What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs!

Dis

So I was looking at my plant yesterday and I noticed that it had some tiny white spots on the leaves, so I thought based on what I read, might be spider mites. I inspected the leaves and didn't find much of anything, albeit I am not experieinced at what to look for.

I checked another plant, down below the first plant, and noticed it had 2 reddish brown bugs that looked rather round, and perhaps spidery on a leave. So I promptly executed them, and moved on. I didn't find any others.

I sprayed a 16 oz water, .125 oz Neem, .25 oz Dr. B's SalSuds, 5 drops clove oil, and 5 drops rosemary oil last night at lights out. Plants looked good this morning. I didn't notice any bugs or changes. So I watered and went about my day. I checked them 2 hours ago and I had what, again I do not know I am only guessing based on little to no information, 3 different little white lengthy guys, longer than the reddish brown round perhaps spider looking guys. And yes in all instances I witnessed them move, killed them, and looked at them on my finger, however they are tiny and I do not have glass to look at them yet. I also noticed the soil teeming with little red brown roundish perhaps spider looking bugs... like crawling all over the perlite, which is on there just as a top dressing. Soil based grow, with local indoor castings. So I sprayed my top dressing with that same solution, and they immediately went underground or died, I can't tell, they are tiny. They stopped moving, I can tell you that much. So I went looking for what to do about this problem beyond what I have done, and I come across this article talking about Compost Mites.... duh duh duuuh! I have seen much life in these castings so I no doubt assume that's likely, but I also do not have a sterile grow environment, and I have a dog and 200 sq ft of garden just outside the door, so maybe it came in. I do know that there were springtails (not the white things I saw on the leaves obviously), baby wigglers, I do not recall seeing the reddish brown guys, but I can't be certain.

So now what?

Microscope is not an option this week.

Should I just keep up with the neem clove rosemary? Do I really need to look at Spinosad at this point? Funds are tight til Tuesday! Or just hope that the one treatment will take care of the leaf issues, and let the soil issue run its course?

I took a picture with my phone, but it wasn't magnified enough and clear enough to be any use. When I say crawling all over the perlite, I mean as many as 50+ on the surface of a 3.5 gallon pot.

Dis

I did water with rehydrated kelp water this morning, and it was the first time the plants received that as a soil drench.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Sounds like H. Miles, AKA Strateo S. Mites. They are soil dwelling mites that eat fungus gnat larva. Most likely came from the castings.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Without a microscope you can't tell for sure and could be working in the wrong direction. Are they beneficial or not, only the microscope would tell you. So get one, asap.

Dis

Thanks guys, after reading a bit more of the paticulars I am a little less panic stricken, I will keep an eye on it and move the microscope to the top of the "to buy" list. In a holding pattern for now.

Dis

Just performed morning inspection, no movement on the leaves. I found a cluster of little stationary black dots (4-5) right at a node, not sure if it was eggs or dirt but I removed it. There are still bugs on the perlite, I watched them for a while they were just walking around, one or two would walk up the stem, look around, and head back down, never passing the 2nd node up from the soil (original coetyldons (sp) and most bottom node removed). I also noticed a couple of plants have a couple of droopy tips, assuming from either too much water or the interaction between either the kelp water or the oils and soap. I suspect it will resolve itself in the near future. In the pic you can find the mites, and see the one who was exploring the stem.

picture.php

picture.php

Dis

Just performed morning inspection, no movement on the leaves. I found a cluster of little stationary black dots (4-5) right at a node, not sure if it was eggs or dirt but I removed it. There are still bugs on the perlite, I watched them for a while they were just walking around, one or two would walk up the stem, look around, and head back down, never passing the 2nd node up from the soil (original coetyldons (sp) and most bottom node removed). I also noticed a couple of plants have a couple of droopy tips, assuming from either too much water or the interaction between either the kelp water or the oils and soap. I suspect it will resolve itself in the near future. In the pic you can find the mites, and see the one who was exploring the stem.

picture.php

picture.php

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Is yours full of mule deer too?

NOPE...got 2 of the biggest magic chef freezers from home depot packed with ribs...chicken..ribeye bacon and costco food!

but i just watered and i saw to fungas knats come outta the soil one one of my lemon ogs...

its Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis...time. i.e. mosquito dunks

Latest posts

Latest posts