What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the difference between Isopropanol-C3H8O and Éthanol-C2H6O extracts ?

W

Wannabreed

Hi,

Isopropanol C3H8O
Éthanol C2H6O

i do my extract with medical Éthanol: are ISO extracts a way better ? What is the difference into the final product ? Does pure Isopropanol is hard to get ?

Ty for some answer ^^

i did this with ethanol:

boroboro

In the U.S.A. it's harder for most people to find pure ethanol than isopropanol. I would sure use ethanol if I could find it at a reasonable price.

Very nice looking stuff you have there!

Last edited:
W

Wannabreed

Hi, ty for answer !
Grain Alcohol 99/100% bottle is that expensive ?

gordonliu

ethanol (not liquor) comes in essentially 3 forms

190 proof = actually 95.6% (not 95%) - this is the most common ethanol that is easy to buy. it is impossible to distill ethanol past 95.6% using conventional techniques. you MUST use a chemical technique to get it past that point.

200 proof. also known as anhydrous ethanol.

muuuuch more expensive.

you RARELY see it used outside of a laboratory. there is absolutely no reason to have 200 proof ethanol for food or medical use. that extra bit of water does not cause any issues in those settings.

in a lab, water can fuck things up big time. injecting water into lab instruments, or water contamination in crystallization or reactions is a big problem.

therefore I reason that the ethanol you have is 190 proof. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

200 proof ethanol (pure) is on the order of 70 euros/liter.

duhh, forgot to add:

the whole point of my post is this:

190 proof ethanol has water.

ANY water in your extracting solvent will cause you to extract things that you would probably like to avoid extracting.

Last edited:
W

Wannabreed

Hey ty for info gordonliu !!

I use medical/pharmacy 90% ethylic alcohol so 10% water ^^
1 L cost ~10 Euros
A green color apprears progressively until its max after ~12 hours mix.
This give a dark green product (first pic).

My actual method is 15 mn mix and 30-1 hour minutes dry (using 2 cpu fan on the plate)

Any other info/point of view welcome
Info about toxicity too ^^

Last edited:
:rasta: you can get denatured ethanol which is 90% ethanol (C5H5OH) and 10% Methanol (CH3OH), you have to get the stuff used for cooking stoves if you don't have access to lab grade, it should have less adulterants. work in a lab and we don't even use anhydrous ethanol. the depot carries it but I am not attesting to the purity. anyway this shouldnt work way better that what u r using as the methanol will evaporate off way before the ethanol and should get trapped in the resin as it gets thicker because it will be long gone by then. then you are left with just thc in ethanol. ethanol will evaporate before water however leaving you with less dry final product as well as some plant matter which came out with the 10% water in the grain alcohol u r using.
Try using denatured alcohol instead of what ur using and u should be much happier. Will work better than IPA as well.

Last edited:

master shake

I've done both, iso many times and ethanol once. I use 91% iso and 95% E everclear. Though I use iso more often, I always have it around, use it to clean my bong and pipes...i think i like the everclear product more; it tastes slightly better, and it's easy to handle (doesn't stick to fingers like iso does). I would have done it again but drank the rest of the everclear from the tiny bottle I bought.

I also don't see why 100% pure solvents are so desired...When i make oil the whole process takes less than an hour. Just freeze the trim/bud and solvent, wash for a min or 2, filter, pour on a plate and rest on stove on med-low heat and everything (water too) evaporates in about 20-30 min.

Last edited:
W

Wannabreed

yeah the question would be also is isopropanol extract really that better than ethanol. I dont have access to lab 99% iso ^^
Also what contains the 9% or 5% of the no iso volume ? Isnt it designed for industrial use ?
I had an horribly stick product with ethanol, btw is not that fun to manipulate TT. Have to wait it drie plenty

gordonliu

With the isopropanol, the excess is water (same with your medical grade ethanol)

keep an eye out for ethanol denatured with ispropanol (instead of benzene or methanol)

they do sell it and for a home oil maker, this is probably the best alcohol you can use seeing as how it is mostly ethanol (non-toxic) and the rest, 10% or so, is isopropanol, which is still pretty safe (obviously not for drinking, but for oil)

the only reasons people use isopropanol are these:

1) easy to buy. they sell it in high concentrations at most pharmacies (99%)

2) relatively non-toxic. not as "good" as ethanol (not safe for ingestion), but not nearly as bad as methanol (which is bad to even get on your skin).

3) will actually make a good extract. the basic premise of oil making is that you take a solvent that is "non-polar" to some degree and use this fact to dissolve the THC in the plant.

it turns out that isopropanol is MORE non-polar than ethanol, although it doesnt make much difference as MOST small alcohols like these are still very polar when compared to things like butane, and so they also dissolve lots of other things as well.

basically, for the average user, it comes down to reason 1. you can buy 99%, which you cannot do with ethanol (unless you want to spend tons of money and effort).

W

Wannabreed

Ty gordonliu for this info, i will also try to get 99% iso at pharmacy, too simple :smile: