What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The earliest you've topped/FIM'ed from seed?

I usually top these sativas I run outdoors at the 4th node. I simply remove the 4th node of growth before the leaves are even fully formed, which leaves me with the 3rd node and a tiny protrusion above it..

I've heard of people doing it earlier. Does anyone regularly FIM or top at the 2nd or 3rd node? Does anyone just remove the very newest growth totally instead of fimming?

Curious to hear anything from you guys. Many people say 4th node minimal, some 5th.. Then there are rumors of people who top after the 2nd node but I never any details or see photos.

Keep in mind - from seed, not clone.

:biggrin:I topped it while the seed was still on it .......2nd set true leaf set

2nd true leaf set meaning the set after the first single serrated leaves? Or are you counting the first, single-bladed serrated leaves?

Anyway, how did that work out for you? Was growth seriously stunted, did they take long to recover?

R

Rubber Chicken

You can top them just above the first node, they recover fine.

R

Rubber Chicken

Yeah, it will just make 2 main stems instead of 1.

It will thicken like normal.

Yeah, it will just make 2 main stems instead of 1.

It will thicken like normal.

So if your plants are in good shape there's no reason at all to wait until the 4th or even 5th node to top. If you can craft a shorter, bushier plant by getting started as early as possible, do it. That's how I see it.

I'll be giving that a run soon, Rubber Chicken. Thanks.

R

Rubber Chicken

Yeah, i see that most people recommend topping after the 3rd or 4th node or higher but i'm not sure why, i think it's just to not stress a little seedling but i doesn't really seem to slow it down to me.......

Hey CM. I'm far from being a seasoned pro, but here's some advice that was given to me:

The reason you let the plant grow out 5-6 nodes "before" topping is to allow the root mass to enlarge. Topping too early stunts root growth since you're taking away many "solar panels" (leaves) at once. Also... the lowest branches get some length going before the topping. This allows for the auxins to reorient easier.

There is ONE phenomenal thread by Uncle Ben on topping for 2 or 4 tops. It's on a competing forum. It should be easy to find if you do a google search. I don't think I should post the link here. Go right to the end of that thread and work backwards.

I hope this helps ya!

LH

Last edited:
Hey CM. I'm far from being a seasoned pro, but here's some advice that was given to me:

The reason you let the plant grow out 5-6 nodes "before" topping is to allow the root mass to enlarge. Topping too early stunts root growth since you're taking away many "solar panels" (leaves) at once. Also... the lowest branches get some length going before the topping. This allows for the auxins to reorient easier.

There is ONE phenomenal thread by Uncle Ben on topping for 2 or 4 tops. It's on a competing forum. It should be easy to find if you do a google search. I don't think I should post the link here. Go right to the end of that thread and work backwards.

I hope this helps ya!

LH

Thanks for the input, LH. I found that thread, good stuff. That was the exact type of info I was after.

R

Rubber Chicken

Makes sense i guess.

I would like to see a side by side (i might try myself) of letting grow for 5 or 6 nodes and then topping compared to topping after the first or second node.

No worries man. I want to add the following for clarity though...

After letting the plant grow out 5-6 nodes... then cut ABOVE the 2nd node to get 4 tops.

If you read my first post you might think I meant to cut above node 5-6.

LH

Last edited: