What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Status of the Michigan Market

just picked up 2 acres against state land (110acres) with a 12ft watertable and private property on both sides. Ya up north is greener than most people know.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
...or caregivers are going to disappear...

Ah! There it is, the writing on the wall.

Caregivers can and should attain compensation for medicine. The law was not intended for a caregiver to earn a living. Take any business model you can think of for a caregiver to earn a yearly salary, and you will find illegal activities that must be accomplished for those models to work. Unless you have a patients with unlimited budgets. This is the bases of argument our state uses to push caregivers out, and some caregivers just keep giving them ammo.

Lots of presumptions therein. You are not in a position to say whether one’s model provides a living while remaining compliant. You simply cannot. Too many variables that remain unknown to you. Unlimited budgets? No. But plenty of folks have the means to pay a higher price for a higher quality (just like the beer analogy). Different demographics, different end-consumer bases.

Zero. I could get into a very lengthy discussion about that comment.

I should’ve been clearer with my phrasing. I thought it naturally followed, but perhaps not obvious to all. I meant to say that you seem to support a big business cannabis model. Complete with over-the-top regulations.

When your community comes together and starts grouping caregivers into the same group as dispensary owners(drug dealers in their minds). That is when it creates a problem for caregivers.

Back to demographics: there’s no community outrage where I’m at. (All politics are local). But with that said, I can appreciate that this could be the case elsewhere, and that such consternation could find its way here (although very unlikely); and that’s why I am not a crusader of any sorts — interwebs or in the streets. I keep my head down. I work diligently to insulate myself. Security remains top-priority — even in compliance.

A fundamental difference being that you seem to place a lot of trust in the government. Me? I’m a bit more of a cynic. I do not view their intentions as much more than self-serving. It’s nothing short of a money/power grab. In my opinion, it's not about the health or welfare of the people.

They will do what they will do. I will keep on doing what I do. With or without the State’s blessing.

As stated above, my cynicism precludes me from trusting a big business model. (Pretty sure I want no part of or in it). But this is where it’s heading. On the flip side, this could be a positive. Dispensary prices will climb higher due to the taxing and regulations. Thereby driving up the price in the black market. And for many there will be a return to that model.

To simplify: I think (hope I’m mistaken) that caregivers will be done away with. Big business will rule and, I imagine, you will come to rue the day you thought regulations were a positive thing. Or that your government ought to be trusted.

But your optimism is commendable.

Everyone have a great weekend!

TheMan13

Veteran
125 zip, you MUST talking about the ghetto reggies floating around. Your a f n idiot to donate zips of quality meds for that rate. No wonder why the mi market is shit and every potential patient I speak to is all about what they get for free every month

Sadly it's not ghetto reggies flooding the market, but outdoor & greenhouse buds. I've seen decent 125$ zips at farmers markets since November and they're still available today.

attachment.php

I cannot image what a zip of ghetto reggies are going for these days, but given the current market I'd guess more like 70$.

Attachments

• Washington Ave Market.jpg
    Washington Ave Market.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
In regard to reggies, The Detroit Market was always in the past more desirous of that. THey'd buy it.

Detroit is different than anything I saw in CA> However, suburban growers are dumping their buds downtown, methinks.

The above is the flooding of the market from GH and outo buds from out west.

I got an oz of hard as rocks Greenhouse grown "Purple Mr Nice" last week. The provider thought it was indo too.

I've talked to budtenders and owners who fought with me that it was Michigan Indoor. But, sometimes, it wasn;t. I Can tell.

NO, I don;t trust or want big biz.. It seems a foregone conclusion though. I will also continue to do what I do.

Just having trouble with the present market in SE to Mid Mitten.

Maybe this new Shantibaba NL5 x Haze cut I found in a pack of seeds will dig me out of this morass. Pretty exciting into week 8 now. Smelling exotic.

growingcrazy

just picked up 2 acres against state land (110acres) with a 12ft watertable and private property on both sides. Ya up north is greener than most people know.

Nice, congrats bud! We have some stellar micro-climates for growing here, just have to find property in one.

To simplify: I think (hope I’m mistaken) that caregivers will be done away with. Big business will rule and, I imagine, you will come to rue the day you thought regulations were a positive thing. Or that your government ought to be trusted.

But your optimism is commendable.

Everyone have a great weekend!

The only difference between my view and yours is that I don't just want to watch the regulations be made and push us out. We know they are coming, get involved and make the regulations work with our cause.

I need to get to one of these farmers markets... If anyone knows who was pushing ghost train haze greenhouse grown up this way, pm me.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
In regard to reggies, The Detroit Market was always in the past more desirous of that. THey'd buy it.

I agree. This speaks to the buying power (or lack thereof) of the consumer base to be found in and around the city proper.

stasis

Veteran
Pretty sure the Guy I was negotiating for a cabin up N FLAKED. As of this AM. More BS and lies. That makes 2 and one half years of attempts to get up N. Including all the promises made and broken by sellers and renters.

I could not be more fed up with the scene here. Smacks of the desperation seen in Mendocino Coastal CA before I left for the same reasons after a decade of growing for dispos in San Fran and Mendo County.

Now, thinking fuck it - I should have moved to HOLLAND a decade ago, when I had the opportunity. Stuck in this shit Country.

Perhaps, FULL Black Market in an illegal state....? In My opinion, Michigan may as well be illegal. Only ALan Witt seems to have managed to get a jail sentence (the latest corruption out of Gaylord), although harassment takes many forms..! But We have no system, and what we do have will be replaced by local "Philip Morris" types.

I have people elsewhere, won;t say where. 2-3 runs, Quick payout, leave the country for good. ENOUGH. Surf and get my Dick sucked by NON-American Women (whew, that's a relief) a few times a week.

On another note, The standards were lower in the past in DTW. I would guess the flood of 'desperate growers' and OD Cali Bud, are filling that gap with paclo'd just-get-by buds. But, not regs. For some reason - dispos and even coffeeshops in The Netherlands seem to have a certain percentage of 'filler' in the display case always. Same was in NorCal years ago but the quality has improved there, with all the desperate growers.

The quality at the MT Morris FM is not that great. I haven;t been to the GCCC> But at the aforementioned facility, 1 out of 20 varieties are good. But, it is a fun scene, regardless.

I could stay in this pretty dang decent house for a while, but the people around here are not the greatest. A few short miles from a crime-center of the state and country - folks are a bit more fearful than I like, and they drive like a-hole maniacs, even soccer Moms. Not the worst area though, at least they have good gun ranges. But, the stars are not seen due to light pollution, and the watershed/rivers are a cesspool horribly with PCB;s and Dioxins, can;t go in the water, even in a kayak.

EDIT: the suspense continues. Received word that the deal is still on, waiting for the sale to clear, and then I am 'the only one I'm talking with" about the house - pole barn and basement on 2 acres that butt on 80 acres private hike-able land (I did not know about the 80 acre piece next door unitl now) . Near a lake in the Man Nat'l Forest. OK< I will chill, watch soccer this wknd, practice with, clean and fondle my Walther "Q" and "S" (haha) and see what happens, while trimming a 3 lighter (8 plants) of Triple Diesel.

Peace. Think good thoughts for You and Me..!!

stasis

Veteran
No matter where ya end up, it's all about who your neighbors are. And how close they are - and how close they watch.

stasis

Veteran
Oh, the 10 -12 "Douchebags" that will end up growing for us are pretty horrible. So far. Most are not cannabis consumers, but suits looking for $$$$$, a la ILLINOIS>

Believe Me, without testing it will be sprayed with Eagle 20 etc up to day of harvest. haha.

As much as testing is a PITA, it will sure hurt some of the warehouse Guys.

I have no idea what will happen, but the authorities would LOVE to still have their own "Market" to be able to continue to be able to bust and confiscate.

The coming regime guarantees this right. As we will all be criminals the moment the Schedule is changed, if Snydely Whiplash gets his way.

stasis

Veteran
These cats handle 60% of the New Jersey market atm

[YOUTUBEIF]3XYhZC5tGms[/YOUTUBEIF]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XYhZC5tGms

Not sure I'd like Michigan to look like that.

To be honest, they were very knowledgeable. Their techniques were old-skool and proven. I was actually impressed. Good chance they pulled talent from CO or Some other state. But, there are smart people everywhere who do the the homework, and have lotsa runs under their belt.

What is not impressive is that Monopolies will be the norm. And that home growership has either been proposed to be outlawed.....or limiting to allow only 2 or 4 plants for us to grow at home.

Recognizable and consistent brands are the goal of the govt and the suits. Not necessarily a boutique market.

EDIT: 4 Relentless seeds - cookies forum cut, the white GG4 and fire og mixes 10 packs germinated in paper towel a short 2 days ago have popped healthy tails. and so are the other ones like BOG SSK and Mosca BESO (Love Potion #2 CC winner and chosen - supposedly paid Reeferman 10K for the cut - terpene for GW's Sativex) All doing well. Made my day. I'll pot em tomorrow in Pro Mix HPCC and Mykos.

We can kick the ass of this shit market with great genetics if we want to. We know what's good. We can produce it - so it comes down to EDUCATING the people. And showing them how real quality is worth upping the $. Unfortunately, it also MAY mean finding people willing to and able to afford it. I hate to sell out, but this is a time when marketing may require a dismissal of a certain amount of pride.

Mature special plants like a Triple Diesel or NL5 x Haze can cost a person who does things right, almost a whole run a year compared to quick-to-harvest growers. Or those that misname knock off hybrids or bagseed as the real thing.
And dilute the whole thing, while driving prices down with inferior hybrids that carry the same names as the sometimes clone-only strains.

You guys that want to band together have piqued my interest. In CA, I'd never consider that but with My peeps, cool respectful but tough Michiganders I would. We could watch our backs, Amigos. Maybe try to establish a reasonable price point structure for Hi-Q flowers at least in a certain area, say S of TC, and maybe including TC..? Wouldn't be the first posse in N MI haha.

Peace.

Some cool clones comin up Looks like 7 varieties, with a few gems still left. And Bogglegum coming.

LAST GASP OF WINTER is a challenge for all of us..! Looking good for improvement next week.

TheMan13

Veteran
Veddy Nice Veddy Nice... Looks like it will kick down a nice yield of Sweet Flowerage. What;s it smell like..?

That's a tough one, maybe a sweet pine and skunk mix. What I do know is that it stinks more than anything else in there (GG4, Triangle Kush and E$kob@r's Chucky's Bride) ;-)~

I've had Chrome Diesel flowers in the past and she's hard to nail down. My first experience smoking it reminded me of a really nice pheno of TGA's Pandora's Box (Jack the Ripper x Space Queen) a friend use to run years ago oddly enough. Although we know Aerick77, Nevil and Vic High (BCGA/Space Queen/Super Soil) were close back in the day (genetic conspiracy theory)?

hamstring

Veteran
Oh, the 10 -12 "Douchebags" that will end up growing for us are pretty horrible.
So far. Most are not cannabis consumers, but suits looking for $$$$$, a la ILLINOIS>

Believe Me, without testing it will be sprayed with Eagle 20 etc up to day of harvest. haha.

As much as testing is a PITA, it will sure hurt some of the warehouse Guys.

I have no idea what will happen, but the authorities would LOVE to still have their own "Market" to be able to continue to be able to bust and confiscate.

The coming regime guarantees this right. As we will all be criminals the moment the Schedule is changed, if Snydely Whiplash gets his way.

Totally agree but those of us that live in the Land of Lincoln new the Madigan mob bosses would do this all along.

I hope you guys can keep the same thing from happening because the deck is stacked against us here in IL.:tiphat:

stasis

Veteran
MI Legalize is doing what it can to preserve the shitstem.

If the Schedule changes in July as has been reported to be possible, I expect huge changes. Not good for the home grower, unless MI Legalize gets legalization first.

It's very confusing.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Vote NO on legalizing cannabis

Vote NO on legalizing cannabis

I know your thinkin' Vote NO on legalizing cannabis WTF???
BUT
Read carefully and you may see things just a little differently!

If cannabis is legal you will not be able to provide yourself with medicine.
Source https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287317

Legalization where people still cant grow on their own & can still go to jail. that means fake/pseudo 'legaliztion'.
Good reasons below to get you to think about voting NO before it is too late!
These are all informative links below

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=291498
Why was cannabis made illegal?...

Building the Walmart of Weed. featuring GrowOp Tech...... out of Biz or under a new name..LOL

The same people that sent you to prison for pot, will now sell pot to you!....https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=291573

You will be force to pay top dollar for whatever the state approved grower wants to grow and all the competition is gone so he will not have to provide a quality product if he so chooses.

It has already started!!

Seed Vault Takeover....https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=289756

In Washington, Nevada,Massachusetts, and Colorado and many others!

Illinois is horrible!
I want a state that only I can supply cannabis there too!

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/ca...getinfo&e=1158

Stay aware!!
Or suffer the consequence.
shag

Trich_Tyson

I think the probability is very low that you'll be able to do this. I've seen what happened in California over the last 10 years first hand. Prices plummeted locally, the black market prices dropped as well, more producers entered the market, and those who stayed around went bigger and bigger. The less people/farms the government has to deal with the easier it is for them to control. So it makes sense to let a handful of people get licenses and continue to pursue charges against everyone else.

I have to agree with an earlier poster who said that 90% of people don't care about the quality. It's been my experience that only a small percentage of end consumers care what it is that they're smoking. Price is the number one factor with a close second being name recognition. They don't care about some crazy Sour Queen x Sour Dubb cross or whatever it might be. They prefer those varieties whose names they recognize(GDP, Blue Dream, OGK, etc...) It might seem crazy to us, but that's how they think.

We've tried farmers markets, setting up our own collectives, creating our own varieties, growing larger amounts, and pretty much everything else we can think of. It's more and more work, for less and less pay. I've seen a transition to people looking for work with some of these bigger companies, or leaving the state. At one point it was a skill set that afforded you the ability to live a certain life style. The market which made that lifestyle possible is disappearing, and we'll all have to reintegrate into society. There will always be those who refuse to change, but most will eventually have to.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that corporations are taking over and will drive the price into the ground. Now what I'm looking for is a place that doesn't limit me to just a handful of plants, but allows me to grow a nice amount as long as I'm not vending it. We'll see if that ever happens. I want to be able to pop 100 seeds and keep 40-50 moms, without worrying about going to jail. In the meanwhile I'm exploring opportunities to work with some of these larger corporations, but in a way that suits me. I'd like to do in house breeding for a larger vertically integrated corporation.

If you figure out how to do it let me know. :)

currently reading thru this thread. some super insightful information in just a few pages. From an outsider speculating on the effects of legalization... this is very enlightening

had to repost this. This is what i worry about.. for talented folks making a living off their skills.

edit: i don't live in MI.. but I couldn't stop reading...

stasis

Veteran
Not thinking on voting NO on MI Legalize, by any means..! Wrong assumption.

Thing is, whatever MI Legalize is able to do would be negated by a Schedule change, most likely. And Snyder is ready to go in that eventuality. ALthough he may be in such Damage Control due to FLINT that nothing will happen immediately.

Anything but this present MMJ shitstem. That is what I want. A shifting playing field helps no one. Been thru that in CA and MI.

I'll breed other businesses using my other skills and cannabis in that case -

There's always the Black Market too..!

Latest posts

Latest posts