What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perlite Test tube Cloner - no/low maintenance

clown baby

This was inspired by the threads on perlite cloning in popsicle molds.

I liked it because 1) the perlite passively wicks up water as needed and 2) no clone dome necessary. It's a little slower than an aerocloner but the ease of maintenance is worth it for me, and I can just cut clones a week earlier to compensate.

Materials:
-10x20 propagation tray
-50mL centrifuge tubes (2x 1/8" holes drilled into the bottom of each tube so water can get it)
-Something to hold the tubes up (I made a lid of some plastic cardboard to keep light out of the water, but you can probably use a centrifuge tube rack)
-Perlite. Not miracle grow brand, you don't want the added fertilizer.

1. The propagation tray is filled with a gallon of water, with just a little bit of bleach. (1mL of 1/5th diluted bleacH solution/gallon). Bleach prevents the funk but doesn't hurt the plants at this concentration.

2. Scoop some perlite into the 50mL centrifuge tubes, and set them up in the propagation tray so they can start wicking water.

3. Dip your clones into root powder/gel, and pop them in.

4. go live your life. Just replace the water in the tray once every 7-10 days until you have roots.

Every week or two, I dump the water, give the tray a quick cleaning, refill with water/bleach, and put the clone rack back in.

Usually see decent roots within 2 weeks. So I take clones 3 weeks before I need them and let them get extra rooted.

Benefit of the clear centrifuge tubes is being able to check for roots without disturbing the clone / media. Been a game-changer for me. Wasn't able to find too many threads on low maintenance cloning, so i hope this helps people in a similar situation.

Cloner in action
attachment.php

Checking for roots
attachment.php

Rooted clone after 2-3 weeks
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1727.JPG
    IMG_1727.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Iamnumber

Thank you for sharing this !!

couple questions to drill into specifics.

What is the humidity during cloning process ( first couple of days / after that ). Do you use dome or something like that (what) to manage humidity?

What kind of light are you using as sun, how far is it and is it 'best spot under that light' or 'peripheral spot' under that light? dose the amount of light change over time? lux values measured up with smartphone app? verbal description of setup?

Looking the first picture I gather that you do not 'snip 20to30% off' from the sun leaves in your cutlings. It is my understanding that cutting the tips of the leaves would encourage plant to develop roots and cutting more (up to 50%) would reduce the amount of water that plant needs to evaporate (thus helping the rooting process).

Could you share with us the reasoning why you do not snip the leaves? I am not saying that my statements (above) are the truth. I am saying that that is what I have learned from the forums and what I perceive as best info available. As you use different technique with high rate of success (I assume).. I would like to know more about the 'why'

:tiphat:

clown baby

Thank you for sharing this !!

couple questions to drill into specifics.

What is the humidity during cloning process ( first couple of days / after that ). Do you use dome or something like that (what) to manage humidity?

I haven't ever needed to use a dome with this method. Depending on time of year and location, my humidity's probably ranged from 40 to 65 %RH. Plants still root. The perlite wicks water up into the rootzone and keeps it moist in there.

What kind of light are you using as sun, how far is it and is it 'best spot under that light' or 'peripheral spot' under that light? dose the amount of light change over time? lux values measured up with smartphone app? verbal description of setup?

t5s t8s, CFL, LEDs, any kind of "grow" light will all work. You could probably even get away with incandescent. you don't want these under strong light, so maybe dont use a 600w hps to clone. A single t5 strip a foot away will work just fine. They only need weak light. Don't overcomplicate it.

Looking the first picture I gather that you do not 'snip 20to30% off' from the sun leaves in your cutlings. It is my understanding that cutting the tips of the leaves would encourage plant to develop roots and cutting more (up to 50%) would reduce the amount of water that plant needs to evaporate (thus helping the rooting process).

Could you share with us the reasoning why you do not snip the leaves? I am not saying that my statements (above) are the truth. I am saying that that is what I have learned from the forums and what I perceive as best info available. As you use different technique with high rate of success (I assume).. I would like to know more about the 'why'

Usually I'll clip the fans. If i'm feeling lazy or don't have a lot of time while cloning a batch, i won't. If you have the time, go ahead and do it. They root either way. You know that phrase, "there's 1000 ways to skin a cat?" That applies to growing plants, too. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. I ditched the aerocloner in favor of this method because it was low maintenance and I can leave clones unattended for a week at a time.

:tiphat:

happy growing

clown baby

I just turn them upside down over their future pots and give them a couple shakes. The perlite on the top will sprinkle off and the mini rootball will come out.

If you really want to be gentle, you can submerge them in water to loosen the perlite and extract them. I don't do this anymore, because shaking them out works, but you can do it if you want.

But yeah, if they're not well rooted, you shouldn't just rip them out by the stem.

Last edited:

clown baby

I pour about a gallon into a 10"x20" propagation tray. ends up being just over an inch of water in the tray.

Last edited: