What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Going to Jamaica

Yummybud

Veteran
Jamaica looks like a great place to go to. I've heard it has the highest murder rate in the world..... mostly gangs killing each other, the tourist spots are probably nice though.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I've pretty much made up my mind I'll be going to the same place sometime this winter. I am so pumped, I can't wait.

G

I wouldn't stray too far from tourist areas, it's real easy to get mugged in Jamaica.

M

Mr. Nevermind

WitchKing said:
I wouldn't stray too far from tourist areas, it's real easy to get mugged in Jamaica.

Sure, if you walk around with 4 carat diamond earings and $4500 in cash hanging out of your pocket walking theu a slum it is. But since i go there twice a year, hang out with locals and walk around negril freely I can say the chances of getting robbed in Jamaica are just as bad as the chances of gettting robbed in the USA. MY girl is 5'11 135 pound white girl and walks around with no worries in the world. She has never been robbed either. Only think they say to her is " i like your baby" meaning when they see me with her they are telling me that she is pretty. Jamaica is fine, more o fa chance of getting robbed in Dc as there is Jamaica

Nevermind

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
I gotta agree with Nevermind even tho a freind of mine got stabbed to death in Kingston. But that shit cud happen to you anywhere man, so yummy stop it with the paranoia
peace

heres a good tip... dont by the ganja at the airport. there will be plenty of people you will meet who can get you some. We bought at the airport parking lot just because we were so worried about finding some. I think we paid $60 for close to an ounce of ok smoke. After that purchase we kept asking for high quality ganja from locals and we would get much better pot for far less $$. have fun!!

diggle

Nevermind....no offense but you probably blend in a little bit better down there than a lanky white dude like myself.
As others have said don't take the first offer for herb that comes up from a cab driver, there will be plenty of people with real fruity skunk along the beach for pretty cheap prices. If there's any doubt in your mind about a hunk of herb some guy is trying to sell you, just tell him you want better and keep moving. They don't expect the tourists to know real nice stuff from schwag so you'll get some sheisters trying to pass it off on you.
I haven't been anywhere besides Negril, so that's really the only area I can vouch for...not sure if I'd want to visit any other cities like Montego Bay or Kingston.

Stinkymutt

Negril

Negril

Ive been to negril 3 times and have loved it everytime. First off someone has to be open with you.. You will be hassled and possibly outright threatend to buy Crack on the beach and in every allyway to the beach. As well there is some fine herb to found and some dirtweed as well. If you stay firm and simply say "no thank you" and it usually works !(except with the crack heads) The same for shopping in the market (or anywhere at that), When a vendor asks you check out there stuff and then say "respect mon" they are simply looking for you to respect them and look at there stuff. But if you do like something do not pick it up or you may just buy it because these people need your money and will be worse than a used car salesman in Detroit.
And to truly enjoy your trip dont be a tourist. hire a driver (usually one at your hotel) to take you places in the "real jamaica". See the local culture and the backwoods, just not alone. A buck will go a long ways in Jamaica and being good at dickering will get you along as well. DONT BY DRUGS ON THE BEACH OR AT AIRPORT. And dont worry good ganja will find you!!
peace out
Mutt

VictoryGardener

holy hell
listen.. the locals are only pushers and mean IN the tourist areas.. because tourists are how they make a living.. I know none of you know me, but trust me when I say the locals OUTSIDE of the tourists towns may look mean but they are INCREDIBLY friendly and will give you directions/ advice etc very easily... you will NEVER be mugged outside of the tourist towns.. not the case in the tourist towns there are more churches in the non touristy areas than bars.. and if youve been, you know there are A LOT of bars.. the locals are kind and open and happy despite being destitute.. I can remember last summer I asked a local about something, and I bought an ounce of ganja from him- he sold me the ounce for 30 bucks and gave me a grocery bag full of great mangos, a branch of ganneppes, and a Kola Champagne
You will miss the real reason to go to Jamaica if you only go to the touristy areas... Negril is pretty, but overpriced, touristy as hell, and the locals will push you really hard to sell you drugs/ souvenirs/ etc
listen mate... you are missing the real reason to go if the only non touristy area you see is on the taxi ride to the resort... those gates are there for a very good reason... you WILL be mugged if you walk around at night in the not-so-well lit streets

trust me
I go to the bars and pool halls all the time in the back country to eat wonderful jerk and curry and hang out with the locals

I've been to Negril a few times and the best place to stay is at the RockHouse... VERY pretty

but mark my words, next time around, stay at Jake's. It will change your opinion of Jamaica. I have 4-5 friends that are locals. The locals are AMAZING people
and I've lived in Jamaica for the better part of the last ten years

Like I've said before, Jake's is the closest thing to heaven on earth. Utter peace and tranquility.. affordable as well

http://www.islandoutpost.com/jakes/

do yourself a HUGE favor and stay there next year
the touristy areas are nice and painfully american, and you might like it at first, but in the end you will only be dissapointed

Last edited:

VictoryGardener

holy hell
If you just spend one night at Jake's, I promise you will come back every year and your kids will continue the tradition (if you have/ are planning to have kids)

if you are following me so far, I suggest you stay at one of the octopussy cottages or at Jack Sprat cottage... Sweetlip is also nice....

VictoryGardener

holy hell
just don't believe the crap you hear on the travel channel or from your travel agent... Jamaica is an AMAZING country and I hope you at least get a likkle taste of how amazing it is

VictoryGardener

holy hell
if any of you guys end up at the front desk at Jake's then find Zeb, Colleen, or Dougie... they are amazingly kind locals that will show you the best of Jamaica that you can't see anywhere else.. I Promise you that trip will change your life... man, it sure changed mine

Stinkymutt

I didnt intend to down the locals at all. If it appeard that way i am truly sorry.
I totaly agree with Victory Gard. I dont stay at the "compound" at all! But if you do stay right on the beach and dont wander out you may come back saying you didnt like it? Everyone that has told me they didnt like it also either sailed in on a cruise or stayed at there hotel as All inclusive. It is for sure an eye opener and even a mind opener! i cant wait to go back but we just had our baby so it will be another year or so!
Peace
Mutt

Q*Bert

Hope you have as much fun as I did!!
Couple notes from the trip.
Dont put up with poor quality weed. If shown the crap, just say no mon, I like the green. I smoked schwag for the first couple days till I got hooked up. I even got a bunch of hash that set me just right. As for restaurants, some of the best are the ones by the highway with a bunch of people around them. I had only great experiences with the locals. As for the negatives, its basically a third world country. Some people dig it, me included, some dont. Hope you have a blast, here is a pic from the bungalo on Runaway Bay where we stayed to get you going.

Enjoy,
Q