What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making Oil with ETHYL ALCOHOL

O

OriginalyPosted

can anyone give me a step by step run down of a safe way to make oil with this stuff its 190 proof - 95% from what i understand it should do the trick. ive only made bubble and bho so no experience with making this type of hash so any all help will be more then apreiciated .

O

OriginalyPosted

Ethanol eh so should i not bother to use the ethyl
i allready got some ethyl chillin but i was thinking about going to the hydro store and getting some ISO got a couple elbows of st8 bud to deal with so my next question is how much bud to how much liquid and whats the "best" stuff to use ive searched around here a bit so i kinda got the general idea seems like most people are using mason jars with coffee filters and hot water/low heat to evap the liquid then a whip to turn the oil into budder .i am hoping to end up with somthing golden as opposed to somthing black since im using nuggets i would like to try and get this right the first time allthough i guess its like anything else though practice practice practice .

O

OriginalyPosted

yeah i kinda got the feeling someone was pulling my leg ...

so is this ethyl stuff good to go or what im still confused

from wiki

Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and in thermometers. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol.

Ethanol is also known as EtOH, using the common organic chemistry notation of representing the ethyl group (C2H5) with Et. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism maintains an EtOH database.[1]

Ethanol is a straight-chain alcohol, and its molecular formula is C2H5OH. An alternative notation is CH3-CH2-OH, which indicates that the carbon of a methyl group (CH3-) is attached to the carbon of a methylene group (-CH2-), which is attached to the oxygen of a hydroxyl group (-OH).

Its empirical formula is C2H6O, a formula that it shares with dimethyl ether.

Except for the use of fire, the fermentation of sugar into ethanol is very likely the earliest organic reaction known to humanity,[citation needed] and the intoxicating effects of ethanol consumption have been known since ancient times. In modern times, ethanol intended for industrial use is also produced from byproducts of petroleum refining.

Ethanol has widespread use as a solvent of substances intended for human contact or consumption, including scents, flavorings, colorings, and medicines. In chemistry, it is both an essential solvent and a feedstock for the synthesis of other products. It has a long history as a fuel for heat and light and also as a fuel for internal combustion engines.

U

ureapwhatusow

i hav e used ethanol in the past using a "alcohol bath" as illustrated in Cannabis alchemy.

It is non toxic and a good solvent for beginners

I also use it to dilute oil that I make with other solvents and its great to take a tiny bit and put oil in it drink it. The oil mixes with alcohol and the body absorbs the alcohol very quickly thus you dont wait as long to get off when you eat it

an 1/8th of a shot will absorb enough oil to get you off. After that all you have to do is dillute it if taste is an issue.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Just follow the same instructions for an iso quickwash. The 'alcohols' tend to work the same, its just the oil that tastes different.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
A license in the states for Ethyl? LOL only liscense you need is one showing you are 21 years of age to purchase liquor

gordonliu

devilgoob said:
So it tastes better? I heard you need a license in some states to obtain it.

they dont sell everclear in california. you might be able to get it if you have like a special permit for its use in the food service industry or something. that may be what you are talking about

grumio

California Everclear is 151 proof, the 190 isn't commercially available.

Nor, apparently, in Nevada - friends going to Vegas reported only 151 in the stores. Nevada isn't listed on the wikipedia page as one of the states 190 is illegal in. Is it just a Vegas thing? Any Nevadans know?

I use it for tincture. The 151 makes great tincture, but the 190 would be better, I'm told.

G

I have links to the books online for making oil, on canabiscurescancer.org. I ussed 99.9% from a science store worked great.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
They dont have it in my state either. I have to drive to the state next door to get the 190 proof. Used to be worth it when gas was two bucks a gallon. Not so much now a days.

illchemist

Be careful with the lab grade 99.9% ethanol. That absolute ethanol has been dried with benzene to remove the remaining 5% of water that is always found in everclear. Benzene is super toxic and causes cancer. Do not under any circumstances drink that stuff. That is why they don't need a liquor license to sell it.

Ethanol and water form ~ 95:5 mixture as an azeotrope when purified by distillation. It takes extra work to get it more pure (less water). A bottle of 99.9% ethanol left open will slowly return to 95% by taking moisture out of the air.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
so which would be a better choice for an extraction then? the 191 or the 200 proof w/ traces of benzene.. it seems like 191 is cleaner in terms of toxins yet 200 would yield less water soluble material in the final oil... hrms..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just purchased some Ethyl alchool from CVS.Does it contain that Benzene in it?

Unless it is denatured or anhydrous, probably not.

Despite the truth in labeling laws, the label on the container does not always tell the whole story.

The manufacturer of your alcohol must provide a MSDS sheet for their product. Look it up on line and it will tell you what is in it, as well as other pertinent data.

Note how many different ways the different manufacturers denature ethanol for instance.

GW

Latest posts

Latest posts