What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Manipuri

Charles-scott

Veteran
Thanks for sharing the pic link
The kush types that I call golden temple Kush were from a farm North of Amritsar and are not at all common in the area at least not for heavy set Canuck on a old Russian side car bike :laughing:
My Chinese did have purples both the older version I obtained by trading on the net and the more recently imported version it also has mutations weird leaf mutations on a small % of individuals .
The Burmese as its called in Canada does not show that coloration at all and it was very subtle but there were some slightly darker plants I would not call totally purple but yes .

I don't really see a connection between what the majority of the US market calls "kush " and the plants I know to be true kush's I think the majority of the "kush" plants are from the Pakistani gene pool , the terpene profiles of plants Like Chem Dog are so much like the best of Pakistan and the structure many of these "kush" plants are taller and don't fit that short super wide leafed Afghani structure .
Bubba Kush is more like a true kush from my understanding Nevil and I have talked about this topic in the past .
I know that there was a time when actual flowers were being imported from the region to North America that would explain where the genetic base for many of today's popular cultivars entered North America I know this to be a fact for BC Canada I also herd the same loads were coming into the USA along the west coast but this all ended around the time of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan .

I am only offering my observation of the various strains I have grown and collected if Cannabis seeds were sweets I would be fatter than I am now .
Very insightful, I've heard of Burmese and Chinese indicas before but in my mind they're a separate genepool from the Kush type, they're not hashplants and probably not derived from hashplants. Thai and Laotian show this influence as well.

Only Ornamental posted this picture from Clarkes book, I think it shows the relatonships between different varieties pretty well.

View Image

Kush strains are an isolate and confined to a small area, it's crazy how widespead they have become since they were commercialized. Looking at the map I think it's very much a possibility that "Kush" is an ancient cross breed of Indian and Central Asian genetics, the short stature might have come from ruderalis and the wide leafs from chinensis but that is of course just speculation from my part. Chinensis however is a separate gene pool.

I can't post pictures of RSC Manipuri but I'll pm you the links. Lots of purples in them, did your Chinese and Burmese plants have that feature?

Genghis Kush

about 15 years ago I was in Mae Hong Son, in the far northwest corner of Thailand, directly on the Burmese border.

I had trekked to a tribal village that was involved in cross border smuggling.
I asked If they could get me some herb and they produced some incredible flowers.

It was unlike anything I've seen in South East asia.

It was about 2 ounces of large, very unique, blue hued buds.
Pretty stoney stuff, if I remember correctly.

This must have been one of the, "Burmese/Chinese Indicas" you speak of.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I now have both Manipuri strains by TRSC, that should make up for the bust that happened with Kerala. By the looks of it these strains have more in common with the Burmese/Chinese/Thai genepool than the general Indian genepool, purple coloration and leaves a bit on the wider side.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I now have both Manipuri strains by TRSC, that should make up for the bust that happened with Kerala. By the looks of it these strains have more in common with the Burmese/Chinese/Thai genepool than the general Indian genepool, purple coloration and leaves a bit on the wider side.

Hey Thule what was your impression of the purple pheno after the cure?

thejact55

Please share. I am curious as well. I have mani on my seed to-do list. I love RSC. Have Nanda rolling now and have done malana and Sinai in the last year.

Blues harp: have you grown RSC lines before?

Testing Manipuri myself, 5/5 excellent vigour and grows root nubs high up on the stems (good rooting trait).

Thank's RSC!

More later.

BluesHarp

@ Simple Gardener, Thats good to know about the germanation rate for Manipuri. I was a little concerned re. germanation. I also wanted the Kerala but was unable to order direct from RSC. I see none poped for you....sorry bout that. Please keep us updated...Hopefully you'll open pollinate..Hint Hint...

@ Jact55....Never grown RSC seeds yet. WIll probablly pull the trigger on RSC Chitrali and Manipuri.... Last year i grew a few Tropical seeds varities outdoor guerilla style, thier Old Congo , Cognition and Original Delicatessen Seeds Queen Mother,,,very tasty btw. Im trying to decide whats gonna get grown this season. Want to do an open pollination. Also have in the possible line up USC's Double Jam and ZamalMystic. I have limited outdoor grow areas, so I've really been following up with grow reports for this last year....

Jact55 what do you have going on?

Thx all
BluesHarp

thejact55

@ Simple Gardener, Thats good to know about the germanation rate for Manipuri. I was a little concerned re. germanation. I also wanted the Kerala but was unable to order direct from RSC. I see none poped for you....sorry bout that. Please keep us updated...Hopefully you'll open pollinate..Hint Hint...

@ Jact55....Never grown RSC seeds yet. WIll probablly pull the trigger on RSC Chitrali and Manipuri.... Last year i grew a few Tropical seeds varities outdoor guerilla style, thier Old Congo , Cognition and Original Delicatessen Seeds Queen Mother,,,very tasty btw. Im trying to decide whats gonna get grown this season. Want to do an open pollination. Also have in the possible line up USC's Double Jam and ZamalMystic. I have limited outdoor grow areas, so I've really been following up with grow reports for this last year....

Jact55 what do you have going on?

Thx all
BluesHarp

I have been on an RSC kick over the last year. I did Sinai outdoors with awesome results. I then did Malana and Sinai indoors with
open pollination (serperated of course). Got maybe 1000 seeds overall. I have some Nanda seeding now. I have Chitrali and lebanese lined up for outdoor this year. I like the strains, purely unique. I have ample Ace, cannabiogen, tropical and many others lined up...I just can't stop on the RSC lol
I'll get pics up soon. Reason I asked is RSC plants are finicky. Light to no nutes and plenty of soil help alot.

I really want that double Jam!!! I think it's out of stock now. How was the congo? I think their senegal might be neat, just picked up that strain.

ngakpa

Veteran
As simple gardener says - I would expect high germination rates on the Manipuri, and very vigorous plants.

I make it very clear what genepool this strain belongs to in the description. (I have no idea how we got onto Kushes. And if you want to see what a plant from the Hindu Kush looks like grow the Chitrali).

Manipur is at the crossroads of India (Bengal) on one side and Indochina (Burma/Thailand) on the other. These are ganja cultivars. Kushes don't feature.

As for Kush plants in Amritsar - is which waaay on the other side of India from Manipur. Well people in India can buy seeds from the internet too, and I'm sure plenty of Punjabis have. But the traditional plants in the Punjab region were grown for bhang - seeded plants ground up for cooking. The Punjab has zero resemblance to the Hindu Kush - it is monsoonal and subtropical. The traditional plants grown in Punjab are large semi-feral 'sativas', narrow leaflets, frequently with red stems. There are wild 'sativa' plants all over the hill regions of Punjab. Essentially the same genepool is continuous into Kullu and that area of the Himalaya - cultivated plants in the high valleys are descended from the same stuff.

If you see broad-leaflet plants around Amritsar they are 99.99% certain to be imported modern hybrid genetics.

The good thing about Manipuri is no hybrids have been introduced there, and there is no history of eradication like in Kerala. These are very pure plants. And to reiterate: the seeds should perform just great.

Most importantly: Manipuri is a pure tropical ganja 'sativa' - like an oldschool Thai... Kushes and indica hashplants are totally irrelevant to this discussion.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
i was reading a thread about manipuri at UK*** today. when i got it right they sprouted in the first week of may in a flower room, showed sex at begin of july and where cut in the last week of september what was early.
has any one else flowered these and can tell me when they show sex? mine show no sing at 7 weeks from clone. they are in small pots but still stretch. should i repot them in bigger ones or just be patient a little longer?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
i was reading a thread about manipuri at UK*** today. when i got it right they sprouted in the first week of may in a flower room, showed sex at begin of july and where cut in the last week of september what was early.
has any one else flowered these and can tell me when they show sex? mine show no sing at 7 weeks from clone. they are in small pots but still stretch. should i repot them in bigger ones or just be patient a little longer?

What is your light regime?

Typically tropical sativas take around 40 to 60 days from seed to show sex. I never saw anything take longer than that but I usually give the plants less than 12 hours of light to make things happen faster.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
looks like i have two females :biggrin:.
on the cuts i took later from the mothers. they are now at day 31 from flip to 11/13.

thejact55

Nice man! Very lucky results. Can you share any pictures? I have a stash of manipuri standing by for a later time.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
still have no cam, so no pics sorry

mine are at week 17 and 14, and show little flowers,
stretch like hell(tallest plant is about 1,8m in a 2l pot) and
are very sensitive to nutes. burned leaftips after 1/4 strenght canna bio flores.
the 17 weeks plants where cuts, taken as soon as possible and they startet to flower a little later than the 14 weeks plants. the 14 weeks cuts were taken 3 weeks later.
light was 11/13 400Whps+2x150W osram powerball 942

i would recomend to
veg them until they show sex or as long as possible and take cuts flower them in the smallest pots u can use
cut the tips multiple times(8 tops? 16tops?)
use nutes at very very low levels
and be patient

i decided to give them a second try in late summer.
they still are in my flower room but not under direct light. after that no more stretch and the bud grow a little bigger.
hope that helps willi

Latest posts

Latest posts