What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RubeGoldberg's 2 room showdown! 6x750DE VS 4x315LEC & 4x600HPS

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
The pre-veg plants are looking a little stretchy from being in the tent for maybe too long. Will let them spread their wings for another week and get them flowering again!

Vegging them in the CMH room right now, pulled the HPS bulbs and am using the snazzy new Hortilux Blue MH bulbs that came with the compact HPS fixtures i'll be running in the new room...

they are really really blue, water on the leaves looked like some electric blue slime or something.

https://i.imgur.com/rV1ASjX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/l3qzTDE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3D1mPqL.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
does anybody know how to make my images not load fullsize by default? it seems like until recently it would load a smaller image that could be enlarged.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Sneak Peek on the next round!

Just built the newest room tonight! to try out the new hortilux CHPS technology, if its anything like CMH it should blow me alway. I cheaped out big time on this new room, since it will most likely only be used for 1-2 runs before weather and shitty prices in Canada force its shutdown. Overall though I'm very excited to see how these fixtures do. Plants in the pictures are 5 days into flower

ROhjXya.jpg

Qqj2J5v.jpg

RhD6k9t.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Will probably start a new thread as a shootout between the 3 rooms.

will throw 2 x 600w hortilux Blues down the center of the double ended room.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'll be watching closely how you do with the new ceramic HPS lights. Keep up the good work.

-Funk

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
1 week in! we spread the plants out to all of the rooms around day 4-5. I'll probably start a new thread, but here we are for right now.

Room 1, Double ended 600/750 illuminaies with 2 x 600w Hortilux Super blues down the center
Do8oLvT.jpg

Room 2, 4x315w CMH and 4x600w HPS
ALxR4op.jpg

Room 3, 4x600w CHPS Hortilux SE600
QW5tQFW.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Great job mate
Is the heat from the se600 any less than a standard hps 600

hard to say... BUT the room was running without any exhaust or intake at a steady 76 degrees at canopy height for about a day.

2400w really isnt a lot to be running in that room, but if the results are better than 1000w single ended HPS (which it should be)

2400 is definitely nicer than 4000 watts.

9DRAGONS

lovely plants, are you using gavita? what do you think of them, they supposed to be the best lights in the world.

the first picture got me in the thread now i gonna watch and learn.
thanks for posting great pictures.

happy growing to you, and have great weekend

Hey Rube, you never mentioned what colour temp.(k) those LEC's were.
Was it the 3,100k or 4,200k?

I've been hearing reports of guys doing 4,200k start to finish, ever heard of this?(I, too, work in the wholesale/retail hort. supply industry)

By the way, fantastic work on those BC Bubbas and thank you for doing this side by side. A real eye opener for the LEC's. Always thought they would yield less but combined with SE HPS they are obviously a champ.

Have you thought about doing a shared room with CHPS and Hortilux Blues? Would make for some interesting results, especially because both run on magnetic HPS 600s.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Hey Rube, you never mentioned what colour temp.(k) those LEC's were.
Was it the 3,100k or 4,200k?.

Pretty sure they're 3100s

I've been hearing reports of guys doing 4,200k start to finish, ever heard of this?(I, too, work in the wholesale/retail hort. supply industry) .

Yup, I've heard of a lot of guys retrofitting their grows with a mix of 3100's and 4200's the way I stagger with HPS

By the way, fantastic work on those BC Bubbas and thank you for doing this side by side. A real eye opener for the LEC's. Always thought they would yield less but combined with SE HPS they are obviously a champ.

Blew my mind. I'm really excited to do another run now that I know what to dial in.

Have you thought about doing a shared room with CHPS and Hortilux Blues? Would make for some interesting results, especially because both run on magnetic HPS 600s.

Yup, Was going to do that originally, but wanted to see them on their own first. I'll probably stagger them for the next run.

That being said, the growth under the CHPS is insanely fast so far and i'd almost be scared to put them in my other rooms where the plants are elevated on tables.

you bring up a curious point though. I really wonder how the CHPS lights will perform on non-hortilux ballasts, as far as I know they aren't selling the bulbs by themselves yet, but i'd imagine that changes soon.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm interested in how you do with the CHPS. According to Hortilux they put out about 1/3 of the lumens of a SE 600w HPS while using the same amount of electricity. That 2700k and 80 CRI must really make plants happy. This will be a very cool experiement.

-Funk

scarafino

hey

hey

Hello , Beautiful this new CHPS piece! which 8X8 space? I sent you that Private message for advice, but you never answer me :( In any case very nice work your culture!

Last edited:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I've been very lazy this run and have been traveling which involves erasing all my photos before crossing borders, so unfortunately the week-by-week updates have been piss poor.

Here are some images of the plants at week 6 (42 days)
The CHPS room is looking really poor compared to the other 2 rooms, however I took those clones myself rather than getting them from my clone guy, and I was quite lazy/rough with them. Also the room has some environmental lackings compared to the 2 bigger rooms.

(you'll notice they're yellowing pretty bad in the CHPS room, that is due to shitty setup for runoff, i flushed them, but i will offset with a lime topdressing to raise the root-zone pH)

so unfortunately, this is not a good side-by-side run for seeing what the CHPS room can do....

But anyhow, here are the rooms. I think canopy density definitely looks best in the Single Ended HPS/CMH mix room. Weirdly though, the room didn't stretch like last time....

Kgp7KwV.jpg

OKtH9KV.jpg

5wYv8yV.jpg

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
just comparing the best room from last run to how it looks this run..

night and day difference.... Im really curious to see what the weight difference is this time.

x4IDOLL.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts