days of cutting and hauling wood every year are over. Fuck that shit. The most I do now is use a hydraulic splitter and pile it in my garage for easy winter access.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Cord wood is about $300 for hardwood down here in Massachusetts and they dump the pile in your driveway.

I remember using the pry bar and getting the wedges, maul and everything stuck in one piece. Those hydraulic splitters are sold gold.

T

Teddybrae

Tried to multi-quote you all but didn't work.

Just wanted to say it's nice to know many of you are on the Land ... or from the Land. Makes a difference to the way one views the world wouldn't you say?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got about 3 cord of hickory & red oak piled up, some needs splitting though. hickory was already dead/dried. gotta love neighbors with no fireplaces...

Gry

I 'm not sure you have grasped the context, Gry. There are all sorts of Cockatoos in the wonderful land of Oz. Probably thirty different types. In Australian slang Farmers are sometimes called 'cockies' because cockatoos are everywhere in the bush.
Thank you kindly.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Dutch elm disease killed most elms here. 30 years ago fence lines were filled with dead elm. Some trees would give you 3 cords of rock hard twisted elm. Burn slow and almost too hot.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
yeah, good luck splitting that hickory with a wedge and sledge...

You're in for a real workout...
By the way, you better have 2 extra wedges, 'cause you're damn sure gonna get a wedge or two stuck in a log...

Now the red oak splits like a piece of cake, but it smells like male cat piss...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've never had much trouble splitting hickory. red oak, another story, lol. white oak can be split while you sleep. always hated elm because of its interlocking grain. shit just will NOT give up... busting up red cedar...i would almost pay to do that, love the aroma. there is a better kindling though. find a fire-killed pine stump and cut chunks of it. good ol' boys in 'bama call it "bitch pine" because it burns like a bitch... pretty sure they meant "pitch pine" but i've been wrong before...:tongue:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Yup red cedar is the worst. Knots everywhere and a grain that does not want to let go.

It does make great kindling and smells better than any other wood. Fresh cut oak smells pretty good too.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I was 20 and someone gave me a truck load of hardwood skids. I almost burnt my house down with it. I got up at night and could see the stove glowing red in the dark. Cracked all the welds in the stove. It wasn't airtight after that.

This one.
timberline-double-door.png