What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fish Hydrolysate (not fish emulsion)

C

CaliGabe

Oooooooollllddd thread. Pacific Gro makes the best fish hydrolysate available IMO. Jim Brackins at PG very good to deal with. Also look at their crab hydrolysate, 2-1-1, it rocks and fungi love it. For a kelp 'product' I use Advancing Eco Agriculture's Sea Stim. The stuff is like goop. Very concentrated and potent. Foliar, soil drench or in a tea...it rocks.

im guessing that making your own would be a dirty job? im thinking that I can go catch a few or several small fish throw em in the blender with some water and blend them to a liquid or as close to liquid as I can get it.

how can I store it? I assuming it would need to be at least pasteurized if not totally sterilized right? and once opened to the air would need to be refrigerated to avoid contamination. or can I just blend it up and store it in an airtight container?

rik78

Veteran
Thatoendude, I make my own and so far so good. Put in the blender 2-3 tbps the molasses and one probiotic drink, mix well and put in a plastic bottle with lose cap.

Dont fill de bottle until top, just 2/3. Shake everyday and keep away as it will smell for the first few days. It will be done in 2 months.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
picture.php

lol.

natedogNW

My brief experiment with homemade fish fert:

As an obsessed fly fisherman i have an endless supply of mountain whitefish and rainbow, brown, and brook trout. So i took 3 whole 10-12 inch whitefish, put em in a tripple bagged ziplock and smashed it into a chunky paste with a rock. Yes im a bit of a caveman haha. I then put the fish paste in a cylinder shapped tupperware container with 1/3 water, 2 cups sugar, and a scoop of greek yogurt for cultures. I put a couple holes in the lid and used window screen to keep out bugs.
After being overwintered outdoors (im not going to ferment fish indoors you crazy!) exposed to single digit temps (F) i checked on it. Looked like brown puke =/ but didnt smell untill i would mix it then id get a faint not too unpleasant vinegar odor. Im sure it smelled horribly during ferment but thats what 5 acre lots are for lol. Having no fun plants to test it on i used an extraordinary rhubarb as my test. I say extraordinary cause it lives in the most hostile conditions possible: like 80 percent pumice dust/soil and no water in a subalpine desert. It lived like that for more than 5 years between the previous owner dying and some family of mine buying it. Back on track though, i dug a foot deep hole as close to the rhubarb as possible and put a cup and a half of my fish slop in then burried. It was about two weeks into sprouting up. My fatal mistake was watering the plant irregularly as it added another variable and i was trying isolate the results to just the fish fert. That being said, In the end it grew 2 1/2 times the size it did the previous years. It looked like green elephant ears on red sticks. It could have been the infrequent watering though. I added another whole whitefish unsmashed into the remaining goop and it completely dissolved in less than a month, telling me it was still active with cultures.

natedogNW

I have a few questions related to this experiment. What catagory of fish fert does this fall into? It is stored and fermented outside in the high desert climate (-20 to 100 degrees in a year, yikes!!). How long could this possibly store in such horrid conditions? And could i just do a continuous fermentation by adding another fish everytime i take out a cup or two and have constant ferts or should i do seperate batches with consistant ages? Im also contemplating sacrificing a blender to finely chop scales and bones for micronutes but i wonder if i let it sit long enough the microbes would dissolve them. The microbes in this mix are like pirhana and strip a whole fish to the bone in a couple weeks

An old bush doctor trick I witnessed when I was younger. Bury a whole fish in winter. Mid spring plant right on top of it. Our old mate grew some beastly bush. Luckily we get amazing cheeep fish hydrolysate and native brown bull kelp soup.

Cork144

I roll and sell fishing baits that use various fish proteins as feed stimulants, hydroslates have a higher organic matter content, therefore are better for use of rotting and promoting beneficial bacterias

Easy7

Veteran
Anyone with experience with fish hydrolysate powder? Is it stinky? In want something that ranks up my soil

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
An old bush doctor trick I witnessed when I was younger. Bury a whole fish in winter. Mid spring plant right on top of it. Our old mate grew some beastly bush. Luckily we get amazing cheeep fish hydrolysate and native brown bull kelp soup.
the Indians did that..hell anyone with a brain does it...my area has fish buried everywhere...along with seaweed and bull kelp ...yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts