What's new

Solvent Question

S

sow the seeds

Just wondering if anyone has tried any other solvents besides butane and ISO for making oil. I searched a bit but didn't find much. I work in a lab and have access to solvents such as methanol, 100% ethanol, ethers, etc. and thought it would be interesting to see if there are better options than the more common ones.

:rasta:

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
try the pure ethanol, its a great way to decrease the likelihood of death or ending up with crappy oil.

gordonliu

pentane is the win. its kinda expensive, and most labs will use hexanes or pet ether because they are cheaper, but this stuff rocks

S

sow the seeds

Aha I didn't search very much because I wasn't even thinking of hexane for some reason. Have to check if we have pentane too, probably not though because we do use a lot of hexane and pet ether.

Might have to put in some OT this week to make some oil. :chin: :joint:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
My hexane thread is here somewhere. I wasn't impressed and the oil had kind of an off taste, hard to describe.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Ether would give you the most best results if you are worrieng about possible residues, because it´s the only that evaporates 100 % in my understanding :chin:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A friend went through all this a while ago, from information on Overgrow. He looked into all the solvents, got teh best, did the extraction, water washed the cr@p out of it..... and made some oil...... however this is a royal PITA and he heard about Butane Honey Oil..... a few cans of Newport [White can only] Butane, 80cm of Copper plumbing pipe... bla bla.... best oil ever, and so so so simple... it does not need washing and as far as I understand it, top possible quality.

gordonliu

You will never be able to remove all of the solvent without using some special techniques and without using a high vacuum pump (like a welch duo seal)

ether makes terrible oil. ether is VERY polar relative to butane, hexane, and pentane. (that oxygen gives it a permanent dipole moment). These polar solvents, including all of the alcohols, will give you a GREEN product.

also, it is very difficult to remove the ether, and because ether has such a distinctive and noticeable smell, you will notice it for a loooooooooong time in your oil.

that is why all the pet distillates (butane, pentane, hexane, etc) are so great for making oil. they are very non-polar, and they can usually be removed without excessive heat or time under the vacuum.

honestly, you cant beat butane.

you certainly wont be able to find a regular solvent that will give you a BETTER extract. maybe MORE, but not better