What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane is my friend and here is why

I made this device quite a while ago to make oil in small batches. I had some top grade shake saved up, so i decided to take the best looking leaf out of it and take my small scale tool out. Its stainless steel fittings from a smoke shops build a pipe section. add a filter and some high grade butane=whalaa!!!

shoed1

Looks very very yummy!! :yummy: I definitely with I had some form of concentrates right now, as a matter of fact I wish I had some green at all =/ maybe I'll make some of this stuff this weekend :) tell us how it smokes

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Yumm-o
Below you will find a lil info on a substance that can NOT be Purged ...even under High vac.
Or by "Triple filtering"
Mercap...is the LAST thing added to the Butane after the "Filtering"

All the "Oil Heads" out there ever wonder why you can't buy "Oil" @ a Coffee Shop?
That would be because its Toxic
and with an LD-50 of only 675ppm thats some toxic shit

PRODUCT NAME:
METHYL MERCAPTAN
CHEMICAL NAME:
Methyl Mercaptan

COMMON NAMES/SYNONYMS:

Methanethiol

TDG CLASSIFICATION:

2.3 (2.1)

WHMIS CLASSIFICATION:

A, B1, D1A, D2A, D2B

2. Composition, Information on Ingredients

INGREDIENT % VOLUME PEL-OSHA

1 TLV-ACGIH2 LD50 or LC50

Route/Species

Methyl Mercaptan

FORMULA: CH

4S

CAS: 74-93-1

RTECS #: PB4375000

100.0 10 ppm Ceiling 0.5 ppm TWA LC

50: 675 ppm

inhalation/rat

As stated in 29 CFR 1910, Subpart Z (revised July 1, 1993)

As stated in the ACGIH 1994-95 Threshold Limit Values for Chemical Substances and Physical Agents

3. Hazards Identification

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW

Irritating to the eyes, mucous membranes and respiratory system. Inhalation may result in
pulmonary paralysis, sudden collapse and death. Exposure to high concentrations may result in

acute hemolytic anemia. Extremely flammable. Poison gas.

EYE EFFECTS:

Low concentrations will generally cause irritation to the conjunctiva. Repeated exposure to low concentrations

is reported to cause conjunctivitis, photophobia, corneal bullac, tearing, pain and blurred vision.

SKIN EFFECTS:
May irritate the skin upon contact.
INGESTION EFFECTS:
Ingestion is unlikely. Methyl mercaptan will irritate the mucous membranes causing a burning feeling with
excess salivation likely. Irritation of the gastrointestinal tract may also occur.
INHALATION EFFECTS:
Exposure may cause fever, cough, shortness of breath, a feeling of tightness and burning in the chest,
pulmonary edema, respiratory failure and collapse. Headache, loss of smell, dizziness, staggering gait and
heightened emotions may occur. Memory loss, damage to the central and peripheral nervous system, tremor,
convulsions and coma may result. Individuals exposed to high concentrations may develop acute hemolytic
anemia and methemoglobinemia.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE:
Individuals with pre-existing conditions of the heart, lungs, blood and nervous system may have increased

susceptibility to the toxic effects of methyl mercaptan.

T

Tr33

lmao...I'm surprised they haven't made being alive illegal like every other single item CA dislikes, living in CA is toxic and causes cancer, the same way they did with honey oil...

reckon

lmao...I'm surprised they haven't made being alive illegal like every other single item CA dislikes, living in CA is toxic and causes cancer, the same way they did with honey oil...

wait! I live in CA!! oh shit! I'ma splode!! :microwave:

is it the zillionth time with the mercaptans already? we were just at a gabillion last week!

we just moved and I can't find the box with my stainless steel BHO tooby or I'd be sprayin some up right now

:dance013:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have seen that post like 10x now dont you think you have made your point. If you dont like oil stay out of the oil threads.

SB7

Ok, DrBud,
Please provide links showing that Mercaptans are added to canned butane.
As mercaptans are added to various gasses ( Natural gas for example) for the sole purpose of making it easy for humans to smell /detect leaks , one would think that it's presence in say an can of Colibri would be easy to smell ?
I have a very sensitive nose ( being an Asthmatic has made me incredibly sensitive to my surroundings ) and I've never detected any mercaptans in all the butane I've used. I realize that's completely unscientific , but so is the "evidence" that you've not provided.
Thiols, as a group , have an extremely low odor threshold ( which is why they are added to gasses for leak detection) so , again, sniff a little canned butane and tell me if you can detect any mercaptans.
Should I mention that Methyl Mercaptan occurs naturally in the body ? , you make it if you eat asparagus.
Farts contain mercaptans, in very small quantities ( 0.003pmm to 0.02ppms typically) and yet we can "detect" them quite easily. (Our threshold is around 0.005ppm). (Some PHD students at Cornel made a fart detector and measured all of this !)
Mercaptans are produced in the body as an internal ( and external :)) signaling compound. ( gastrotransmitter similar in function to a neurotransmitter)
Mercaptans regulate blood pressure too.. what's the point ? That at the levels we're chatting about , I think you're tilting at windmills

Show me a MSDS/Assay sheet for canned butane for lighters showing that it contains any thiols.
I 'm sure there are some cheap brands , but not even Ronson has any thiols that I can find.

Please enlighten me.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Left out the part about the boiling point being 43F. Are you a self-appointed expert/troll or do you run GC/MS analyses of BHO?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would imagine that is the reason ingestion it's unlikely, because of the low boiling point.

bterzz

Veteran
I have a quick question --

What is the typical weed:eek:il ratio when using BHO? Using resinous weed, not trim.

That looks absolutely amazing..will you share?

From 90g of buds I got back 15.5g of dark amber glass, from an extractor tube that my husband made with his milling lathe for me and 3 cans of vector butane.

vta

Veteran
I have a quick question --

What is the typical weed:eek:il ratio when using BHO? Using resinous weed, not trim.

That looks absolutely amazing..will you share?
10 -15% normally. We have pulled close to 20 a few times but it's usually around 15 for us.