What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a website like this one?

Hubbleman

Veteran
I’m in the process of making a website not unlike this one, I know to use php and MySQL, but how to make it smart phone / tablet friendly like IC ??

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is a cannabis cultivation forum.

Your questions will be best asked on web-design/programming/php/forum-management type forums. ;) It's the place you'll get the in-depth answers you're looking for.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
You pay and use a package like Vulletin, otherwise you are just reinventing the wheel, all the work was done ages ago and has spent years getting developed, debugged. You can usually add in modules for extra functions

Run on UNIX/Linux not Windows, no question.

Hubbleman

Veteran
Ohh and by the way my website is not a forum or anything already premade

I’ve been told to build it with php sql

RB56

Veteran
Can’t I create php sql content on windows 10?im pretty sure I can, same as ASP NET :dance013:
Complete LAMP stack can be installed on Windows. I doubt ChaosCatalunya was saying you couldn't, rather that you shouldn't and probably more hosting than development. Having at least a working knowledge of UNIX will expand your options dramatically. Microsoft never got the Internet.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Complete LAMP stack can be installed on Windows. I doubt ChaosCatalunya was saying you couldn't, rather that you shouldn't and probably more hosting than development. Having at least a working knowledge of UNIX will expand your options dramatically. Microsoft never got the Internet.
Double vote for this...
*nix/Linux has a long history of being much more efficient at server tasks. Personally, I've always used Microsoft for playing and linux for working. There are a few specific apps which run better(only) on Win/Mac, but they're not server apps. :tiphat:

RB56

Veteran
Using a hosted Web server is the right choice for most people, including me. Server side stuff requires different skills and tools than site development does. I have no interest in being on call 24/7/365. I spend $400 a month for a dedicated server for my business, but there are really good options for less critical needs that start at $20/month. Instead of having an alarm go off at 2am telling you there is a problem with the server, they get the alarm. If something happens that they don't catch, I send an e-mail. Much better.

I used to maintain Linux servers on site for development work. I don't do that anymore because connections are so fast now that I just telnet into my server and work in a development space that is identical to the live version. It's really remarkable what can be accomplished now.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Yes if you know what you are doing

Yes if you know what you are doing

So is it ok if I design my web app on my windows PC and then get a web host?

I'm an old Unix 'C' developer and Webmaster. Worked on Arpnet before www.

Years ago I made a functional equivalent of Monster using PHP and MySQL.

That said you can write Web Stuff with PHP but if you're doing a forum, buy the commercial product.

I write and maintain websites for my NONPROFIT friends. I use Dreamweaver for production sites.

Go for it Hubbleman, programming is fun :party:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Like 420, I've been a programmer since tape and punchcards. (I just recently sold my Texas Instrument TI-994/a) LOL.

HTML is definitely not my specialty but I recently did a project with a Raspberry Pi where I needed to interface via html, php, python and sql.

I can't tell you how many times I referred to this site during the learning curve.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Here is what mine ended up looking like. I'm really pleased with the RPi. I have 2. One in each room and I really like them for monitoring.

I can click on the pic of either room and it takes me to the stats for that room. The html is a little clumsy but, like I said, it's not my specialty. LOL

attachment.php

RB56

Veteran
So is it ok if I design my web app on my windows PC and then get a web host?
Each Web host is different, uses different software and makes different tools available. The very first thing you want to do is decide what version of which tools you will use. MySQL/PHP means you're producing a DB backed dynamic site (or your waiting your time). Are you proficient in PHP and SQL?

Hubbleman

Veteran
I am making a database based website, where people can store info and search and retrieve info

My original idea was to use dreamwraver with C# ASP.NET
I was told against it because apparently not all servers support it. Where’s php is widely accepted.

I know little about php but I did lots of database and sql stuff in uni. I actually bought a book on php a week ago and it’s supposed to be released and arrive next week!!

So yea, hopefully I can make it! Oh and big thank you to all who replied!!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Way to go..

Way to go..

When I started using PHP/MySQL for websites I bought a tutorial book which showed how to integrate two.

It helped a lot. Once you get used to it, it's as easy as "C"..Hehe

Good Luck :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts