What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

oregon questions.

ninjaturt

How's it going. This is my first post, as the search bar has always been good to me. forgive me if this is the wrong section. I am looking for information from Oregon outdoor/greenhouse growers. I had been doing my thing in norcal, but it seems like just about all counties now have these new restrictions on garden sizes. So I am looking to move to Oregon. Unfortunately it seems like Oregon's climate is completely different to what I am used to. The coast seems to humid and rainy, and it seems like the east is really cold and dry with a short season. Where is the best place and method for outdoor/greenhouse? south eastern? I guess I would have to use a heated greenhouse and bring in all my water? I am just trying to get an idea how much harder this is going to be then the pretty much perfect conditions I am used to. On the plus side, it seems like houses/land are dirt cheap. Thanks guys.

Oregon has plenty of growers. Look for weather data, but realize you will be new to a very developed scene and not welcome by locals. No offense intended, just the reality.

Maybe he's just looking to grow for himself and isnt looking to get into the biz.
Or is oregon against all new residents? I can understand that point of view as oregon is blessed
with natural beauty which usually gets ruined as more people move in.
Yup, the world is overpopulated.

ninjaturt

yea. I know how it is. I am not trying to move in next door and put up a mega op. The green rush is over. it was nice while it lasted. I just want a place to mind my own business. Things in my area got out of control and ruined. people moving in from out of town. outdoors in suburban neighborhoods. bad wiring burning down houses. now most counties have ordinances make it impossible for me to just live the way I want to live without being in fear. indoor gardens restricted to 1200w TOTAL. I cant even run 1k for flower with anything left for vedge. my family cant live like that.
I have been pouring over climate maps and weather data for weeks. I cant seem to figure it out. it seems like west of the cascades is budrot city. east is freezing high desert. I am trying to find the happy medium. I keep seeing all these articles talking about southern OR being the perfect climate for 6 elbow monsters. I personal don't like plants over 1.5 but if I get budrot it is 0. and high desert has like a 60 day grow season. that isn't even enough time for 1 dep a season.
someone help me, I am not some duche bag trying to make a grow op out of a rental home, thinking I am going to take over the new recreational market. Lets just make this a what area grows the most chronic outdoor discussion.
thanks guys.

ninjaturt

Yes. it is completely insane. Look up the new regulations by county. they are all different, but it has pretty much made collective grows impossible. If you have more then one mmj user per household you are out of luck. So I am forced to move, or we have to buy expensive mediocre meds from dispensaries. lake county used to be great. now indoor is limited to 1200w, and the safety dept and sheriff need to check it out! outdoor is banned under 1 acre. over an acre 6 plants. 20 acres+ if it is zoned STRICTLY for agriculture u can have 48 plants. Humboldt is 1200w and 25 square feet regardless of how many patients. almost every county has an ordinance now, and they are so confusing.
My household needs 4k of flower and a handful of outdoor plants. I am not taking any chances. I have been fucked by the California legal system.

Damn dude, I had no idea Cali became that restrictive. I always thought some areas allowed 99 plants etc.
The sweet spot for OR is around medford, ashland and williams but it probly isnt going to be as permissive as cali. Colo might be something to consider if you can join a collective but you probly already know that. It is cold there but there is kindof a banana belt around canon city, pueblo, grand junction, and cortez. Michigan allows 12 plants per patient, 5 patients max which adds up to 72 plants if you add in yourself. No banana belts over there unfortunately but its still more conducive to gardening than most high desert areas. Good luck with it.

I lived on the South Western Oregon coast for 12 years. Look at the Obrien, Cave Junction Kerby area. Also Provolt and the Applegate Valley are awesome areas to grow greenhouse and outdoor. Ive seen some MONSTER plants there. Weather can always be an issue there especially if there are early rains in October like what happened this year. Farming in the elements is ALWAYS inherently risky.

People are chill if you are chill, but being the new kid on the block can pose challenges anywhere. Best of luck to you.

Former Guest

well, I'm not from Oregon but anything on the west side is going to be humid and fluctuating temps and the further east is going to be more dry. if you want to do outdoor, I would go to Medford as it is the closest area that is not in the mountains where you would deal with more snow than being at sea level and it is close to norcal or anything along the border. you will only get one season of light dep. Oregon laws I think only allow for 6 plants?? Washington allows for 15 with three people per garden bringing your total to 45 but western Washington outdoor is pretty tough with most people having budrot and pm issues as a commonplace occurrence. the east side of the states would be dryer and more consistent temps with not as many fluctuations in the so mold issues probably wouldn't be as bad but the winters are much colder than the western side of the states near the ocean. I don't know if that helps much.

If it were for personal use only, the OP would not be asking the questions he/she is. That said, there's a wealth of data available to prospective émigrés.

The geographic distribution of marijuana production within a state is related to (1) local policies / enforcement level, (2) ecology, and (3) cultural proclivity (influenced by both social and economic factors). Let's start with the Oregon medical program. Where are all the patients (controlling for population differences)?

2014.jpg

card_density--2014.png

This should give you a pretty good idea about where the sweet spots are (in general terms). As you know, finding the perfect spot in these diverse ecological areas is akin to siting a pinot noir vineyard.

There is also an existing production structure, the scope of which is directly related to the OMMP law. Take a look at the following chart; Oregon medical producers fit a power law distribution (based on the number of patients registered at one address).

Power_Law.png

This tells us that the Oregon market is likely mature already. As Governor Tom McCall so famously quipped in 1971: "Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live."

Former Guest

I love how medical mj has proprietor information. making money off the medical needs of others. I mean I get it as I am studying business. gotta make a living right, but so does Eli Lily and they even offer financial patient assistance programs for patients who qualify. I've always found this most amusing.

For example: this dispensary I go to has a blue cheese and I asked them who's blue cheese is it and they said they don't know but they want an extra $2 a gram for it. they also have a Frost that they won't tell me the lineage too but just that it's a couchlock indica and don't you worry about that because it's proprietory. people won't sell cuts to someone for personal use or give out info to help patients because it's all about money. I thought this is supposed to be a collective garden for patients? not a retail store or kin to the ingredients they don't list on nute bottles because they don't want to share the formula. it's just weird to me. and I run2400 watts and that's for two people who want to smoke hash due to lung cancer issues so not everyone is growing a bunch of flower to smoke.

Last edited:
well, I'm not from Oregon but

Pretty much summarizes it for me. Not sure what the other post is about, as I said nothing about money or proprietary varieties. Oregon produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 4x-5x the marijuana it consumes, which gives us the lowest prices in the country. The majority of people here do not go to dispensaries because it's way cheaper to just have a relationship with an established grower. And we have a lot of those. Going that route, medical patients do not pay much for their supply here (~$50 / oz. on average).

If you are interested in the structure of Oregon's market, check this free article out:
http://www2.humboldt.edu/hjsr/issues/issue%2036/10_CRAWFORD_Oregons_Informal_Marijuana_Economy.pdf

Former Guest

I'm from Washington and he wanted to know about the weather so that was in regards to that post. in the other post, big growers who want to enter a new market that is unfriendly because it is flooded suggests to me thatyou are talking about bigger business. oz are more than $50 unless you're :jerkit: that sounds like a friend deal and that wouldn't involve any type of market that is flooded IMO as our market is "flooded" and you pay more than $150-200 per oz on a friendly deal. electric and time are worth something unless you're smoking shitty pot. markets sounds like business to me. so I think that medical sounds like profits and what type of things profit in medical......

but really if you want to discuss this you should create a thread as he wants to know about weather. but point very well taken on how unfriendly Oregon really is.

The responses I've provided so far give the OP all the baseline data he needs to understand the Oregon ecology, economy, and enforcement of policies. There's nothing unfriendly about it. If you read between the lines (or read the paper I provided a link to), you might gain a bit of insight--both into the Oregon situation and your own in Washington (they are inextricably linked to Oregon's export-oriented market). I'm not making up numbers. This is the substantiated reality.

petert

Pretty much summarizes it for me. Not sure what the other post is about, as I said nothing about money or proprietary varieties. Oregon produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 4x-5x the marijuana it consumes, which gives us the lowest prices in the country. The majority of people here do not go to dispensaries because it's way cheaper to just have a relationship with an established grower. And we have a lot of those. Going that route, medical patients do not pay much for their supply here (~$50 / oz. on average).

If you are interested in the structure of Oregon's market, check this free article out:
http://www2.humboldt.edu/hjsr/issues/issue%2036/10_CRAWFORD_Oregons_Informal_Marijuana_Economy.pdf

The average grower/patient deal here in Oregon tends to be 1oz per month, I've heard of some getting 2oz per month but probably depends on the patients situation and the growers output.
I am a grower and have patients and I provide 1oz per month OR the cash equivalent I get for my excess at dispensaries which is $150? I get $100 for my outdoor.
As for growers in Oregon not welcoming other growers? At least here in the eastern Columbia Gorge we are welcoming to people asking advice.

chemberry

oregon may grow herb but they hate herb growers legal or not watch your ps and Qs same with washington if your for yourself you will be fine try to make a a living off it you might find yourself hung up in the back woods son
sorry but we country