What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

P's LED fridge grow

the p

Alright you fucks, I have my third attempt at getting a successful harvest and will document it here for everyone's entertainment. Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who posts on here. I would have never had the courage or knowledge to embark on an adventure like this without seeing your success first. :tiphat:

So after 2 previous cab designs, each progressively getting bigger, I have decided on a refrigerator. My first run in it produced all males so that was pretty disheartening. I axed them last night and dropped a half dozen bag seeds that were a gift.

While the last run sucked, I was able to get a finely tuned growroom that is always where i want it. I installed a 6k btu window shaker ac unit. When I set it at 80 in dry mode, it keeps a nice 78 degrees. I have a 4" personal fan extracting air out of the back. That will be replaced with an inline fan when funds allow. I have already purchased the carbon filter from my local hydro store. I went from using dual 42w Cfls to a diy 6 bulb 9w LED setup that i learned from Blynx over here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=190726

Fcv6voA.jpg

CDp9tpA.jpg

BaAaAbz.jpg

I will post more photos as the seeds progress. :woohoo:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey P, I love your concept and will follow along... wanting to do the same for many years now.

the p

Alright guys, I am back with an update. Last night I transferred the seeds from a small cup of tap water to a moist paper towel. I folded the paper towel into quarters and put it into a ziplock bag. I then put the bag in my refrigerator (the grow fridge, silly). I left them there for 24 hours before I checked on their progress.

LFUb4gT.jpg

I numbered the seeds based on approximate length. Also all of these seeds were approximately 0.125" in diameter with an exception of one. That one is also the only seed to have not cracked already. I will have to keep an eye on that one.

Here is seed #1. It was dark, olive colored with a taproot that measured 0.625".
6zNOmne.jpg

Here is seed #2. It was dark, olive colored with a taproot that measured 0.25"
hjsvJDi.jpg

Here is seed #3. it was dark with brown spots and had a taproot that measured 0.3125".
0zhBZ8G.jpg

Seed #4 was dark, olive colored and had a taproot that was less than 0.0625". I did not take a picture of this one because it was difficult to see next to the ruler but is clearly seen in the above picture.

Seeds #5 and #6 were put back into the paper towel to germinate.

Seed #5 had cracked but the taproot has not emerged yet.

Seed #6 has yet to crack.

Here are the four that I decided to put in solo cups today.
ynwywp5.jpg

the p

I probably should've let seeds #3 and #4 continue germinating for a day but I don't have much experience yet. That is a major reason I made this thread. I am also trying to have some accountability to those who follow along because sometimes I do things without knowing completely what I am doing.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey bud, yep everyone learns something from blynx.
You'll get more responses though if you upload your pics here, as most of us won't click off site links to see what you're doing.

the p

Thanks for the advice GMT. I was unaware that the pictures are only links. i will review the proper way to upload then try again.:tiphat:

the p

Alright so I have learned how to upload pictures to my album. I will edit my original post and put the pictures into it. Thanks again GMT!

the p

So apparently I cannot edit any of my posts yet so I will just post a few of the ones I linked previously.

This is the current cab setup

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cool, so did you have to vent gasses or will the fridge actually cool the lights?

the p

The lights only heat output is at the base of the bulb which has the ac blowing air right over them. I have a small 4" fan pushing air out at the top right of the fridge section. The refrigerator is a side by side with a narrower freezer section. I installed a small 12v CPU fan at the bottom of the freezer section pushing air into the fridge section and a passive intake at the top. The air handler was almost a must in the fridge because of how well insulated it is. The personal fan is not a permanent thing, I am just waiting to buy an inline fan to hook up my carbon filter and they will take it's place. I can take more detailed pictures if anyone is interested.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hmmm, I have to ask, are you doing it as a camouflage exercise? Its just drilling holes in a metal box seems hard work compared to wood.

the p

It is a camouflage exercise, lol. While I would never do something like this without my wife's knowledge and consent(although hesitant), my wife must have the ability to exercise ignorance about this project. Thus is where my "deer fridge" comes in. I still need to build a cabinet on the side of the fridge to hide the ac and ducting, but everything else looks 100% innocent. That reason is also why this must be in my shop, thus not climate controlled.