What's new

compost nutrient availability time?

tech1234

I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with how soon after guerrilla holes are dug and amended are the nutrients available to the plant? curious about early burn and also about having proper NPK all the way through the cycle.

Last years run which turned out quite well was:
36"x18" hole backed filled with quality native plus +
promix
COM lobster compost
black gold worm castings
moodoo cow poop
domo lime
osmocote

I'm just trying to tune this in this year... Below is an interesting read

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/events/2009_osfm_symposium/UC Organic Symposium 010609 05b Hartz.pdf

R

Robrites

I have heard various numbers but 45 days seems to pop up most. It is important to keep turning your piles to allow air inside so the materials can cook and prevent burn. I turn mine every couple of weeks.

sticky367

because you are using osmocote, a chemical nutrient (although an effective and some what balanced nutrient) it may throw of any biological activity in the worm castings/compost and halt compost breakdown

sticky367

you are mixing organics and chemical nutrients, its hard to say what will happen, a side by side test is the best thing I can think of.

tech1234

because you are using osmocote, a chemical nutrient (although an effective and some what balanced nutrient) it may throw of any biological activity in the worm castings/compost and halt compost breakdown

Although anecdotal last years run seemed to prove that there was lots of biological activity because I did not feed enough osmocote to produce these

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with how soon after guerrilla holes are dug and amended are the nutrients available to the plant? curious about early burn and also about having proper NPK all the way through the cycle.

Last years run which turned out quite well was:
36"x18" hole backed filled with quality native plus +
promix
COM lobster compost
black gold worm castings
moodoo cow poop
domo lime
osmocote

I'm just trying to tune this in this year... Below is an interesting read

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/events/2009_osfm_symposium/UC%20Organic%20Symposium%20010609%2005b%20Hartz.pdf
wont use osmocote but tried it once long ago...
the compost is a available quick along with the poo .from worms and cows,steer ,,the chi from the lobsters however lasts a while and releases slowly but the nutes go quick....good start but I have only used osmocote unless rough deal ,long treks and guerilla and even then I preferred marine cuisine... .....yeehaw...in general anything organic you can make a tea out of will be fast acting and short lived...some is so quick and strong it will wipe out all your plants...only 2 times did I fuck up and do it ..BLOOD MEAL and guano

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have more than 1 pile....use 2nd year compost while current year turning over.

N

NewAgeGenetics

how many gramms osmocote what they got per plant? lol

nice results!

what kinda osmocote what you use?

tech1234

how many gramms osmocote what they got per plant? lol

nice results!

what kinda osmocote what you use?

I can't recall the specifics right now but a little research should help you. Here's the key points with osmocote:

classic vs plus vs pro ect... the differences are release times and rates and temps and additives like micro nutes (find what works in your plan)

NPK: higher N early and lower N later

I fed at the lower side of their suggested rate. Prob could have fed much harder though

B

BAKED_BEANZ

thats a decent trunk on the first pic. what strain is it ? cheers .

most compost don't last long for me maybe a month ,,anything with shells lasts longer than cow or worm poo tho...using timed release osmocote you don't have to worry bout it

Latest posts

Latest posts