What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spring gamble

PDX Dopesmoker

We had a nice looking weather forecast a few days ago so I soaked 20 seeds (10 of purple and 10 of diesel) and saw 19 tails this morning so I planted them with some snow peas in some containers on my roof. Depending on how the spring goes and how the seeds do, I might dep them if they're big enough after the peas are done producing, which is usually towards the end of May.
Stay tuned to this virtual space for possible photos of dirt or maybe even sprouts in the near future.

redlaser

Veteran
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Should produce something unless a hard freeze is still possible. Bet they could handle 27-28 degrees, for sure with a little blankie overnight.

Should be flowering from the time of planting due to short days it seems. I’ve got a group of various heights going out 4/1 for sixty days to get free 12/12 lighting, might need to dep them for the last week or two to insure flower.

PDX Dopesmoker

Heres what it looks like so far
BKVQLXY.jpg

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I planted 42 freshly germinated seeds into quart pots of soil in my half assed non heated or sealed greenhouse last year on march 23rd and it snowed that night and the next day/night, was surprised I only lost 1 seed.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I just put out some seed to see what happens. I made a bunch of seeds of a cross last year and have more than I’ll ever get around to planting so I decided to do an experiment. We’re still cold here, can get frosts till early May (snowed night before last).

Occasionally I get volunteers come up in my outdoor patches where I’ve done some pollinations. I cull them as I don’t know what they are and there may be a chance they’re from a hermie. I planted 20 of those seeds in a pot and put them on the patio to see if any, or how many come up. Still have a month and a half of cold but hopefully they sprout when the conditions are right.

Good luck with your venture pdx.

PDX Dopesmoker

I always wait until April, good luck.

Last year I waited until May for the seeds I had survival concerns about. Spring in western Oregon seems to come pretty late most years, so hopefully some brutal outdoor conditions come along and weed out any weaklings in this batch, cause I got a bunch of sprouts now and enough seed of both kinds remaining that I'd be much obliged to the Thor, Zeus and the rest of the weather gods if they'd do me the favor of killing the sissies before they get a chance to reproduce.
8 of purple and 9 of diesel have come up so far.
f1h3o8m.jpg

b2H9BFh.jpg

Wm9EMwv.jpg

SRWqjfD.jpg

9llSt6e.jpg

Dankwolf

Last year I waited until May for the seeds I had survival concerns about. Spring in western Oregon seems to come pretty late most years, so hopefully some brutal outdoor conditions come along and weed out any weaklings in this batch, cause I got a bunch of sprouts now and enough seed of both kinds remaining that I'd be much obliged to the Thor, Zeus and the rest of the weather gods if they'd do me the favor of killing the sissies before they get a chance to reproduce.
8 of purple and 9 of diesel have come up so far.
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
The out door fever is full on now thanks pdx. Ok well it was biting at me for the last two weeks . that time of year again .

Dankwolf

Are you going with even wider containers this year or do you think you maxed out the useful size for an individual plant?

Hard to answer . I believe the width could,be expanded but depth is maxed out (can't remember width ) . potters are 11 yards each . I can say with 100% accuracy I would go wider and shallower( if it was,worth it) . if any were to replicate and mix a big plant grow with amended organic soil i woyld say width is more important then depth by a long shot .

My roots on a 15ftx15 ft tall plant had significant lack of roots past 24" inches . also plants will easily grow. 5-10 ft tall per ft of depth from what I can see up,to 24-30 inches soil. The soil consistancy plays a small role as far as,I am concerned.

The big deal seems to be plant width . the plants have constantly stayed with in potter diameter almost like a glass wall ( VARY IMPORTAN... TOPING/ TRIANING OR NOT). yes you can grow beyond potter but you would be better off using potters of the width you want there for preventing slowed growth due to toping/training . yes toping/trianing may only slow a,plant for days or a week but when you consider a week can be a ft of growth all the way around a 10 ft round plant you are talking serious gain in sq ft of flowers .

Any way many should benefit from this . and I hope it answer your big plant question ? :tiphat:

Some may ask and dispute/ disagree with what I have said and to those people I say I am talking big plants . these are my decent size plants. (Not huge) in veg mind you .basically I am not talking your average smart pot 8 footer.

picture.php

This is not to brag . just to show scale to those that may be confused about 11 yard potters and large plants . :biggrin:

PDX Dopesmoker

Hard to answer . I believe the width could,be expanded but depth is maxed out (can't remember width ) . potters are 11 yards each . I can say with 100% accuracy I would go wider and shallower( if it was,worth it) . if any were to replicate and mix a big plant grow with amended organic soil i woyld say width is more important then depth by a long shot .

My roots on a 15ftx15 ft tall plant had significant lack of roots past 24" inches . also plants will easily grow. 5-10 ft tall per ft of depth from what I can see up,to 24-30 inches soil. The soil consistancy plays a small role as far as,I am concerned.

The big deal seems to be plant width . the plants have constantly stayed with in potter diameter almost like a glass wall ( VARY IMPORTAN... TOPING/ TRIANING OR NOT). yes you can grow beyond potter but you would be better off using potters of the width you want there for preventing slowed growth due to toping/training . yes toping/trianing may only slow a,plant for days or a week but when you consider a week can be a ft of growth all the way around a 10 ft round plant you are talking serious gain in sq ft of flowers .

Any way many should benefit from this . and I hope it answer your big plant question ? :tiphat:

Some may ask and dispute/ disagree with what I have said and to those people I say I am talking big plants . these are my decent size plants. (Not huge) in veg mind you .basically I am not talking your average smart pot 8 footer.

View Image

This is not to brag . just to show scale to those that may be confused about 11 yard potters and large plants . :biggrin:

In the first issue of Grow Magazine theres a story about Honeybee Farms (I might have that name not quite right) in Southern Oregon who were claiming the biggest plants at the time, I believe 10 kilos of dry bud off of one plant was their record and they were growing in a two tiered raised bed of about 2000gal total if I'm remembering it all correctly. I think Kangativa on this site has the record for the tallest at 23'. You're competitive in both stats so I've been watching your threads pretty keenly the past few years, thats why I was asking about the wider pots. If I'm remembering everything right yours containers were about 14' diameter last year and 11' the year before, but taller and your wife smokes bud like a marijuana powered steam engine which is why you have to grow them so big.

Dankwolf

This can't be for personal use.
:laughing: what is wrong with people . its like that movie idiocracy . I think they are on the electrolites lol

Really . good luck around ic mag . do you carry your whistle around your neck or in your pocket lol. At least we know yoyr willing to blow :tiphat:

Yup just called you out . kind of a dushbag thing to say . maybe there are family and health situations that you don't know about ? Or I guess you know my hole family and all the help this medicine does to inprove life for me and my family .any way blow away
:tiphat:

Many people,smoke,a 1/2 oz to a 1 oz a day instead of taking a bunch of opiates . but guess your one of these that are cool with a oxy every hour or some fentanyl instead of a plant . you got me heated .

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR OWN USE AND LEARN IF YOUR GOING TO BE A MEMBER HERE . LEARNING AND SHAREING GROW TECH IS WHATS THIS SITE IS ABOUT .THIS SITE IS,NOT ABOUT OTHER,MEMBERS CONSUMPTION AND WHAT OTHERS THINK .

caliprop215

Veteran
:laughing: what is wrong with people . its like that movie idiocracy . I think they are on the electrolites lol

Really . good luck around ic mag . do you carry your whistle around your neck or in your pocket lol. At least we know yoyr willing to blow :tiphat:

Yup just called you out . kind of a dushbag thing to say . maybe there are family and health situations that you don't know about ? Or I guess you know my hole family and all the help this medicine does to inprove life for me and my family .any way blow away
:tiphat:

Many people,smoke,a 1/2 oz to a 1 oz a day instead of taking a bunch of opiates . but guess your one of these that are cool with a oxy every hour or some fentanyl instead of a plant . you got me heated .

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR OWN USE AND LEARN IF YOUR GOING TO BE A MEMBER HERE . LEARNING AND SHAREING GROW TECH IS WHATS THIS SITE IS ABOUT .THIS SITE IS,NOT ABOUT OTHER,MEMBERS CONSUMPTION AND WHAT OTHERS THINK .

Good explanation dank.... people love to judge for some reason.

And lmao 4 plants isn't for personal use hahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahah go talk to people who are doing acres of plants . Now that's commercial

Who cares if u smoke a zip a day or if u smoke a joint a day.

I grow weed to make topical creams and tinctures and edibles so my mother doesnt suffer from psoriasis .it doesnt take it away but helps 50 percent of it to go away. Which is alot if u have psoriasis.

People leave lame comments to your self. Whether u smoke weed meth or crack who the hell are u to judge anyone.

That's God's job not yours.