What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal cash crop???

benjuanman

Veteran
Was wondering if there was a plant that one could grow hydroponically to warrant paying the power bill for 1-2K of lights. I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is orchids or something like that. I understand that you can't profit the same as one would from cannabis but I'm unable to grow MJ atm and still wanna grow hydro. It might seem like I'm chasing rainbows but I'm serious and basically only need to cover power and nutrients. thnx:tiphat:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
competition is fierce in the nursery business. I dont think you could compete with them. They just have more of a selection then you would have. Plus there pricing will be much cheaper then yours.

G

Groseph

Its got to be a niche thing.. think local upscale restaurants. Have your product speak for itself.

You can still play around in hydro without using hid lighting. Maybe look into lower light leaf lettuce or something which can be grown under lower wattage. Savings on ventilation, etc follow.

I'd start scoping out any upscale local restaurants and asking what they could use.. cheaper and fresher. Some hydro basil I bet makes their basil look pretty pathetic... Its just about finding the business that actually cares and will spend an extra buck (or possibly not) to provide their customers a better/fresher product.

...or take it to retail yourself. Start a juice bar/smoothie hut using your own grown.

benjuanman

Veteran
Yeah I can see both of your points. Regarding yours Groseph, I remember seeing a chain of upmarket resturants having fresh herbs and lettuce growing under LED's. Might be just what I need to keep me going for the next 6-12mths.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Well gormae edible mushrooms :) or tissue culture with orchids sell em for 20 bucks a bottle on eBay and your good to go... But you need some different tools than just a grow light ;) just my 2 euros

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Specialty shit,... something that no one else can produce. Personally I'm in to Hot peppers, so I'm doing them next to my other crops,.....

Thing is, I'm finding that I need separate area's for the peppers to get them just right!....

One could try fresh "orgainic" "Leafus" (any leafy lettuce or spinach, maybe spices ) That shit does good in cold temps and low light.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you could grow these I would by them from you

The best black truffles undoubtedly come from France, where winter black truffles are more commonly called the Diamond of Perigord. This exquisite mushroom tuber melanosporum vitt grows in the Provence region of France from December to March. During this season the truffle markets are abundant of this delicious tuber, black with a dark marbled interior, characterized by an earthy and chocolaty flavor. The summer black truffle, tuber aestivum vitt or “truffe de la St. Jean” is found in France in the same fields where the winter variety grows, during the months of June to November. Less fragrant and flavorful than the winter truffle, it remains a good choice for culinary experimentation without the price tag.

These are exellant. I can eat bags of them but there very expensive..

benjuanman

Veteran
I feel u on the chillis Canniwhatsis I've got one Habenero and 8 unkown in some rockwool/hydroton in net pots. Will be putting them into some SWCtubs soon. I live in a small country town but chillis are getting more popular with a couple of those competition burgers going at bars, full of habs and ghost chillis.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Habs like seem to like around 13-14 hours of full light,.... I'm just hoping that my Ghost clone will start growing soon, if not the backup plan is to take another clone from the local Hydro store! :D

Not sure if you know about it, but on the chili end of growing, check out the "I like the hottest peppers" thread.

here's the link to the first page, be warned,.... it's 40+ pages! ;)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=173099

woolybear

Veteran
420giveaway
unfortunately no. if there was, people would be growing it.

i think the only crop that justifies paying PG&E rates is weed. makes sense, right?

or forget the lights and grow shrooms. harder to unload shrooms tho

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
unfortunately no. if there was, people would be growing it.

i think the only crop that justifies paying PG&E rates is weed. makes sense, right?

or forget the lights and grow shrooms. harder to unload shrooms tho

Yeah, well talkin "Legal" crops an all.:blowbubbles:

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
I know some people that sells hot peppers plants/cuts for decent prices (depending how big the plants/pots are and how rare the strain). Stuff like Trinidad Scorpion or 7-Pot is not easy to find in regular nurseries so you can arrange some deals with your local ones.

Peace

=K

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
lettuce. you can start small w/ farmers markets, and if you can get enough going to supply local restaurants, i bet you will do well.

check out cropking lettuce videos on youtube. they sell commercial nft lettuce systems. probably not what you're looking for, but what you can work your way up towards, if thats your goal

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45vMicFtuE

keep it green

Last edited:
If one has a little outdoor plot, I'd imagine this is a good time to start a few tobacco plants inside for transplanting in spring. But that is a lenghty process to a finished product. And I don't see it really being easy to sell. Select cigar stores? Gift it out?

Midnight

Veteran
Grow tomatoes, peppers, cilantro. Harvest and make salsa and then sell the salsa. And for you pepper lovers, a habanero pepper ain't shit. Try a bhut jolokia, pure damn fire!

Or, a couple months before the last frost in your area grow as much different vegetable seedlings as you can. If you time it right you can then off all of your seedlings at a garage sale just as spring has sprung.

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints

Nifty_PoT

^Saffron is next to illegal as its used for the safrole oil (used to make mdma) And u nead loads of plants just to make a little oil unfortunately ;p