What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swazi (IBL Lower Puna )

oldbootz

Veteran
Smoke test update:
2 small buds were air dried for 4 days.
Took 3 hits on a Pax initially, then 1 more 5 minutes later because I wasn't feeling much at first. Full effects came on after 15 minutes. At the beginning it created a hyper awareness of everything around and too much scrambled energy to just sit and relax. Just sitting actually made me slightly paranoid. Had to take a couple deep breaths to recenter/try to focus. Tried cleaning but after 15 minutes of it was too energetic and unfocused. Started doing sets of pullups with breaks of longboard skating and compost turning in between for the next hour or so. The lack of focus turned into a hyper focus on everything from perfect pull-up technique to the movement of the red Wiggler's in the compost and to trying to master effortlessly moving the board. The impromptu workout did a great job of settling the energy down and the high became more relaxed and focused. Enough to spend the next hour or more happilly finishing the house cleaning. Overall, the high lasted about 3 hours and faded away nicely without any couchlock. It was a fun time, although my body is a little sore today

Sounds like a typical swazi high. I'm glad you can experience it. Some are too strong to get that super clarity of thought, and it comes only in the afterglow. The mind gets used to this kind of effect over time and then it becomes like riding a wave where you are in control of this crazy force.

Lolo94

Sounds like a typical swazi high. I'm glad you can experience it. Some are too strong to get that super clarity of thought, and it comes only in the afterglow. The mind gets used to this kind of effect over time and then it becomes like riding a wave where you are in control of this crazy force.

It's funny you mention like riding a wave, because years ago smoking this strain and then surfing was a favorite combination. It was easy to get into that flow state when surfing. For me at least, it seemed to work well in combination with alot of other types of physical activity. The one exception was open ocean swimming, where paranoia would take over in deep water, when everything below was dark.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the quality of the indoor grow and how adaptable the strain was. Focusing on mimicking (as much as possible)the Hawaiian short season grow, I believe, made a difference. Another thing was ensuring that the plants received only low amounts of nitrogen and that both the fan leaves and secondary leaves were allowed to die on the plant before harvesting.

Lolo94

Swazi update. Plants harvested between 12-13 weeks after began flowering. been curing for about a month.

Smoke Report:
3 hits on a joint

Smell: Minty

Taste: Earthy. In all the years I've grown this variety I've never thought the taste was that good. It gets ok after a long cure when it turns more golden brown, but the nice smell definitely does not translate to taste.

Duration: 3 hours so far

High: Unlike the early sample, this sample is much more settled. The early sample (quick dried) started off with more erractic, paranoid like energy.
This sample is very motivating and up energy and easy to focus on a task.. Becomes more introspective once the active tasks are done. Was able to work out, clean the house, and now write this. Can feel light energy radiating through the limbs, but mostly the effect is in head. Easy to get distracted, not really calmed down enough for efficient writing and typing.

Rating: I like it. Don't think it's as strong as the outdoor in Hawaii, but the quality is good and the desired effects are there.

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpg
    IMG_6759.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 32

Lolo94

Smoke update:
Cured about 2.5 months.

Smell: Sublte mint

Taste: Still not great. Earthy. A couple more months cure should improve it.

High: Highly energetic, but in a calmer way than when first harvested. Also, a little trancey. Easy to trail off in thoughts for a while, then suddenly snap back to the current reality. mildly euphoric. Puts you in a good mood without inducing fits of laughter. Although, I guess that is situation dependent.

Partook while riding my bike. Great way to enjoy a couple hour bike ride.

Lolo94

Update 2021

After going through 25 seeds (2 attempted seed runs) and not finding a single male I decided to cross the swazi to a Malawi x(Nigerian Nightmare x Afghani). In order to make this work I drastically cut back, the flowering Swazis and increased the light from 11 hours to 14 hours. I also switched from a flowering to a more nitrogen heavy organic mix. After 3 1/2 weeks the light was reduced back to 11 hours to induce sex again. I then started the Malawi cross seeds in the same chamber hoping to time the flowering correctly (I've grown this strain before and it sexes fairly quickly due to the influence of the Nigerian Nightmare). The Malawi cross showed sex after a month or so from seed. At about the same time, the latest flowering "female" Swazi (as it showed prior to reveging) began to show male and only male flowers. The Male Malawi crosses were removed and the "environmentally induced male" Swazi was utilized to create seeds. I let this "male" go several weeks and never saw any new female flower formation.
The seeds grown were 10 years old and have only been grown outdoors in Hawaii, where they have never seen a drastic jump in light cycles (or 14 hours of light) such as they were exposed to.
I still have some more Swazi seeds in cold storage just in case the seed run becomes hermie prone. I tend to think it won't be the case though, and that the sex reversal was due to environmental sabotage. There are also a few old timers on the Big Island still growing the Swazi (one from the same 10 year old seed run) just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 34

Lolo94

Growing Plants.
Unfortunately my photography skills leave a little to be desired.

Attachments

• IMG_6795.jpg
    IMG_6795.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32

Roms

Veteran
Vibes brotha, nice work and report thanks for the share! Good smoke and curing... :smoke:

Lolo94

Seeded Swazi Smoke Report:
Description:

Slow dried and cured buds for 2 months and vaccuum sealed then stored in refrigerator for 5 months.

Taste:

A lot smoother than the non seeded buds grown on the last run. Not sure why exactly, slightly longer drying time due to winter harvest could have made a difference.
I would still call it earthy. Never been a fan of this taste but it's definitely tastier than the last run.

Smell:
Subtle minty, fruity flavor.

Effects:

Smoked 3 good hits off a joint outdoors midway through a bike ride. (I gave up using the Pax because I don't think it burns this type of weed well no matter what type of setting I put it on. I think the Pax works better with the more crystally, sugar cone sort of resin.)
Onset was within a couple of minutes, starting with mild ringing in the ears, pulsating behind the eyes, and mild tingling throughout the limbs. Became hyperaware of surroundings (not paranoid), and mind started racing a little as the energy started to build. Unlike my unseeded sample, the buildup was smoother without the erractic energy , slightly paranoid phase. High settled into a very energetic, yet comfortable feeling. Kind of like a warm motivating glow.

Even though it is a comfortable, calm feeling their is no feeling of sedation. Very easy to work out on. Was able to finish an hour bike followed by a weight lifting session. Sat down to watch some TV, but ended up quickly bored as it didn't match the weed induced stimulation. Finally ended up going for a long slow walk (The visual stimulation and setting being more compatible.)

Been a little over four hours and the warm glow and slight pulsating can still be felt behind the eyes and in the body. The energy has calmed down alot. Enough to write this report.

Overall Impression:
I like the effects of the seeded buds better than the initial indoor run of unseeded buds. The effect, though slighty not as strong in the beginning, is much more even, consistent, and seems to be more drawn out. Taste is also alot better (although still not great)

H G Griffin

Awesome report, Lolo94 !

I was just telling a friend about some of the African sativa seeds I have, which got me thinking of where they'll fit in my growing schedule. Your post may be the final kick in the ass I needed to get them wet.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share that.

Lolo94

Awesome report, Lolo94 !

I was just telling a friend about some of the African sativa seeds I have, which got me thinking of where they'll fit in my growing schedule. Your post may be the final kick in the ass I needed to get them wet.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share that.

There's definitely some gems in the old African lines. I was lucky enough to acquire this strain nearly 3 decades ago, and have a small group of old timer outdoor growers that have hung onto it and replicated in a good climate(none of which are commercial growers). I definitely think outdoors in the right climate is the way to go, but for now the effects indoors (quality and not necessarily power) suit me better than what I've found comercially available. I've tried quite a bit of the "supposed "sativa at the dispensaries and have never been satisfied with the overall product. Good luck with your future African grow.

Marcus67

Seeded Swazi Smoke Report:
Description:

Slow dried and cured buds for 2 months and vaccuum sealed then stored in refrigerator for 5 months.

Taste:

A lot smoother than the non seeded buds grown on the last run. Not sure why exactly, slightly longer drying time due to winter harvest could have made a difference.
I would still call it earthy. Never been a fan of this taste but it's definitely tastier than the last run.

Smell:
Subtle minty, fruity flavor.

Effects:

Smoked 3 good hits off a joint outdoors midway through a bike ride. (I gave up using the Pax because I don't think it burns this type of weed well no matter what type of setting I put it on. I think the Pax works better with the more crystally, sugar cone sort of resin.)
Onset was within a couple of minutes, starting with mild ringing in the ears, pulsating behind the eyes, and mild tingling throughout the limbs. Became hyperaware of surroundings (not paranoid), and mind started racing a little as the energy started to build. Unlike my unseeded sample, the buildup was smoother without the erractic energy , slightly paranoid phase. High settled into a very energetic, yet comfortable feeling. Kind of like a warm motivating glow.

Even though it is a comfortable, calm feeling their is no feeling of sedation. Very easy to work out on. Was able to finish an hour bike followed by a weight lifting session. Sat down to watch some TV, but ended up quickly bored as it didn't match the weed induced stimulation. Finally ended up going for a long slow walk (The visual stimulation and setting being more compatible.)

Been a little over four hours and the warm glow and slight pulsating can still be felt behind the eyes and in the body. The energy has calmed down alot. Enough to write this report.

Overall Impression:
I like the effects of the seeded buds better than the initial indoor run of unseeded buds. The effect, though slighty not as strong in the beginning, is much more even, consistent, and seems to be more drawn out. Taste is also alot better (although still not great)
I like to think- without any scientific logic- that seeded bud is less frustrated bud and it reflect in the high. I know this is pure woowoo logic buy I am glad you anecdotally backed this up. What makes more logical sense however is that seeded bud is smoother because the nutrients- even when drying- will get sucked up by the seeds who desperately need it, leaving a smoother plant material for smoking.

I have some old Swai Safari seeds by TFD that I should germinate soon. This smoke report makes me excited, thanks for sharing!

Lolo94

I like to think- without any scientific logic- that seeded bud is less frustrated bud and it reflect in the high. I know this is pure woowoo logic buy I am glad you anecdotally backed this up. What makes more logical sense however is that seeded bud is smoother because the nutrients- even when drying- will get sucked up by the seeds who desperately need it, leaving a smoother plant material for smoking.

I have some old Swai Safari seeds by TFD that I should germinate soon. This smoke report makes me excited, thanks for sharing!
Never thought about seeds creating a smoother taste but now that you mention it, it does make sense. That being said, I do remember getting some imported seeded weed that tasted terrible. Poor storage was likely the culprit though.
I would definitely pop those seeds. There are some gems in African genetics.
I gave the last of my pure 2010 Swazi seeds to a well respected preservationist in central California to reproduce. Germination was over 90% (spring 2023) when I last used some to create a 75% Swazi and 25% Red Congo hybrid. Crossing my fingers that he'll be able to find some good males and be successful

Latest posts

Latest posts