What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Pre-Soviet" Afghani Question

Reign of Terror

What happened to the afgani mj when the soviets invaded? Because there must be a reason why people must claim that their afghani is a "pre-soviet" but i can't find out what happened for them to say that.

Reign

G

Most Afghan farmers went to war against Russians and/or had to leave their fields and thus tha selective breeding was like put to the back seat..? So to speak.. Just quessing here. :wave:

PS.
Everything used to be better :pointlaug

GoodbyeBlueSky

methinks it has something to do with the islamists taking power around that time...

they cut down opium production in a massive way... i can only imagine they did the same with pot...

zamalito

Veteran
I think its the combination of commercial production to fund the majaheden making people take less pride in their work and the fact that the farmers couldnt cultivate in the same fields everywhere and moved every year because of the fighting so many stopped growing altogether. Even before the war quality suffered just from commercial pressures to make higher yields and more frequent harvests. Similar to the kif strains in morroco where the plants traditionally would be grown for very fine quality bud only then because of the market potential to supply westerners they switched to hash and then to commercial hash and now everyone is just concerned with overall hash yield with very few concerned with quality at all. In both places the genes are still there but the quality has taken many steps back and a lot of work has to be done to repair the damage done by commercial pressures and cultivation. Granted morroco fell a lot further where they had one of the best drug landraces in the world became one of the most mediocre to be used for drug use. It doesn't seem likely in morroco but hopefully in afghanistan they will breed it back to what it once was and a few co.'s have some decent morrocan strains but from the description I've read of the old kif flowers sounds like it used to be some amazing bud before hashish production took over. Tim leery wrote something about the old kif flowers that sounds pretty good.

Reign of Terror

lol i know you would know zam cause i saw you at quejo's forums as im there too and i know you have a pre soviet affy too.

but about the genes being brought back, i think im pretty sure about this one but due to that earthquake last summer i believe a lot of the genetics are lost, and by a lot i mean, there are people that know mj farmers in the middle east and they have sent BOG's genetics over there...so i think the middle east may still have very few, true strains anymore. but people all over the world do still possess them, but i think the earthquake did too much of a toll to see any true landrace shit there

Just a thought,
Reign

zamalito

Veteran
Yeah and before that they had like a 7-10 year drought had the us invasion then one good year then an earthquake. After that I'm sure theyr like fuck it lets make opium and get 2 crops instead of one. You're probably right they might not exist at all anymore.

Reign of Terror

mriko i believe thats the name at quejo is literally the only person i believe to posess anumber of pure landrace afganis, and pakistanis...contact quejo about the preservation and when the seeds will be avail

okwildfire

well thank you all for the great read! kinda clears things up a bit..hmmm?? now who was that i seen selling pre sov. affie? danm it my head hurts to bad to think..ill check later...once again thank you.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reign of Terror said:
mriko i believe thats the name at quejo is literally the only person i believe to posess anumber of pure landrace afganis, and pakistanis...contact quejo about the preservation and when the seeds will be avail

Don´t forget TomHill´s stock!!
I have a released Paki,the PTK,but also have an "unreleased" paki line,I was given this last labeled as "X-18",and it rocks!! :joint:

zamalito

Veteran
Raco your deep chunk pics inspire me. Did yours come from tom hill himself or from hill temple collective? I'm curious about rm's petrolla. I can't remember the seed co that made it originally it was the same guys who made salmon creek and herijuana available originally. The story behind the petrolia is that someone had a jar with some afghan seeds they forgot about for like 20 years.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey zamalito,thanks for the kind words...coming from you,I´m honoured :woohoo:
I´ve been growing DC for almost three years now,and PTK,X-18 and Special Mix for a while too...Tom gifted me all them...I feel like a lucky mofo :D:D:D
And regarding Petrolia Headstash,I never tried it,but Dr Jay told me that he smoked the stuff and it was A+.
Reeferman said that it purples with the slightless cold exposure,and that it´s an excelent line for P1.I think that the Petrolia is one of the strains that he got from Steve Tuck(also Herijuana and Magic Carpet Ride,if I don´t remember bad)
Here are a couple DC´s and some DC pollen :D

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx Reign of Terror,and good to see you!! :wave:
DC nugs from my fav mother :joint:

Tripco

And what's about that story that Nevil went to Afghanistan in 1987, to buy some seeds in Mazar-i-Shariff? I got it somwhere on my hard disc. I'll try to find it and put it on the net.
SMOKEABOWLWHILEYOUWAIT...

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neville actually travelled to pakistani border,not Afghanistan.He brought a couple kilos of mazari seeds back with him.
Sam_Skunkman said that Neville told him that this strain was a wash-out,not potent,and therefore,he dropped it from his catalogue.
An indoor DC leaf:

Latest posts

Latest posts