What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

taking bigger clones

L

larry badiner

ive recently started taking bigger clones. most people's clones are about 5-7 inches tall, but the clones i took are about 12-15 inches. they root about the same as smaller clones, but have the benefit of being much taller

DRM Ranch

ive recently started taking bigger clones. most people's clones are about 5-7 inches tall, but the clones i took are about 12-15 inches. they root about the same as smaller clones, but have the benefit of being much taller

Perfect for the next party cup grow challange...

DeMonet

I know this is old, but what's the secret? Every time I've tried taking very large clones, they wilted and died pretty quickly.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Unless you have big moms it’s a little difficult to take large cuts that don’t have a woody portion of stalk, which slows down the rooting. They also inevitably take up more room in the cloner or tray. It works fine if you have the setup for it & a bit of patience.

L

larry badiner

I know this is old, but what's the secret? Every time I've tried taking very large clones, they wilted and died pretty quickly.

well, your mileage may vary but I use a grow tray with those plastic medium holders with rockwool and roto rooter plugs, I don't spray the clones with water but I put in a generous amount of tap water (mixed with leftover nutrients from watering mother plants) every 5-6 daysdays in the tray and that's enough to keep them alive. within 2 weeks they grow roots and are ready for the big time

the key is low light, cutting/trimming fan leaves and warm temps. always keep the medium wet and warm. its best to remove extra branches that impede the rooting process

if all else fails, moisten some fox farms or roots organic soil, and plant large clones after applying rooting hormone like dip and grow
sorry if I didn't explain in detail before

Starmstr

Skip on the tray dome cut the bottom out of a large water bottle 5-7 gallon and use a saucer with perialite room for 6 10" clones

Medfinder

Chemon 91
I throw mine in an water spray cloner ... 7-12 inch and take 2 cuts and the last cut under water.

depends on water temp and embolism if they throw roots before an week

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Skip on the tray dome cut the bottom out of a large water bottle 5-7 gallon and use a saucer with perialite room for 6 10" clones

What's the humidity % in the room ya leave the clones in... if found dome/domeless all has to do with location and room environment....

I drop fresh cuttings in a cup of nutrient solution as I'm taking them. This hydrates the cuttings and prevents wilting. No domes needed.

L

larry badiner

this is one clone I had in a tray with tap water, you can ph to 6.0 if you want. i don't remember using any cloning supplement, just tap water and a little bit of nutes stuck to the bottom of my watering container. i kept some water in the tray and i check on them once every few days. if i used dip and gro rooting hormone there would be more roots, with visibly long hairs and whiter

remember: bigger clones = bigger roots = bigger plants, from my experience

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The only issue with bigger clones could be the bigger chance to dehidratation and wilting, since they have more plant tissue evaporating water than a smaller clone. That's also the reason some people cut the big leaves a bit.

But apart from that the rest should be the same. Bigger cuts could be definitely useful sometimes.

L

larry badiner

The only issue with bigger clones could be the bigger chance to dehidratation and wilting, since they have more plant tissue evaporating water than a smaller clone. That's also the reason some people cut the big leaves a bit.

But apart from that the rest should be the same. Bigger cuts could be definitely useful sometimes.

from my experience, the most important part of cloning big plants is water, i use these plastic trays and as long as i have some tap water in there, plants will root, i dont use airstones/air pumps and i have not had a clone rot, i use rockwool and roto rooters and they keep water at the perfect level

BC32

I am curious to know if your longer clones ended up working out. I took a couple extra foot long ones and tossed them in the cloner to see if they work.

L

larry badiner

I am curious to know if your longer clones ended up working out. I took a couple extra foot long ones and tossed them in the cloner to see if they work.

Everything’s working fine on my end.

How did your clones go? I took a huge clone of this positronics purple haze plant and gave it to a club, they said it rooted fine. Was about a foot tall

Latest posts

Latest posts