What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here grow boomers to go with their greens?

OldPhart

Not sure if this is the right forum, but was just wondering if anyone else grows shrooms? I like to keep a few around for special occasions, and seeing as how I haven't seen them for sale in like 20 years, I just grow some of my own, once or twice a year. I am fond of the simple psilocybe cubensis, just because they are dead simple to grow, and 2.5-3 dried grams will get me where I want to go.

OldPhart

Not currently. But looking to start for the same reasons. Just started reading up on a pf tech.

Right on, I used the BRF/vermiculite (pf tech) for years. Still doing cakes, but using wild birdseed now. The birdseed just produces more for longer, but takes a little longer to get started. I have found The Hawks Eye to be a reliable source of spores, and I personally like the B+ strain. I'll order 4 syringes, at a time, and cook up about 16 jars, then store the other 2 syringes in the fridge for 6 months, before I do another batch of jars. So for about 50 bucks a year, I have enough boomers for me and a few friends to dose at least a half dozen times a year. One piece of advice, get a pressure cooker, period. The pressure cooker is the secret sauce, have never seen much need for other equipment such as glove boxes and the like, you just have to keep things clean. Good luck and be safe, if you see anything that looks or smells bad, pitch it.

Edit: It looks like there have been major changes at The Hawks Eye, and prices have gone up.... that sucks... but the shipping address is still the same, so I assume it is still the same people.

Last edited:

k-s-p

Veteran
I'm going to give it a go this spring. I'd like to try microdosing but also taking a few good trips a year again, too. I think I'll try to grow liberty caps. We should have ovoids sprouting soon, seems about time. Hoping to find some when I go look for morels this week.

I also switched from pf tek to wbs and like it so far. I didn't really like the b+, but I might have gotten an old spore syringe from a friend.

I have gone through sleeping forest fungi for spores, but am looking at a different spore source.

Right now I have some Hawaiians going and about to noc up some jars of PE.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...my first try has worked out pretty good ok.

picture.php

...shoulda harvested a day sooner before the spores started dropping.

picture.php

...btw, these are B+ and this is less than half of what i reaped in this first flush, here's hoping i get a good second flush.

...also, it turns out this was way easier than i'd expected.