What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud rot knowledge please

maimunji

Hi I grow in 4x4 grow tent and I noticed bud rot in one of my indica cola. Im in week 8 of flowering but trich isn't ready yet. I have strong extractor and 3 oscillation fan but humidity in dark period hit 70%. Temp never been below 75 f in dark period. I need knowledge how to clean my room after harvest, how to prepare for new grow and how to avoid this shit in future.

Granger2

Veteran
You need a dehumidifier. With 70%, you'll keep having the same costly problem. Use an AC if needed to AC the room the tent is in. Same with dehu. Good luck. -granger

B

bigganjabud

Do you keep your fans running 24/7?

If you do and your still getting it your environment is set up wrong
Have you got fan controllers ??

When you say a powerful extract what size we talking?

I don't understand how your hitting 70% rh if your set up properly

maimunji

Yes I run fans and extractor 24/7. Fans directly blow plants. I have 340 cfm. extractor 6. running on high speed no fan controller. I keep window in my room open to extract hot air. Rh is affected by outdoor temp and rh. Right now outside temp is 65 f and rh is 82%.

B

bigganjabud

You need a stronger exhaust mate I think might be an idea to run an active intake aswell

Therealzemi

The answer has already been given. With that high RH outside the room, there is no way you can get the grow room RH down where you want it. You need a dehumidifier.
I small tip. Since you already found infected buds, do a test on all the buds. Gently pull fanleafs that are sat between dense buds. If they snap off with ease, they have mold. I would seriously consider harvesting the whole crop now, and get the grow room sorted for the next grow. Or you risk loosing most of your crop.
I just threw out half a crop because of mold. I ran at 60% RH on purpose (15-20% higher that i normaly do in late flower). Especially low stretch dense indica are prown to mold.
Good luck with future grows :)

maimunji

Ok what to use to clean room tent and equipment? It is nessesary to use fungicide or just need to wash everything with bleach?

Granger2

Veteran
Between crops I spray undiluted Hydrogen Peroxide 3% on the walls, floors, etc. Disinfects, then quickly degrades into water and oxygen. No residual. Bleach works, but with a stubborn residual. Some may want that, but I don't think I need it. Good luck. -granger

maimunji

Ok one week later no sign of bud rot on other bud and plants. This cola touch mular and I hope this will be the reason . I will keep update.

Big-Narstie

doesnt matter how big or powerful ur fan is if the humidity outside is that high you need a dehue simple.

you shouldnt have to clean up that much just a quick wash down with a weak bleach solution.

get a small dehumidifier whack it in ya tent n run it at lights off.. or get a bigger one n run it outside your tent.

it happens to the best of us.. until you get a dehue that is!

without a doubt the contact with the mylar is the culprit bro, it'll sweat touching a surface like that. but with a low RH it wouldnt of happened.

MrBungle

A lil Potassium Silicate could help the situation... I use it as part of my nutrient solution, but it works well as a foliar application as well

coldcanna

Veteran
Without seeing pics I'd just throw some general advice for the future- proper defoliation below the top 18" or so of canopy and the bottom 1/3 of smaller lateral branches really helps to keep air moving through the flowers, I do this on my outdoor runs living in a super damp, nasty growing region and it makes a difference. Also look for any fan leaves that seem to be covering or touching other bud sights, sometimes that little bit of shade and moisture retention is all it takes to start an infection. Hope that helps-

sticky367

This is just a small tip for damage control, not a solution: When you first discover Botrytis or "bud rot" inside a cola be very careful when removing the surrounding plant matter, you could disturb the spores causing them to become air borne and further infest your crops. You can bring a plastic bag to the affected plant and cut out the buds with mold and seal the bag immediately instead of walking through your room with the moldy bud in hand to the trash.

Same with Powder mildew, that stuff is like plant herps

Once you find bud rot assume that the spores have been distributed to other plants and you'll want to put extra effort into preventative measures. its even better to always assume its coming and take any precautions you can, I might be butchering this one but, a gram of prevention is worth and ounce of…bud? :)

Good luck my dude read up on what conditions cause botrytis to thrive, know thy enemy. Theres also a lot of info around on preventative sprays and beneficials which can be used in a rotating regimen so that the botrytis has trouble adapting to them.

Edit: don't spray anything you wouldn't wanna smoke yourself. It doesn't need to come to using harsh chemicals, although you may feel panic in those situations, planning ahead next round with proper investments in climate control and prevention will help without causing you to smoke poison

maimunji

Yesterday humidity in tent hit 76%. I really start to worry and inspect plants everyday. No sign of but rot. They finish 10 week of 12 12, but I can see clear trich and only few amber. I want to harvest when trich are around 20%, 30% amber but with that high humidity Im really scared. I have only 4 plants and I lst from the beginning this may help if some buds will be affected I will chop this buds and will leave the rest. If plants only have one main cola I think but rot will destroy my crop easily. Next grow dehumidifier for sure.