What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Droopy, firm leaves

Duellie

I'm guessing a lot of first posts happen here. Not sure if my problems are actually problems, but some opinions would be nice. Its been 14 years since I grew and I just hopped back in.

Plants are 16 days old in DWC with RO water. AN 3 part fert with a bit of CalMag. 610ppm, pH 5.7-5.9, 630watt CMH light.

Forgot to add any Bloom to the water, so they were stunted until I realized I was a bonehead 4 days ago and redid the nutes.

Anyways... one plant seems to be drooping now, although the leaves are still quite firm and healthy looking. Could this just be the way it grows?

My second plant was burning up on its first true leaves prior to the Bloom addition, and now looks healthy, except the leaves are still dying slowly. Does it look like a phosphorous deficiency, or is it something else?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190211_211755.jpg
    20190211_211755.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190211_211832.jpg
    20190211_211832.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190211_211823.jpg
    20190211_211823.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 18

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!! :D

What's the water temp? With DWC, you'll want to keep it below 70F for best results. Below 65F will also slow things down, but above 70F is asking for biological and root rot problems. ;)

How much air are you pushing through how much water? Low O2 levels will make your plant look like it wants water. :D

Duellie

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

The plants are in 105 litre rez with about 70 litres in it. 40 litres of air per minute. PH pen says my water is 20 degrees.

I tried dropping the nutrients 10% and lowering the water level a bit. Also added a humidifier, because its around -30 here, so the air is really dry. Raised the light a few inches too. Hopefully she is better after I get home from work.

Duellie

Seems much better 8 hours after the light raise and humidity increase, 14 hours after dialing the nutrients back a little.There was a tiny bit of nute burn on some leaf tips, hopefully that stopped spreading too.

Douglas.Curtis

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

The plants are in 105 litre rez with about 70 litres in it. 40 litres of air per minute. PH pen says my water is 20 degrees.

I tried dropping the nutrients 10% and lowering the water level a bit. Also added a humidifier, because its around -30 here, so the air is really dry. Raised the light a few inches too. Hopefully she is better after I get home from work.
Water temp is good, you'll want to keep it there or below. Above 21C and you'll risk a lot of biological and root rot issues.

I keep forgetting the recommended liters of air per liters of water. Can someone help me on this one? lol I usually go with 3 watts of airpump power per 10 gallons of nutrient solution. I know, different metrics. heh Check to be sure the bottom of the stem on the plant is dry. If it gets wet all the time, it can rot and affect the ability to absorb oxygen.

Lack of oxygen will definitely cause a plant to look overwatered. :)

Duellie

I think my pump is 80 watts, split between 2 tanks with 18-20 gallons each. Seems like more than enough air. The roots are all pretty white and branchy.

Spaventa, is that 5mls pure h2o2 per liter, or what?

Plants seem better now, though the one still seems to have nutrient burn. I dropped the fertilizer to 460ppm today, to see if it quits. None of the other plants have any burn, but this one is twice the size, so must just be different preferences for such a monster.

Attachments

• 20190214_200710.jpg
    20190214_200710.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190214_200627.jpg
    20190214_200627.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190214_200616.jpg
    20190214_200616.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20

Douglas.Curtis

Sounds like enough air for sure. :)

I recommend reading the res tending thread in my sig. A full pH swing will make things quite a bit easier on you in the long run. :) 460ppm sounds about right for the light you have. Depending on strain, I could see going up as high as 600, but 500 is the average I've seen myself. I don't run super cropper strains or anything which eats a lot of nutrients easily. :)

Spaventa

Veteran
Spaventa, is that 5mls pure h2o2 per liter, or what?

No, it comes diluted, typically 17%. 5ml/Litre of that would eliminate any infection, pathogen or vectors for them.
These are a greater threat in DWC because warm water is very hospitable to them.

In any event, it will still increase oxygen availability to the roots.

It’s a good idea to run a low dose such as 2ml/litre routinely in DWC. It keeps the setup clean and better oxygenated.
H2O2 is water with an extra, unbound oxygen molecule. It is in effect, liquid oxygen.
Plants take CO2 from the air via the leaves and oxygen at the roots.
The oxygen molecule in water is bound so roots in DWC can’t get it.
This is why oxygenation is vital in DWC.

Douglas.Curtis

Personally, I don't recommend H202 very often with hydro for a couple reasons.

1. Too much is detrimental and causes it's own problems
2. It removes beneficial bacteria
3. Forgetting to add it can lead to issues which need to be fixed
4. It's one more product to keep purchasing and using when not needed

Use enough watts of airpump and airstones and there's zero need for h202. I've been growing cannabis indoor, with DWC, for 15+ years and don't use anything in my res. Check the link in my sig, I don't dump my res either and it's clean at harvest time. ;)

Clean up your res management methods and you'll never need h202. :) Put that $12 every few months toward something else you want. :tiphat:

Spaventa

Veteran
I get the beneficial bacteria thing Douglas and will defer to your extensive experience of DWC. I strayed from my own original thinking which was regarding the wilt! Thanks

Duellie

Thanks for the help, guys.

D.C. That's a really good read! Sums up a fairly straight forward path to success, and saves some effort as well. I'm going to try letting my pH swing a little wider on these girls and hopefully save some nutrients too.

Douglas.Curtis

My pleasure, and be sure to post up your results and questions, it's why we're all here. :) Glad my writing comprehension is going up, I can be rather difficult to understand at times. lol

Duellie

Damnit! This keeps spreading on my one plant. Maybe it isn't nute burn. The rest look fine. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20190215_161634.jpg
    20190215_161634.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Latest posts