What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Methanol for ISO?

ThaiMeUp

Has anyone used methyl alchohol (Methanol) for Iso hash? I have a lot of that actually. It certainly evaporates fast. It seems like it would work okay.

opt1c

Veteran
i have no idea how pure racing grade methanol would be if that is what you have, laboratory grade could be ok but if you have access to that then just put it under a nice hood and use iso as its cheaper... just imagine any leftover methanol burning off though when you were lighting a bowl... might be a little different than alcohol or butane but i haven't tried it... let us know how it goes. :)

gordonliu

methanol is poisonous. the problem with using pure methanol, or really any solvent including isopropanol and butane, is that it is extremely difficult to remove every trace of such solvent from your extract.

it would be, in fact, completely impossible to remove every trace of methanol from an extract done with methanol, even if you had a vacuum pump.

another problem with methanol is that, like isopropanol, it is very "unselective" about what it dissolves.

people often do quickwashs with isopropanol. you would have to cut that time in half for methanol.

methanol is more suited to the extraction of amines (like opiods and other alkaloids) than relatively greasy stuff like THC.

T

texsativa

It would take a few gulps of methanol to kill you. Just so you know, the antidote for methanol poisoning is drinking lots of ethanol (liquor) :bashhead:

Why not use a sieve? The above poster is right, doing a quick iso extraction will give you unpure finished product. In my opinion, save up a couple hundred bucks, by one of the tumber sieves or box, you can have pure head stash without any toxic residue. It's win win.

ThaiMeUp

I think the bags or sieves are starting to sound better. I will have to give it some thought. Bags are probably better for some small, high quality amounts. Even though I have several barrels of methanol, I am not going commercial hash-wise, ha ha..

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
if you want oil with less worry about well, spontaneously exploding or poisoning yourself... you can go the ethanol road. Or, try Compashons solventless hash oil aka Rosin.

Latest posts

Latest posts