What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doing the patches and the lozenges!

Floridian

Veteran
Dec 20 2012 I quit smoking cigarettes after smoking for about 35 years.I quit totally for over 3 years,on the 4th year I had one maybe every couple of weeks always in social situations never alone.When I quit at the end of 2012,I was about as trouble free as a person on this planet could possibly be,New truck and shortly after new Key West fishing boat,few if any personal problems and loving growing to the max and enjoying all the benefits.My dookie hit the fan in November because of a couple really bad decisions and in January when I became free,I moved in moms house to take care of her full time.I have been caring for her for a few years but always went home to my house at the end of the night and returned the next day.It became permanent in January.It;s real hard anymore,she is 86,just broke a hip right before Easter,and has other painful issues.I started smoking again in January after 4 years and couldn't hardly believe how fast my 1 pack and then some habit returned,I used stress as an excuse.I've didn't need shit to quit the first time,but my situation was a lot different.The patches and lozenges are really doing what they are supposed to do,but you have to really want to stop too.I know it's possible because I did it before,so many smokers think it just isn't possible I know I was one for decades.Anyone really ready needs to try patches and lozenges as it really is doing it for me at the outset.I never believed in these aids before,but I'll be damned if my nicotine fits have subsided probably 90% since I started using them.Identify the triggers that make you light up and avoid them or just know about them and you're nearly there.

k-s-p

Veteran
Good luck and hang in there. Nicotine was tough to kick. I dipped for a long time but quit for good about 7 years ago. I tapered off with herbal snuff substitutes that were pretty good. I still have one of the plastic cans and I keep peppermint tea, dampened, in it. I still have the urge sometimes and just dip peppermint now. :tiphat:

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I quit for 10 years and used to patches to do it. :yes: Then, like a dumbass, when I started going thru a divorce and hanging out at the bars, I picked the habit up again. And you are right...it comes back so fast its like you never stopped! :biglaugh: So I smoked again for 6 years and this past October I quit again. What sucked was the patches werent as effective the second time around. :no: Had to go with Chantix.

MickTheBrag

quiting cigs

quiting cigs

took me six times to quit. months and years at a time. everyone kept passing a joint with tasty weed and I couldn't refuse. but now ashtrays look disgusting and weed has won. I use herbal ciggaretes in my joints now.
its tough stopping. but must be done. I now smoke weed in straight pipes. and its just as effective as tobacco.

hope you make it. :comfort:

Floridian

Veteran
Yea VP I cant believe the number of cartons I have gone through since the end of January,It's like those four years never really happened.After six years it would be a tough road but hey I've had a couple friends use Chantix and quit altogether so I know that's another effective tool.

B

bigganjabud

Good for you bro

Supportful rays and positive thoughts to you man

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I am supposed to be on them now..I got the gum instead of lozenges tho...maybe I will start. Monday... yeehaw....smokes went up 2$a pack here in Cali in April...

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When they scheduled me to cut my chest open for open heart surgery I quit and never even gave it another thought .They're evil.

Floridian

Veteran
Morning number three and all is cool.I glad I did it once before I know it's definitely something achievable.I think a lot of folks don't even try because they basically feel deep down inside that they have no real chance and that's too bad

solofoe

Congrats man I commend you on your achievement... I've quite for extended periods and started again but finally quit I think it's almost been 3 years now... those nicotine withdrawals are no joke.. the hardest part for me was not picking it up while I was drinking and socializing

Floridian

Veteran
Yea drinking is the most difficult for most I would say.Whether it's alcohol or coffee cigarettes just seem to partner up with them nicely.Have to identify each behavioural trigger and be aware each and every minute basically.Having a drink,getting behind the wheel,answering the phone,receiving a guest,the list is a pretty long one

B

bigganjabud

Yea drinking is the most difficult for most I would say.Whether it's alcohol or coffee cigarettes just seem to partner up with them nicely.Have to identify each behavioural trigger and be aware each and every minute basically.Having a drink,getting behind the wheel,answering the phone,receiving a guest,the list is a pretty long one

Just having a pass back through

If coffee or alcohol are triggers swap em for juice or water

Spartan movements

Floridian

Veteran
Or just don't change my behavior because of them,some things are just not worth giving up like coffee lol!

solofoe

It's all about will power in my opinion... I still think beer coffee and drive and don't smoke cigs.... it takes a long time for the odd craving to go away but it gets so much easier the longer you go

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve quit numerous times, sometimes for long periods. The biggest mistake once you quit is to think that having just one won’t be a problem. That’s probably one of the biggest reasons for failure, “what harm can one do?”

I remember one of the times I tried to quit I decided to wean myself off. Cut back to 5 a day…rationing. It was torture and didn’t work at all. I did it for weeks and a couple of things I did learn from it were I saved a lot of money and how many times you automatically went for a cig even if you didn’t want or need it.

I agree, you have to want to quit and do the things necessary (for you) to be successful. One of the biggest troubles I have is I really enjoy tobacco but that’s just an excuse that has to be overcome.

Good luck Floridian.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I quit cold turkey for 2 Years when living in my 5th wheel in three rivers by sequoia nat forest...Within 2 weeks of returning to city life I was back smoking..Moral of story is city life sucks ass....Yeehaw

brown_thumb

I can't help with advice because I've never smoked. However, I'm subscribing to learn more about nicotine delivery systems and brands. I'm trying lozenges as a supplement to help my brain make more dopamine, epinephrine and serotonin.

I'm taking the 4mg lozenges and they don't seem to be doing much, if anything. One 4mg lozenge is supposed to deliver approximately the same amount of nicotine as four average cigarettes. I chew and swallow one lozenge and the only thing I notice is a very slight tingling in my mouth.

Perhaps I bought the wrong brand... or maybe nicotine doesn't do much to me. I have Parkinson's so maybe the nicotine just doesn't do anything for me? I've been trying it for four days.

starke

Hang tough. I quit after 40 years this past October. Have not reached a year yet but I keep plugging along one day at a time. I used Chantix. Over the years I tried the gum when it first came out (prescription), the patches, the lozenges etc. Never quit more than a couple months and usually not "completely". The Chantix worked for me. Funny thing is, with my senses of smell and taste returning I can finally appreciate the different tastes and smell of weed strains. For a lot of years I thought the aroma and taste descriptions I was reading must have been invented by yuppies (chocolate with a hint of funk and blueberry...yeah right.) Turns out they were right all along. :yummy:

Latest posts

Latest posts