What's new

Soil materials thread

sticky367

I typically see mixes with:

1/3 peat
1/3 drainage (perlite, pumice, lava)
1/3 compost, castings, amendments, etc

I was wondering if Fir Bark 1/4'' minus or 1/8'' minus can be used to replace a portion of the peat.

instead of 33% coco or peat, maybe:

10% firbark 1/4''minus
23% peat
+
1/3 drainage (perlite, pumice, lava)
1/3 compost, castings, amendments, etc

Does anyone have anything against fir bark? would it need to be aged, or nitro-lized? How is that done if so?

I hear fir bark breaks down slowly so I assume it would be a good base material, and its a little cheaper than coir/peat moss

Any feed back would be great, I might be able to show you an older analysis of it to get an idea of the numbers. I am still learning and asking a lot of questions, I would like to add to this website, please let me know if there is any way I can contribute I have been doing research on soil materials recently. So feel free to post questions here as well.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No real experience, but I've been slowly moving towards wood products after reading about 5-1-1, Ruth Strouts system, pine chips to replace perlite, etc. Everytime I break apart a rootball, any "foamy" wood bits are invaded with roots.

Besides a suggestion to precompost with a bit of nitrogen amendment I haven't got much to give. At least, that is what I would do. Cover and encourage fungi.

C

ct guy2

My understanding is that's it's a cheap filler in many commercial potting soils, as it's a byproduct of the lumber industry. I believe fir bark has some anti-microbial properties, is very slow to break down, and there was some other reason I can't remember off the top of my head why it wasn't ideal.

Latest posts

Latest posts