What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germination Results

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Any method, any breeder, any strain. Indoor, outdoor, soil, coco, paper towels, moon dust. Let's share results.

The popular methods at the moment (at least for older beans) seem to be the Worm Bins and Germination Machine.

At the moment, I don't have the space for a worm bin but I'd like to give it a whack in the future. I'll also probably drop a couple dollars for the germination machine aqua components.

For the moment, I have plastic cups and bare minimum nute components. :dance013:

I got some results on the Khmer Gold we were talking about in the Germination Machine thread. At first the Lapis Mountain Indica looked like it was going to pace everything else, unfortunately that did not happen. Both seeds popped and tails appeared but then receded.

The method was this (and it's by no means perfect but I have had some success with older stock in the past.)

10 oz. water, room temp or just warm (73 degrees was my reading)
1 ml kelp
1 ml Ful-Hum
3 drops Hormex

One batch got 2 drops bleach and one did not. This did not appear to have any real effect.

Lightly scuffed by hand across some sand paper. (Young people don't have match boxes laying around it turns out.)

Dropped the beans in and got tails on the LMI in about twelve hours.

Everything was moved to paper towels and the same concoction was used to wet them. Used the top of a T8 fixture as my warming source. Two bulbs taken out to reduce initial heat and then had a few trays underneath the bags and towels. The more I think about it, it was probably conducting heat rather than reducing it. Hygrometer was telling me that it wasn't any warmer than 79 at the tray surface. It was when I removed these from the warmth for a day that tails began to falter.

Negatives, I think for stock this old, 1ml per was effective to start the process but then too strong after the shells started to crack. Also, I don't think the bleach is truly strong enough but if it was applied to the towel it just stays there. The test I started today contains no bleach. The Hormex was just slightly expired it turns out. Again, probably not really damaging but it's been left out.

Lapis - 0/2 - tails, then death.
Khmer Gold - 2/6 with possibility for 4/6

I don't know how old the Tokeyo Seeds are but I selected some White Rhino x Flow that came with my last order.

Tiger's Milk I estimate to be about 5 years old with very poor care and storage. Perfect for this test. I've got more but I'll save them for a side by side with the germination machine/worm bin.

10 oz. water, .5 ml kelp, .5 ml TM7. This will get diluted again before it gets applied to the paper towel. (If I get that far.)

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Oh and I'll also do some controls. My controls for the first batch are the testimony of a one Mr. Shmavis (LMI/germ machine) and a another from the RGS/Seedboutique section who claimed something like 0/6 on the Khmer Gold. I'll dig it up later.

I'll get some White Rhino and Tigers milk into plain old water later.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Soaked for 19 hrs in the following solution:

1 gallon distilled water
1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/2 ounce Maxicrop
2 drops of SuperThrive

Placed into paper towels wetted with the same solution and put into the germination machine. Checked on 13.5 hours later to find 100% germination - 32.5 hours from seed.

VG’s C4DD:

picture.php

I am new to the germination machine but really like the idea of maintaing a temp, which doesn’t happen in baggies on top of the fridge, lol. Something about using sponges doesn’t appeal to me. Maybe that they seem too porous and create spaces that don’t allow for direct contact, so back to paper towels I went. Although the thermostat on my heater is set at 76 degrees in the machine (is a cheapie) I have found my Ph pen reads it as 80 degrees. Very pleased with the uniformity of the pop on these seeds. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to the germination machine. Going forward I will do more control groups - with and without the machine.

These aren’t old seeds. VG said he thinks they’re two or three years old and had been properly stored in the freezer. A couple even popped during the soak.

Great idea for a thread, bsgospel! Best of luck to all the bean poppers out there! :ying:

hellfire

Female Seeds Grapefruit from 2008

Paper towel method 4 seeds. 3 cracked overnight and then I put them all in rapid rooters the next day. 2 have grown fast about 3 inches tall now. Others haven't shown yet, could be goners dunno yet but its also only been 3 days.

Edit: 3/4 now. Last one is short, should catch up soon.

Last edited:

mexweed

Veteran
seeds from unknown plants that I trashed in winter because they got mites

method not giving a shit because they were supposed to be dead, literally dumped the plants and the soil into a pile of snow and took an axe to it

just today I noticed a couple small plants coming out of the side of the soil pile

one has a real gnarly stem rub and is a bit bigger than the rest, I may go get some insecticidal soap and try taking a cut just for shits in case it's god not letting me lose the colorado chemdog

Cuddles

Never done anything crazy or fancy - I like to keep things simple Paper towel has always worked out, why change ? I once lost a popped seed in the grow pot it was suppose to go in and it went in too deep. It didn´t make it for some reason :(