What's new

HELP! What Is The Problem With My Plant?

Hi Everyone!!

I'm hoping that I can get some advice for my 3rd grow. I'm guessing that it has to do w/ nutrients and the amount of watering, but apparently I'm not doing something correctly.

Some quick info: Project started on 11/28/10

I use Miracle Grow 20/20/20 in a one gallon container (following directions). Still on a 24 hours a day light cycle.

The below info is DATE/TEMP/HUMIDITY and if I watered.

12/24 80.4F 29% Watered
12/25 81.3F 29%
12/26 79.2F 28%
12/27 75.9F 30%
12/29 79.2F 28% Watered
12/31 82.2F 24% Watered
1/4 84.0F 25%
1/6 84.6F 28% Watered
1/12 82.0F 27% Watered with plain water

In regards to the yellowing/drying of parts of the leaf, should I trim that off or just leave it? It seems that there would be a lot of trimming if I did.

So as you can see, the watering is sporatic. I'm at the point of just not knowing what to do.

Any thoughtful feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've already lost one. I don't want to lose the last one!

THANK YOU!!!

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
In regards to the yellowing/drying of parts of the leaf, should I trim that off or just leave it? It seems that there would be a lot of trimming if I did.

So as you can see, the watering is sporatic. I'm at the point of just not knowing what to do.

Any thoughtful feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've already lost one. I don't want to lose the last one!

First of all, great job with the photos, nutes, description,etc. That makes diagnostics a lot easier. Two things for you, first of all there's a forum called the infirmary that's for plant problems. Posting your question there will get a LOT more responses if we don't fix it. Secondly what are you using for your soil mix?

I would suspect that most of the issue is a combination of relatively low humidity, too much nute & sporadic watering.

Thanks very much for your response!!

Sta Green
Moisture Max
Potting Mix w/ Fertilizer

Miracle Grow
Perlite

I mix in a little Perlite w/ the Potting Soil.

Thanks Again!

@b$+r@c+

EDIT: Matter of fact; cut ALL the MG and just keep your ph within a 6.4-6.7 area!!!!! (Still flush the hell out of 'em!)

Looks the MG burned them, meaning wayyy too much nutrient. Cannabis needs very little to vegetate well and many strains dont need a quarter of the reccomended dose of MG.

Flush the pots out with 3-4 times the pots volume and re-feed with a better nutrient or fertilizer! (MG grown herbs contain alot of metals for a harsh kucky flavor) Atleast cut the dose of MG by 75%, and read up on proper flowering...You want an eighth, or an eighth of a pound? The same plant could yield either depending on it's living arrangements!

Good Luck and have fun! :)

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I would put your plant in the sink and water with about the same volume of water as you have soil, but only once, then water with plain water or a very VERY mild worm/compost tea from here on out.

I would skip all the mg as well, your soil ferts may be all you need, what's the NPK and "lifespan" of the ferts that's listed on the packaging? Some osomocote based potting mixes can have impressive performance with very little else other than plain water. Miracle grow isn't a terrible fertilizer and I can understand that some places this may literally be your only option, but you may not need it at all with the type of soil you have.

One thing with your mix & fertilizer concerns me. Both are likely to be too low in magnesium. You can fix this with the addition of dolomite. Dolomitic limestone is a great amendment. Just work a teaspoon or two into the top fingernails depth of soil and it'll slowly soak in with each watering). If you can't find dolomite epsom salts will work as well.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Looks to me like you are burning it maybe too close to the light when it was very dry? I'm not sure I can't see the photo great but you might also be burning it with your nutes. Back off the amount of nutes when the plant isn't doing well.. Your temps are pretty high aswell and do you have good air movement when it's this hot? peace out Headband707

Frozenguy

Veteran
I can't tell by your picks but they look all out of whack nute wise (possibly). When did all this happen? A little bit after you planted them in the container?

It would serve your plants well to up your RH as well.

Oh MAN thank you everyone for the responses. They are all very helpful. Although I'm freaked out about flushing the plant, it sounds like I have no other option. I am a bit sketched on using Miracle Grow. Any suggestions for a new grower? I checked out some threads regarding nutes, but it's a bit overwhelming.

I've turned down the temp a bit (about 78F).

So after I flush the plant, wouldn't I have to reintroduce the nutes?

Should I trim the leaves or just leave it alone?

Since it's been going since 11/28, should I be thinking of turning her soon (12/12)?

Thanks again for all the advice!!

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Miracle grow in and of itself isn't a "bad" product, but combining most any fairly high potency fertilizer with a prefertilized soil is asking for trouble.

I would cut back seriously damaged leaves (50% or less surface area remaining) and not touch the others unless they were shading out new healthy growth.

Once you get new growth that looks healthy you should be fine to enter bloom.

What is the listed NPK for your soil and how long does it say it will "last" for?

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I would flush her in the sink w/ about 3 or 4 times the pot volume with fresh water, to start.

Oh MAN thank you everyone for the responses. They are all very helpful. Although I'm freaked out about flushing the plant, it sounds like I have no other option. I am a bit sketched on using Miracle Grow. Any suggestions for a new grower? I checked out some threads regarding nutes, but it's a bit overwhelming.

Close enough for now.

No. Wait at least 5 days and then see if the plant needs it, but only 1/2 strength then.

Leave them be. They will eventually die away after new leaves have replaced them.

For now use a spray bottle to lightly top water her for the next few days.

Since it's been going since 11/28, should I be thinking of turning her soon (12/12)?

Wait until the soil feels just moist, (nearly dry) with your finger in to the second knuckle before watering again.

If it was me? I would wait awhile and let her level out again. You have just shocked her, that usually gives em a little stunt for a few days.

If you want to feed at every watering, cut your nutes to about 1/4 of recommended amount.

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
You gotta get that plant out of that pot!!!!!

MG is garbage dude. I've used it before when I first started so I can relate, but if you want some quality smoke then do yourself a favor and make this your last MG run. Next run go coco(read bonecarver's) hand watering coco thread. Not much different than soil and way better results) IMO.

To save this plant you must get it into a larger container. The larger the better, at least if you're going to be using more MG. Every time you water you release more nutes. Something in that nute mix is not agreeing with your plant. Either it is the ratio or it is the amount, creating lockout. A larger container will dilute it so to speak, and it will give your roots room to breathe with fresh mix. If you can get your hands on some good plain soil I would recommend that instead of the MG if you decide to take my advice, but it can be saved either way.

Any time I ran into those issues when using MG I always went to a bigger container and it fixed it.

Next run do coco buddy it's very easy and you'll have way better smoke to smoke.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran

You can cut off the leaves that are in really bad shape and leave the rest alone ,Miracle Grow is fine just back off when the plant looks sick . I would say most indoor grows don't have the best conditions so you don't need to use a lot of fert . Perhaps use 3/4 of what they ask. Perhaps invest in Superthrive to help the roots now. Also Aussie Juice is good for veg. and flowering.
She looks big enough to flip. peace out Headbands707

Wingnutt

I don't find myself saying this often, but i completely agree with GeorgeWBush.

Ditch the Miracle Grow - horrible for mj. Some new soil will really help. If you want to spend a little money, products like Revive from AN will help with the recovery.

**UPDATE**

On the 14th I decided to flush the plant... Approx one buckets worth.

Now, six days later it looks SO BAD... Knockin on deaths door. And I think that it's because of the flushing.

How does one combat the fact that by flushing your plant, you are basically drowning it?

I want to reintroduce nutes, but the soil is still soaked... After six days.

ANY help on this pitiful Charlie Brown plant would be great!!

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I don't know what soil you are using but it doesn't sound like it drains worth a damn.
You need to do something to get em to drain.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
**UPDATE**

On the 14th I decided to flush the plant... Approx one buckets worth.

Now, six days later it looks SO BAD... Knockin on deaths door. And I think that it's because of the flushing.

How does one combat the fact that by flushing your plant, you are basically drowning it?

I want to reintroduce nutes, but the soil is still soaked... After six days.

ANY help on this pitiful Charlie Brown plant would be great!!

Yeah whenever your plant isn't doing well for any reason NEVER try and flush as this is really the last thing your plant could handle. A plant can only do one thing at a time . If she is sick then let it get better before you do that shit. peace out Headband707:comfort: