What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I havent been high in ages!!

Red October

Hi Everyone,

Been struggling with some heavy resistance for quite a while and I'm a bit sick of it really. I haven't properly grown for myself for at least 6 years and our suppliers here seem to just be getting worse, not with bud quality but their stuff just doesn't seem to get me stoned good and proper.

I used to have pretty reasonable knowledge of the different seed companies but hings have changed quite a bit, alot of companies I knew where good either don't exist anymore or for the ones that survived alot of guys seem to be bitching about them.

I'm in a good position to be able to do a decent outdoor grow and a small indoor grow under a 400 watt HPS lamp but would really appreciate some suggestions for genetics.

We have quite an active seed platform here in south africa but they do only carry the main guys like dutch passion, barneys, GHS and so forth, I grew some barneys red dragon many years back and thought it was terrible and learnt my lesson to avoid these types companies.

I grew up smoking mainly sativa plants like swazi and jut, basically they used to be the main staple of many smokers here and I do prefer the more fun happy and up type high from sativas than indica. I sort of know of what I want to grow outdoors this year coming, mainly haze thai and Colombian stuff but wouldn't mind some good pointers on what to grow under my 400 watt setup.

I don't need stuff with the best smell or the highest THC content, I just want stuff makes me enjoy life and doesn't stop working after smoking it for more than a day.:kiss:

Thanks ya'll

Red October

Thanks man and yeah ACE, cannabiogen and Tropical seeds are at the top of my list for the outdoor stuff but i don't really want to run full on sativas under the 400 watt lamp. I had pretty good results with C99 and a couple of bags of the old spice of life seeds something mix?? can't remember the exact name but I got so many amazing plants out of there and crossed it with the c99 and some seeds I got from a dealer here that produced stuff that always got you high no matter what it what crossed with. had some very heavy burnout and you'd definitely feel it the next morning but it always got you high even after months of smoking it.

I really miss smoking stuff like that...they really where fun times. now I'm smoking 9 different strains at some points and they just don't do the job.

El Timbo

How many plants are you planning for your indoor grow? And are you leaning more towards female or regular seeds?

and a couple of bags of the old spice of life seeds something mix?? .

Adventure mix - they were great. If it was the sweet tooth mix you might like Grapefruit x Blueberry from Chimera

Cvh

Supermod
I also really like Durban Poison and Power Plant.

They grow like an Indica but have a Sativa high. Both great indoor plants.

The PP was in my experience a bit more Sativa leaning in it's effects.

Red October

How many plants are you planning for your indoor grow? And are you leaning more towards female or regular seeds?

Adventure mix - they were great. If it was the sweet tooth mix you might like Grapefruit x Blueberry from Chimera

thats the name, they really where nice. I never used any males from them but the females made really good partners for the C99 and bag seed strain I had going

for the outdoor grow I want to keep them below 7 feet high so will probably start a bit later in the season and can probably put in around 10 or 12 plants in the area I have available

for the indoor grow I want to keep it really simple as it'll produce more than enough for me alone, even on a really bad grow I should get at least 150-200g dry weight under the 400 watt lamp. To maximize variety i have gone for 1 1/2 gallon pots and can put in 12 pots into the the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 ft area for the grow box. the 400 watt lamp should hopefully just produce enough light for that area size.

I actually haven't ever worked with Fem seeds but I see many good looking varieties only come in S1? varieties, so in all likelihood I will be dealing with Fem seeds but I am more used to regular seeds.

My back garden in very well blocked off visually and in summer I have one section that gets enough good light to grow outdoor crops, so in summer I plan on vegging plants outdoors in pots and transferring them into the grow box for flowering, which will cut down summer growing time alot but in winter as I don't want to build an extra veg box I'll just do the vegging and flowering in the same box, but again I am going to have waaaaayyyy to much weed for just myself with this system even growing haze varieties.

I plan on taking clones from the outdoor plants as those genetics seem the most interesting to me, the indoor plants I don't really care too much about but want something nice, fun and worthwhile growing and if I find something amazing hopefully I can reveg it but it's quite a bit of effort keeping a clone not meant as a mother over the long term and really want to explore the more heavy sativa plants.

Red October

I also really like Durban Poison and Power Plant.

They grow like an Indica but have a Sativa high. Both great indoor plants.

The PP was in my experience a bit more Sativa leaning in it's effects.

Thank Cvh, power plant has always been on my radar but luckily living here in SA, one of the benefits we used to get was good Durban poison strains, not for many years though, as far as I can tell skunk and other hybrids have been mixed into almost all indigenous commercially grown strains here and this wasn't that bad 10-15 years ago when they where still reasonably fresh crosses and actually produced some really interesting varieties, but now at this point without selective breeding they seem to have just become a mush of varieties but non strong as what they used to be.

Red October

there seems to be alot of new strains out there that either people rave about or hate. Green crack, headband and dutch passion stuff pop up all the time when googling for info but there's alot of people bitching about em too.

Maybe I should just stick to the old stuff that I know like cindy from brothers grimm and a pack of something from Mr Nice? I dunno, it seems like there is even more of the over hyped strains out there now than back then, which wasn't all that long ago. everyone just seems to care about the flavour and terp profile more than if it actually gets you proper high

Red October

bangi haze actually looks good too and everyone seems to like it so hopefully that'll do alright under a 400 watt lamp

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPS is the worst light for sativas. White LED or metal halide if you can do it, higher the Kelvin rating the better. Keep it as close to the plants as you can, will help stop the stretch somewhat.

On the stretchy sativas indoors, I grow them all the time. I keep all of them under 20 or so inches by supercropping them daily if needed. The will grow sideways somewhat and you can bend them at different points on the main stem.

Red October

HPS is the worst light for sativas. White LED or metal halide if you can do it, higher the Kelvin rating the better. Keep it as close to the plants as you can, will help stop the stretch somewhat.

On the stretchy sativas indoors, I grow them all the time. I keep all of them under 20 or so inches by supercropping them daily if needed. The will grow sideways somewhat and you can bend them at different points on the main stem.

Yeah I hear ya, that's really why I didn't want to do sativas under the 400 watt lamp, I could convert the ballast to MH which will help a bit but ideally I want some good hybrids to grow but everything is either a clone only or not easily available to me that seems good.

Like green crack, alot of people are raving about it but when you start reading in the forums, the guys aren't all that impressed except for the clone version.

RED 1

bangi haze actually looks good too and everyone seems to like it so hopefully that'll do alright under a 400 watt lamp

Bangi Haze excellent choice,have a seedling outdoors, excellent results indoors as well
Bubba Kush X Nepalese Jam from Ace Seeds,has that sativa high,very easy to grow as well, fantastic smoke

Red October

Bangi Haze excellent choice,have a seedling outdoors, excellent results indoors as well
Bubba Kush X Nepalese Jam from Ace Seeds,has that sativa high,very easy to grow as well, fantastic smoke

Bangi seems solid, everyone raves about it and is definetly on my buy list. thanks Red I would have overlooked the Bubba, will go do some reading up on it.

Wild Seed

I'd agree that some commercial polyhybrids scored these days aren't much more than a headache with bag appeal and branding. Hopefully you can find a better high again at home.

Ready to run Bangi Haze (ACE) with Fast n Glorious and 8 miles high (Mandala). I'd think any of these would be good choices for you, indoor or out, and all have some African sativa ancestry with indoor adaptability, assuming you're seeking a similar sort of high to before. Tropical would be worth a look too for this. In my experience Mandala strains generally yield well with great highs and easy growth, and ACE offer a wider range of flavors and potency too. Their Congo has a good uplifting effect and short size. The Kali China crosses are very good all round too for indoors. Tikal and Violetta were nice overall but mild.

There's also good C99, WW and Diesel F2s around if you can order from seedbanks online. There's Bubba in seed form, though lots of classic clone-onlys like trainwreck are still everywhere and nowhere.

Many swear to avoid Sensi, DP, GHS, Barneys, etc these days, and for the price they charge to gamble I'd probably agree, though that's not to say you can't find winners with them. Had 2 reg packs from Sensi produce very mixed results, but in the end no real keepers, the same with DPs Durban Poison which flowered fast and smelled great, but most were weak phenos (indoors), so I'd not bank too much space on those either.

No experience with Sanie or Mr Nice but both have lots of fans, and Paradise seeds rarely gets a bad review.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
for the outdoor grow I want to keep them below 7 feet high so will probably start a bit later in the season and can probably put in around 10 or 12 plants in the area I have available

don't wait til later in the season..

Sativas will tend to grow tall, but plant 'em as early as you can and just top 'em if they get too tall for you.

the side branches will grow out bigger and thicker, turning your sativa into more of a bowling ball shape instead of a Christmas tree..

Plant as early as you want and just keep pruning 'em for height control...
and you'll end up with plenty to harvest...

Red October

don't wait til later in the season..

Sativas will tend to grow tall, but plant 'em as early as you can and just top 'em if they get too tall for you.

the side branches will grow out bigger and thicker, turning your sativa into more of a bowling ball shape instead of a Christmas tree..

Plant as early as you want and just keep pruning 'em for height control...
and you'll end up with plenty to harvest...

Thanks bud green, yeah the area I'm planning on using is about 5 meters long, I did consider topping and pruning but I thought with starting later in the season I could squeeze in more plants into the same area.

I think I might be biting off more than I can chew especially because I want to keep clones of all the outdoor stuff and wanted to start them all at once but I can see I'll be making life difficult for myself so maybe fewer plants to start is more rational.

Red October

I'd agree that some commercial polyhybrids scored these days aren't much more than a headache with bag appeal and branding. Hopefully you can find a better high again at home.

Ready to run Bangi Haze (ACE) with Fast n Glorious and 8 miles high (Mandala). I'd think any of these would be good choices for you, indoor or out, and all have some African sativa ancestry with indoor adaptability, assuming you're seeking a similar sort of high to before. Tropical would be worth a look too for this. In my experience Mandala strains generally yield well with great highs and easy growth, and ACE offer a wider range of flavors and potency too. Their Congo has a good uplifting effect and short size. The Kali China crosses are very good all round too for indoors. Tikal and Violetta were nice overall but mild.

There's also good C99, WW and Diesel F2s around if you can order from seedbanks online. There's Bubba in seed form, though lots of classic clone-onlys like trainwreck are still everywhere and nowhere.

Many swear to avoid Sensi, DP, GHS, Barneys, etc these days, and for the price they charge to gamble I'd probably agree, though that's not to say you can't find winners with them. Had 2 reg packs from Sensi produce very mixed results, but in the end no real keepers, the same with DPs Durban Poison which flowered fast and smelled great, but most were weak phenos (indoors), so I'd not bank too much space on those either.

No experience with Sanie or Mr Nice but both have lots of fans, and Paradise seeds rarely gets a bad review.
Thanks wild seed, The Thai chi is something I am considering from Ace, maybe thats something I can do under the 400 watt as it's not full on sativa.

Tropical seeds has king congo and that seems really nice for outdoors

Latest posts

Latest posts