What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lime causes aluminum and maybe alzheimers.

Cakes

Calcium carbonate (lime) has been used in a test to try to correct the pH of a stream that had been acidified by acid rain. It worked for the target area but on the perimeter a great deal of aluminum developed. i read that at wiki today and now I wonder if that is happening when we use lime to cultivate.

Elsewhere, long ago, we read a study where the Alzheimers patients were noted to have small deposits of aluminum in their brain. It may that the practice of liming the fields is where that aluminum has come from. maybe people ate it/are eating it in their produce.

And it's our understanding that alzheimers and liming the fields became modern phenomena within a decade or so of each other, so this theory makes sense that way too.

Last edited:

lifetime

steam or stream? unless you're pouring boiling hot water on your plants, i don't think you have anything to worry about.

gordonliu

sorry to dig this up, but I have to emphasize the fact that current research into Alzheimers has absolutely nothing to do with aluminum

many people (not scientists, doctors, etc) seriously believe that aluminum is THE CAUSE of Alzheimers.

the truth is that SOME studies have shown high levels of aluminum in the brains of alzheimers patients and SOME studies have shown no increased levels of aluminum in the brains of alzheimers patients

there is no reproducible correlation

most current research deals almost entirely with genetics and the misfolding of proteins.

this behavior and phenomena is completely unrelated to aluminum

furthermore, aluminum metal is not the concern

it is oxidized aluminum that is the concern. Bauxite, aluminum oxides, and aluminum salts are the types of aluminum found in pharmaceuticals, anti-perspirants, aerosols, fuels, etc.

zerovalent aluminum metal is not a concern, as it is relatively inert.

Storm Crow

Veteran
"it is oxidized aluminum that is the concern"

To be honest, I don't know if this is true or not. However, I just want to point out that when you run fire over aluminum, it oxidizes. So, not using soda cans or foil when toking, might be a prudent course of action.

Also, cannabis appears to have some anti-Alzheimer's properties. Click the link below for the studies.

Granny