What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin extraction vs. Distillation

tl;dr How does Rosin compare to distillation of any extract? Isn't the process of heat-pressing also separating molecules based on temperature?

So, I've been trying to figure out the best way to make my own cannabinoid-infused liquids to use in my Linx Hermes 3.

When I bought it I used it with some decarbed absolute and it was just lovely. No smell, super potent, battery efficient, portable... The only downside is it clogged before I could finish the 0.5ml tank.

My thoughts are: even though I winterized and all, there were still molecules in there that were extracted by my solvent (because they were sufficiently soluble in it), but were not vaporized inside the Hermes (because their boiling points were higher than the temp reached by the vape).

With distillate this wouldn't happen because distillation selectively isolates molecules with boiling points below a certain threshold, causing your liquid to be formed by molecules with such low boiling points, which, when vaporized, will fully evaporate and not leave any residue, thus not clogging your device, and thus allowing you to use it forever and ever.

But what about rosin? It seems to me like it is extracting things also based on temperature right? Of course it's not distillation, the things that evaporate you loose, but, isn't it still creating an end product which contains more molecules in the lower part of the boiling point spectrum?

I think I'm going to try pressing some dry sift and winterizing the rosin to use it in my Hermes. Any ideas/opinions? Will it work like distillate? Will it be the same as my decarbed absolute? Will it be half way?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Pretty much the whole idea of rosin is that it is solvent less and will not work in any cart type pen. Distillate uses alcohol or other chemical to make it. Winterizing rosin, don’t you have to add a solvent to winterize? IT kinda defeats the purpose of having a solvent less material, I just use a concentrate pen that accepts small chunks of rosin and have to load it up when it needs it...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Winterizing is the process of removing the heavier compounds by dissolving the rosin in frozen alky, and filtering out the precipated waxes. It takes a vacuum buchner set-up, and is a hassle. The alky thins the oil, and can be used as a vape thinner. If you don't mind the taste. Ringodoggie is doing this I believe.

IMO that is a lot of trouble and effort. Vaping off the goodies is a lot easier and you still have the ABV for making edibles. Much cleaner, no messy oils to deal with.

Maple_Flail

rosin > distillate. Terpenes... they make a differnce.

I'll preface this with, I'm a Flower guy, through and thought. So some grains of salt/sand may likely be needed.

There is a reason there is a Cart market.. It is alot of work, and messing around.
Personally I think that pen is a little underpowered to manage concentrates without thinning of some kind.

a variatiy of ways, some more effective other, none of which are quick..

I wonder if segregated distillation is a thing yet.. start with the room temp volitiile terps and finish where most pens top out at for tempurature.. but I'm sure that is a biochemistry nightmare.

JRace

I have a Lynx Hermes 3.

Used it with Distallate, Rosin (not winterized), QWET and QWISO.

Everything I used in that device clogged and or leaked.