What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humboldt county regualtions

sticky367

I'm having trouble understanding Humboldt county regulations. Looking for current regulations/ code
So on parcels 1/2-5 acres you can only do 5 plants outside, what about larger parcels? and what if your docs recommendation says more than 5?
any help here would be appreciated, is there a site I'm missing that explains these regulations better?
I've found this:

HS 11362.77, which sets a minimum statewide guideline of 6 mature plants OR 12 immature plants AND up to 8 ounces of processed cannabis flowers. Physician's note exempts larger amounts.

and on NORML's site, this for Humboldt:
Humboldt Co.
At a June 5, 2014 Planning Commission meeting, a time of 6 PM on June 19 was set for a public hearing on an ordinance to restrict growing on parcels five acres or smaller. On the agenda were amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and Local Coastal Program (LCP) to regulate outdoor cultivation of medical marijuana for personal use on parcels ranging from ½-acre to 5 acres in size. For parcels within this size range, the ordinance would authorize cultivation by qualified patients of up to 5 mature plants with canopy size not exceeding 50 square feet. Outdoor cultivation of medical marijuana on parcels less than 1/2 acre in size would be prohibited. Thanks to Woods and Esteban of HUMMAP for the report.

On May 1, 2014 the Humboldt County Planning Commission heard a proposal to ban outdoor cultivation on small parcels.See agenda. At the meeting, activists, including HUMMAPers, Bonnie Blackberry of CLMP, Kristin Nevedal of EGA, and Cal NORML legal committee attorney Ed Denson, successfully stalled Humboldt Supervisor Sundberg's attempt to fast-track the proposal, citing environmental concerns. Instead the planning commission will take its time and gather public input on the matter.

On October 22, 2013 the Humboldt County BOS sent back to a sub-committe for drafting a proposal to extend the terms of the existing indoor cultivation ordinance to allow the same amount of cultivation outdoors on parcels from ½ acre to 5 acres without any permit or registration. Cultivation would be limited to 50 square feet and no more than 5 mature plants, and would be disallowed within 20 feet of any neighboring residence. This stated aim is to reduce the impacts of large grows in rural neighborhoods, while providing the assurance that a small but reasonable amount of cultivation shall not be considered a nuisance. This proposal does not attempt to address large grows on large parcels. Read proposal.

On March 5, 2013 the Humboldt Board of Supervisors announced a series of public meetings to discuss a proposed outdoor cultivation ordinance. This would replace the current county guidelines allowing patients 100 square feet with no plant number limit per Humboldt's 2004 ordinance.

On May 8, 2013, the Board referred the issue back to the MMJ Subcommittee (Ryan and Lovelace) to try to develop something that addresses only neighborhood impacts, ignoring the environmental harm being done in rural areas by larger grows.

On 12/14/2011, the Humboldt county passed an ordinance limiting indoor gardens to 50 square feet per parcel, and 1200 watts, regardless of the number of patients.

Both indoors and out, patients in Humboldt county are currently permitted 3 pounds.

The Cities of Fortuna and Eureka enforce SB 420 limits (6 mature/12 immature plants, 1/2 lb) indoors and out. Also see: Eureka and Arcata (above).

Last edited:

relic1981

Veteran
i think thats the most current data... i couldnt find any info that wasnt outdated except norlm's site. the way i understan it to be "legal" 6 plants mature indoors with no more than 1500 watts and no bigger than 100 square feet. keep in mind thats for each recc. so if your growing for other people your count goes up. outdoors i dont think it really matters how big your parcel is. that being said its quasi legal to do a whole lot more. to be safe and make sure your not prosecuted id keep it around 4-5 lights with no more than 99 plants. most growers busted by local cops just get their stuff seized and are raely prosecuted. same as with outdoor if you keep it under 100 plants camp wont even bother. their going after the cartel's and big grows. i think 1000 plants is their minimum .. its all about staying safe, keeping your mouth shut unless your doing business, use common sense and you will be fine. there are so many people blowing it up that a small grow is usually ignored. waste of time and energy.

Latest posts

Latest posts