What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2 Dosing for closet grow

microbrewer9

I recently tried for the first time a disposable bagged organic product which emits CO2 and is sold as a closet size bag. It has expired(expiration is 6 months from purchase) and I am now using a longer closet. I want to use 2 of them this time, but wasnt sure if I would hurt my AF plants using 2 bags or would get better results. Can I give them too much CO2, well thats a dumb question, what Im really asking is, are the AF plants fairly resilient to overdose of CO2, or did I luckily get a great CO2 dosage the first time in the smaller closet? If it is likely I will hurt them getting too ambitous with these CO2 bags, Ill stick to one, but if a second bag doesnt run the risk of hurting their growth, Im going for it. All input welcomed, thanks in advance!

microbrewer9

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/co2-bags.html

Thats what I could come up with, it's the same exact bag that I used, and I was really pleased with the results! I realize that they say it can satisfy 4-6 plants, but I dont want to go by that and put 3 in and make them sick or anything, just seeking the opinion of someone more knowledgable than myself. Thanks

Last edited:

scifiedro

just breww if im not wrong the making of wine will produce enough co2 and you get twice the fun out of your closet/cabint {humbled beginnings, correct me if im wrong}

AlexTrebek

I'll take C02 geny's for 1200!
Home-made CO2 genny's are dirt cheap and will last ~3 months and over until you need to tep them off with any fermentation device. If you want to stick with Exhale, 2 bags should be fine for your plants.

Bunz

For $25 I can fill a 50 lb CO2 tank. I think you're better off saving up and buying a controller, regulator and bottles. Bigger investment initially, however you'll have much better control over your co2 levels.

Bunz :D

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
I agree with bunz. A proper co2 setup is what you want if you really want to see any big gains with co2 enrichment. Of course that means you have to have all your ducks in a row...temps, humidity, watering and nutes.

these are pics of buds grown at 1500ppm of co2. I now use a ppm of 1200ppm max and cut the co2 off the last couple of weeks because in my experience it seems to take the plants a bit longer to finish. Is it worth it...? To me it is.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just breww if im not wrong the making of wine will produce enough co2 and you get twice the fun out of your closet/cabint

Works for me , the two hobbies mesh nicely.

A gallon demijohn , air lock and tubeing with a home wine kit will produce as much CO2 as the bag and cost less , the wine should be drinkable at least , high quality with experience and an interesting hobby in itself , especially if you build a still.

Sat on top of the veg box useing the riseing heat from the lights , tubes feed the gas down into the plants.

There is a difference from the extra co2 but not as much as hoped , plants are subjectively a little greener and more compact and generally healthier looking , could be makeing up for restricted ventilation.

Each gallon will generate less than a pound of co2 over a 6 - 8 week period , doubt the bag will do much better and these levels are not going to have a huge effect , anything evolved in the dark is effectively wasted.

One thing i have notived is that nearly all plants from seed are showing sex reliably in late veg , females are mostly obvious much earlier than before , this is probably due to the high level of ethylene from the yeast , has been of tremendous value to me in trying to run large numbers , ratio still 50/50 and no more hermies than previous.

Home brewing has proved a usefull cover for growing indoors , the smells are as strong and equally distinctive , hop grain and yeast residuals make excellent compost additions , brewery smell is pleasent and pervasive.

Might not be a good idea in Saudi or similar alcophobic hellholes.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
closet grow + Co2 = overkill

only time you run Co2 is if you've been doing the same thing for 5 years... then take that into a sealed room.

I see no point otherwise. too much of something can be as bad as too little..

TrichomeDesign

I agree with the above post. I was gonna do co2 in my closet grow until I decided it was complete overkill. How can temps be regulated in a 600w sealed closet grow without air conditioning? Not possible. How much is the AC unit gonna cost to buy? How much will it cost to run? How can I fit an AC unit in an already cramped space? After you figure all that out, add 30% to your yield. Then ask yourself if its worth it? A whole bedroom full of plants, hell yes. A room with about 4-6 plants, hell no.

Also, you can make your own co2 with water, sugar and yeast by clicking here. It generates co2 the same way the store bought bags do, but way cheaper.

Of course, theres no way to know how much co2 either of those things are pumping out without a co2 monitor. And if youre gonna get a co2 monitor, might as well throw in a regulator and 20-50lb co2 tank while youre at it. Just my opinion.