What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Learning how to Cook - Garnishes & Herbs & Spices

St. Phatty

I'm just now eating some radishes, cilantro, and sweet pickles.

That's what I mean by garnishes - APPETIZERS.

Every thing from celery sticks with some dip, to nacho's.

Herb & spice wise, I started cooking with Garlic and Ginger.

So much for the Herbs & Spices starting with a G.

What are your favorite appetizers & Herbs & Spices ?

Green Squall

Sounds nice and light, the way it should be. I swear, some of the appetizers I see nowadays look like small meals!

I've always like shellfish for apps, maybe some steamed dumplings if they are available. Another good one is sliced tomatoes, with fresh mozzarella and basil (not dried).

Being a huge fan of garlic, I was shocked to read recently that 60% of garlic in the US is grown in China. California simply can't compete with the prices.

WelderDan

Veteran
When I was in San Francisco, I got hooked on Olive oil and bread. Super simple, but with the right bread, olive oil and herbs, it's addictive.

Use good artisan bread. Focaccia or Olive bread. Or any crusty bread of your liking.

Use good quality Extra Virgin Olive oil. None of that cut rate crap. You can just use plain quality oil, but I like to use herbs in it. Peppercorns, garlic cloves, fresh Thyme, fresh Rosemary, fresh Basil and Parsley. Maybe some red pepper flakes, cut up Thai chili's or cayenne if you like a bit of heat. Whatever spices you like.

I put the oil and spices into a salad dressing bottle and let it sit at least overnight, 24 hours is better. Then pour some in a bowl and dip pieces of bread in it and enjoy.

It's frigging addicting.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
when cilantro starts to become coriander and is still green muddle it and add it to a bloody mary....it adds an awesome taste...yeehaw,,,now you know my bloody mary secret..the cats out of the bag now...

iTarzan

Shrimp toast

vegies dipped in balsamic vinegar

california olive oil and white vinegar salad with black olives

5qzCDJuh.jpg

No Knead Bread
So easy anyone with a pot and oven can slam it

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ll second the olive oil and rustic bread. A little drizzle of balsamic in the oil is a classic. A few instances I’ve comprised a good Italian meal as I gorged on this only to end up too full at the end. Moderation is the key but when it’s so good…well…

WelderDan

Veteran
The family goes ape over my mini stuffed Bell peppers. They are like jalapeno poppers, only I use baby Bell peppers and they are baked not deep fired.

Cut the ends off a dozen or two assorted baby Bells (red, yellow, orange, green) and remove ribs and seeds. Blanche for 2 minutes in boiling water and remove to paper towels.

Mix 1 cup Ricotta, 1/4 cup mozzarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese along with finely chopped Basil, Oregano, Chives, Garlic and Cilantro, along with some salt and pepper. Add or omit anything you want.

Use a pastry bag or cut the corner off a plastic bag and squeeze the cheesemix into the peppers. Place several peppers in each cup of a muffin pan. This allows them to sit up and not fall over and let the cheese ooze out.

Place a pinch of mozzarella on top of each pepper and bake at 375 until the mozzarella browns a little and seals the top.

It's a little work, but it's festive and my relatives go ape shit over it. If I ask about bringing an appetizer, "Peppers!" gets the shout out.

One of my favorite things to make although time consuming is Croquetas, I also love making Ropa Vieja. Good old cuban comfort food

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
basil for pesto..yeehaw...simple to make ..finding pine nuts is the only hard part at times ..I have to go to the yuppie grocery store