What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swazi (IBL Lower Puna )

As Aficaseeds said, Swazi seeds are still available, however I doubt that they would be exactly the same as this Swazi varietal. Even if it was the same genetics, inbreeding for many years in a particular environment would likely alter some of the traits.
I tried Hawaiian grown White Widow in the 90s and it's effects were much more sativa than an indoor Widow, I tried a decade later on the mainland.

What was the island grown widow like?

I tried some mainland grown indoor widow and it smelled like ammonia. It creeped and gave me a panic attack. I hated it! Some of the strongest stuff I ever came across. Really unique effects.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Started 12 Swazi seeds stored since January 2011. 10 germinated and 9 survived. Strain is originally from Swaziland but inbred in Hawaii (lower Puna) since the mid 80s. Have had it since the early 90s.(...)

Salut Lolo! Thank you to report and preserve this SA genetic in Hawaii and in its pure form! Funny ocean move for the Swaziland heritage! I imagine that its moisture fragility is resolved after decades of reproductions! I wonder how is its effects now, still be very pulsating and heart boom or it calmed down into happy/clear sativa? trippy buzz? Also have you seen blueish green pheno in the line?

Good suite to you with the LEDs! Interesting grow bro!

P.S : Here's the Swazi Red line from Afropips. My next step will be its 4th generation, with a lucky cocacola aroma to focus up!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=27989

H G Griffin

I've got a couple packs of Swazi Gold in the vault. They were extras, so I knew nothing about them and the longer flower time has had them keep sliding to the bottom of the queue.

I'll be watching with great interest to see how your Swazi turns out and hoping to learn something. I've got a decent stash of mostly indica, so I'm thinking it may be time to play with sativas a bit more.

Best of luck with the rest of the run.

Lolo94

What was the island grown widow like?

I tried some mainland grown indoor widow and it smelled like ammonia. It creeped and gave me a panic attack. I hated it! Some of the strongest stuff I ever came across. Really unique effects.

I don't remember the smell in particular. As far as effect, it started out as a strong sativa high that eventually grounded into a less energetic feeling. It wasn't coucklock like some of the hashplants but after a while, it definitely sat you on the couch and make your head spin. The headspinning I didn't like so it was never one of my favorites. For me, the sativa ride was also too sbort. I tried the mainland version a decade later and it was seemed more stoney.

What I remember most was how pretty the bud was compared to alot of the outdoor at the time. It looked like a snowcone with hardly any leaf and just calyx stacked one upon the other.

Lolo94

Salut Lolo! Thank you to report and preserve this SA genetic in Hawaii and in its pure form! Funny ocean move for the Swaziland heritage! I imagine that its moisture fragility is resolved after decades of reproductions! I wonder how is its effects now, still be very pulsating and heart boom or it calmed down into happy/clear sativa? trippy buzz? Also have you seen blueish green pheno in the line?

Good suite to you with the LEDs! Interesting grow bro!

P.S : Here's the Swazi Red line from Afropips. My next step will be its 4th generation, with a lucky cocacola aroma to focus up!

Hola Roms,
Nice pics
This particular Swazi strain made it to the Big Island thru the local traveling surfer community in the 80s. Prior to the Dutch seedbanks, the seeds mainly came from veterans, hippies and surfers.
It's interesting you mention water fragility because this Swazi strain when first planted in upper puna did very poorly in the rain. It was originally inbred in more tropical and dryer lower Puna (Kalapana area) where the weather pattern is more passing showers and breezy. The rainy and colder environment in upper puna basically weeded out the plants most suceptible to mold, mildew, and disease. The first year, most plants were lost. The seeds from the ones that made it were replanted. It was typical of growers in a new environment with a new strain to plant alot more seed than would ever be harvested and cull along the way.

This is not a production strain. Even in the best plants, yield is low. I kept it mainly for the effects. There were others with that high energy, heart racing buzz but this was the most manageable compared to some of the other locally available sativa's. I made a cross with Red Congo that pulled the heart racing, pulsing effect. It wasn't quite as intense but it was also LED grown vs tropics.

The last pure Swazi I smoked was 5 years ago grown by a friend in Hawaii. The high was similar as when first smoked. Not sure what the results will be like indoors. I imagine that the yields will be paltry and will not be as strong (also because parts of the plants will be seeded) but I'm only after the quality.
If I have take an extra hit, so be it.

Lolo94

Day 82 very early flowering. Light cycle at 11 hours. Flowering cycle more or less following short season pattern in Hawaii. Very little stretch so far likely due to having all plants in 1 pot. Unfortunately space is currently very limited and it's a way I've used with other larger varieties to control height.

Had planned on creating some new seeds but all plants were female. Culled the number to the strongest 6. Typically the strain has a high female to male ratio but never saw 9/9 females before. Curious if this has anything to do with being grown inside for the first time. The plant does not show female to male mahus (hermies) outdoors (at least not in all the years I've had it.). We'll see about inside.

Attachments

• Swazi Day 82-B.jpg
    Swazi Day 82-B.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 44

Lolo94

Day 90. Plants have stopped stretching and are now 3 to 4 inches under LED. Tallest plant is 2 feet tall. Surprisingly manageable for a first time
indoor grow with this strain. Not expecting great yields but this strain was never a heavy yielder in Hawaii. Curious to eventually try the end product.

Attachments

• Swazi Day 90_C.jpg
    Swazi Day 90_C.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Swazi Day 90_B.jpg
    Swazi Day 90_B.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 36

oldbootz

Veteran
Hi Lolo94

I would like to call myself a Swazi expert and I have been smoking and growing this variety for about 20 years. I have grown and smoked many types of Swazi and I have traveled through Swaziland, South African and neighboring countries trying out the various offerings of weed i could find and growing a few seeds along the way.

The Swazi that tropical seeds company was selling for some years came from my bag seeds when I sent Aeros (also called Aeritos?) about 500 seeds in mid 2000s.

Its great to hear that you like her effects and that you have a version that is suited to wet climate. A lot of Swazi is grown inland away from the coast and the heavy humidity. You would find better plants suited to humidity but still very similar to Swazi in Durban, Transkei/Ciskei and Mozambique.

Swazi traditionally comes in the red or "rooibaard" (red beard) form which describes the masses of red pistils that remain on the finished product which is darker green. Or the gold form which is lighter in bud color and very different sweeter smell. These traditional forms are not often found anymore as the Swazi types have segregated from the various communities that grow this plant as it has spread all over South Africa as the most produced weed around - nearly always coming with seeds inside that a smoker can plant at home.

I live in Durban, South Africa and when I first started growing the Swazi offerings here there was no problem with humidity causing rot or mildew. It was only after police ramped up aerial pesticide spraying of Paraquat that the weed started to change and then when I planted those seeds (from inland areas now) they would rot and mildew up. The guys who used to run Afropips were from Johannesburg which is on the inland plateau and it makes sense that these types would not take the humidity Roms!

The original types are still around but at lower potency usually and grown in poor rural communities and sold illegally at "taxi ranks" which are basically like bus terminals. But now I'm starting to talk more about the old Durban Poison and less about Swazi... Back in the days the Swazi was usually the lowest quality and most available. Imports like Malawi gold cob / Transkei red and gold / real Swazi gold - those were the top quality bud of the time. Durban poison was a more local type not as highly regarded, but still exported to other South African cities. These types of weed were very distinct from each other - something that has broken down over the years. A lot of South African sativa now days is not easily traced back to any specific variety and has traits of both old sativas and modern indica hybrids.

I have connections here with some people on the same mission as myself which is to revive some old varieties by using our collective knowledge to judge morphological characteristics, smells, effects and match to our knowledge of our youth while we test out many different poor persons rural seed batches that have had nothing to do with indicas. The last 3 years I have been growing and made some crosses and had limited success. We are getting there slowly. The major problem is with intersex on the more rare landraces. With Swazi the main problem is modern genetic pollution.

The old landraces had virtually no CBD. In pockets of the old landraces there was some indica mix at some stage and the "Swazi" that comes from those is thicket leaved, makes red eyes, munchies, energy for 15 minutes followed by confusion and couch. The taste from those types is mostly towards the "earthy" direction.

The ones that I like have citrus smells usually lemony or mango/guava, and delicate perfume smells that don't transfer to smoking once lit. The pistils are thin and long, the calyx are also long but slender and they stack to a spear shape.

If you want to chat more send me a PM.

Lolo94

@Oldboots. Thanks for the local knowledge and historical background. The Swazi I have is lighter green. The pistils are long and slight (hard to see during preflower)and the calyxs are small. The smell is typically sweet and I guess could be described as lightly perfumy. This smell does not translate to the taste. The taste is not great in my opinion. Not sure how to describe it, not skunky, but also not fruity like some other sativa's. It's rather bland actually.

The finished product is light in color and cures to a more golden look. The buds are wispy and a little leafier than other pure sativa's I grew in Hawaii. The resin is nothing like modern hybrids. More of a glazed look vs Snow covered. It also stores well for several years.

All the above is based on outdoor growing only. Not sure what'll happen indoors in less than ideal conditions. Took a few clones that I'll likely cross to my current go to strain (Swazi male x Red Congo female).

Lolo94

Swazi day 129. Light schedule changed to 10.5 hours on, 3 days ago. Flowering 8.5 weeks so far. Will likely go another 4 weeks or so. Stopped fertilizing last week.

Attachments

• Swazi Day 129_B.jpg
    Swazi Day 129_B.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Swazi Day 129_C.jpg
    Swazi Day 129_C.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 38

Ramsthepharoah

Hi Lolo94

I would like to call myself a Swazi expert and I have been smoking and growing this variety for about 20 years. I have grown and smoked many types of Swazi and I have traveled through Swaziland, South African and neighboring countries trying out the various offerings of weed i could find and growing a few seeds along the way.

The Swazi that tropical seeds company was selling for some years came from my bag seeds when I sent Aeros (also called Aeritos?) about 500 seeds in mid 2000s.

Its great to hear that you like her effects and that you have a version that is suited to wet climate. A lot of Swazi is grown inland away from the coast and the heavy humidity. You would find better plants suited to humidity but still very similar to Swazi in Durban, Transkei/Ciskei and Mozambique.

Swazi traditionally comes in the red or "rooibaard" (red beard) form which describes the masses of red pistils that remain on the finished product which is darker green. Or the gold form which is lighter in bud color and very different sweeter smell. These traditional forms are not often found anymore as the Swazi types have segregated from the various communities that grow this plant as it has spread all over South Africa as the most produced weed around - nearly always coming with seeds inside that a smoker can plant at home.

I live in Durban, South Africa and when I first started growing the Swazi offerings here there was no problem with humidity causing rot or mildew. It was only after police ramped up aerial pesticide spraying of Paraquat that the weed started to change and then when I planted those seeds (from inland areas now) they would rot and mildew up. The guys who used to run Afropips were from Johannesburg which is on the inland plateau and it makes sense that these types would not take the humidity Roms!

The original types are still around but at lower potency usually and grown in poor rural communities and sold illegally at "taxi ranks" which are basically like bus terminals. But now I'm starting to talk more about the old Durban Poison and less about Swazi... Back in the days the Swazi was usually the lowest quality and most available. Imports like Malawi gold cob / Transkei red and gold / real Swazi gold - those were the top quality bud of the time. Durban poison was a more local type not as highly regarded, but still exported to other South African cities. These types of weed were very distinct from each other - something that has broken down over the years. A lot of South African sativa now days is not easily traced back to any specific variety and has traits of both old sativas and modern indica hybrids.

I have connections here with some people on the same mission as myself which is to revive some old varieties by using our collective knowledge to judge morphological characteristics, smells, effects and match to our knowledge of our youth while we test out many different poor persons rural seed batches that have had nothing to do with indicas. The last 3 years I have been growing and made some crosses and had limited success. We are getting there slowly. The major problem is with intersex on the more rare landraces. With Swazi the main problem is modern genetic pollution.

The old landraces had virtually no CBD. In pockets of the old landraces there was some indica mix at some stage and the "Swazi" that comes from those is thicket leaved, makes red eyes, munchies, energy for 15 minutes followed by confusion and couch. The taste from those types is mostly towards the "earthy" direction.

The ones that I like have citrus smells usually lemony or mango/guava, and delicate perfume smells that don't transfer to smoking once lit. The pistils are thin and long, the calyx are also long but slender and they stack to a spear shape.

If you want to chat more send me a PM.
I bought the 70s durban poison from tropical seeds. Was going to do an open pollination with all the males and females to always have some in my library. Do you know anything of the authenticity of these seeds?? Thanks in advance!!

Cvh

Supermod
I bought the 70s durban poison from tropical seeds. Was going to do an open pollination with all the males and females to always have some in my library. Do you know anything of the authenticity of these seeds?? Thanks in advance!!

Me and a friend of mine have the same seeds.

But I'm sorry mate they are not from the '70's. It are bagseeds that the person African Herbman brought back from buds he bought in the streets in Durban in the 2000's.

Also checkout the Cannabiogen Durban. Both the Tropical Seeds version and CBG originate from this same source.

Read up on the history on these seeds here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8634700&postcount=5

And this is a thread which is dedicated to these seeds:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8634700

Lolo94

Nice long beautiful colas. I wish one of them had been male!!

I still have 30 or so seeds stored in the fridge and will likely try another round of reproduction after this I'll put in a few Swazi/Red Congolese F1 crosses also to hopefully create a 75% Swazi hybrid. The Swazi/Red Congo cross is a nice activity stimulating high that does well in my limited growing space.

Lolo94

Update day 139:. Fan leaves are yellowing and dropping at about the same rate they would outdoors. Cut 2 small lower buds to try this weekend. Likely could go a little longer but curious about quality. Stigmas are dried. Rest will probably go 2 to 3 weeks. Seems like it's ripening a little faster under LEDs than outdoors.

Attachments

• Swazi_Day 139_B.jpg
    Swazi_Day 139_B.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Swazi_Day 139_A.jpg
    Swazi_Day 139_A.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 34

Lolo94

Smoke test update:
2 small buds were air dried for 4 days.
Took 3 hits on a Pax initially, then 1 more 5 minutes later because I wasn't feeling much at first. Full effects came on after 15 minutes. At the beginning it created a hyper awareness of everything around and too much scrambled energy to just sit and relax. Just sitting actually made me slightly paranoid. Had to take a couple deep breaths to recenter/try to focus. Tried cleaning but after 15 minutes of it was too energetic and unfocused. Started doing sets of pullups with breaks of longboard skating and compost turning in between for the next hour or so. The lack of focus turned into a hyper focus on everything from perfect pull-up technique to the movement of the red Wiggler's in the compost and to trying to master effortlessly moving the board. The impromptu workout did a great job of settling the energy down and the high became more relaxed and focused. Enough to spend the next hour or more happilly finishing the house cleaning. Overall, the high lasted about 3 hours and faded away nicely without any couchlock. It was a fun time, although my body is a little sore today