What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any chance of Harvesting a pure 20-24 week Sativa at 45 degree?

romanoweed

here we go, example in this video is from 48 degree, so quiet representable.. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcWGmznjQc put video oh hd, so you can read the Monthly nametags showing the change over the year.

Thats what also gives me a certain minimum distance for Mirrors, alltho its not so bad if sun gets to far to the side, cause it are double-sided Mirrors. But i try to get that sweep

romanoweed

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
romanoweed... you're obviously a smart person.

Your biggest obstacle is that all the thinking and data you have put into this idea will NOT be able to overcome a 20 week sativa's genetic programming that comes from adaptation to growing near the equator for the last 20 million years.

Either build a light deprivation greenhouse, or use genetic stock that WILL finish before your climate's weather kills it off.

Really... you have a lot of tenacity, but it's misdirected.

You can't magically make your latitude agreeable to a true 20 week sativa, unless you cross it with something that will finish earlier and work carefully over the course of generations to get the traits you desire and stabilize it into working stock.

Seriously... a highland sativa like Nepalese Jamaican is the way to go. It's stanky, sticky and the high is like hash. Really trippy and wonderful for growing away from the equator.

Data and smarts also aren't more valuable than hard=earned experience, either.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
romanoweed... you're obviously a smart person.

Your biggest obstacle is that all the thinking and data you have put into this idea will NOT be able to overcome a 20 week sativa's genetic programming that comes from adaptation to growing near the equator for the last 20 million years.

Either build a light deprivation greenhouse, or use genetic stock that WILL finish before your climate's weather kills it off.

Really... you have a lot of tenacity, but it's misdirected.

You can't magically make your latitude agreeable to a true 20 week sativa, unless you cross it with something that will finish earlier and work carefully over the course of generations to get the traits you desire and stabilize it into working stock.

Seriously... a highland sativa like Nepalese Jamaican is the way to go. It's stanky, sticky and the high is like hash. Really trippy and wonderful for growing away from the equator.

Data and smarts also aren't more valuable than hard=earned experience, either.

What a discouraging, and incorrect, post

As I posted, I've been growing pure and hybridized sativas here at 47degN for 5 years. It sure can be done.
Worst case scenario, they are pulled early but he gets to experience the essence of the line, maybe even pollinate her for shorter flowering the next year. Or, shit, even make another F-gen of the pure sativa so it naturally acclimates to his region.
Saying that sativas have been growing at the equator for millennia shows how little you understand about genetics.
Please be more constructive in your contributions

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thanx for the tipps, and the pics you showed. They give me a certain hope what we can achieve even here in North. Nice , even i have to add, i still have to see someone staying he smoked the rocketfuel stuff grown at 45 degree.. but looking good (atleast in my Sativaloving eye) and surviving they did..
Hey roman ,
firstly i think you should visit the tropics , just to get an idea of the climate vs yours ,
even in full summer , you ll find your sun is nothing like the strength of the tropical sun ,

i tried growing tropical sativa when i was younger ,
at around 38 degrees south ,
what i produced was a far cry from what i got the seeds from , (imported thai stick) , most certainly not tripping weed by any ones standards ...

i dont mean to discourage you at all ,, in fact i think it would be great to see you grow some sativa outdoors where you live , and hopefully you are happy with what it produces ,
but dont expect it to be like it is when grown in its natural habitat..

in all honesty i think you would do better indoors as far as the finished product goes..

also something to consider ,
there is no 20 -24 week flowering plants growing in the tropics ,
they never flower that long , that is pretty much from seed to full maturity that time frame if you were growing in the tropics at the right time of year ...

the longest flowering plants i have grown in the tropics are around 16 weeks flowering , Laos , Thai , and Zamal ..

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Honestly, you can't expect to grow something exactly as it was originally acclimatized to it's native environment. You just can't duplicate the Kush mountain range in Pakistan. But we can get "close enough".

This is a Swazi I grew last year. I even put it in *very late (july15th) . I pulled it after a few freezing nights end of november(?). The bud might not make the cover of High Times, but so what. It was a great smoke no one else had, and you certainly can't get anything close to it in a dispensary. That's a pipe dream. ;)

picture.php

Here's one I have this year (August 4th).
picture.php

I put a bit of effort in it. But it went in late. It was a straggler in my garage and I was going to kill it, but I stuck it in the ground next to a shed instead 2nd week of June.

Again, the bud isn't going to grace the cover of any magazine, but too fucking bad. I'm growing it for me and the THCV it contains. :tiphat:

So... ya.. you can grow them up north.

Hey roman ,
firstly i think you should visit the tropics , just to get an idea of the climate vs yours ,
even in full summer , you ll find your sun is nothing like the strength of the tropical sun ,
I also have Honduran Landrace seeds I picked up when I went there a couple years ago. Had a bitch of a time to get them to grow past a 2 inch seedling. I ended up researching the soil conditions, and from what it was like that I could remember, and... Eureka! I also made sure they're growing in a similar environment (my bog/swamp stays wetter than normal "good" soil after a rain). I'll post pictures of them this weekend. But like the Swazi, they're slow to start flowering.

What a discouraging, and incorrect, post

As I posted, I've been growing pure and hybridized sativas here at 47degN for 5 years. It sure can be done.
Worst case scenario, they are pulled early but he gets to experience the essence of the line, maybe even pollinate her for shorter flowering the next year. Or, shit, even make another F-gen of the pure sativa so it naturally acclimates to his region.
Saying that sativas have been growing at the equator for millennia shows how little you understand about genetics.
Please be more constructive in your contributions
Bingo.
Troutman also does that up in Sudbury for fuck sakes! lol. He's breeding for early strains. His avatar screams determination. :biggrin:

funkyhorse

Ce faci Romano?

The plants we seem to like are all tropical rainforest varieties
I did some experiments last summer.
I took outdoors at the autumm equinox a sativa that was flowering indoors for 35 days in 0,5 liters and they were 1,50- 1,80 meters high in that tiny pot. It took them two extra weeks to finnish than the ones indoors but the finnished product grown this way were the same quality

I put a 125 flowering days sativa in the forest in the wild to see what happens. She cared for herself and loved it in the forest. I cut her at the beginning of june when it wasnt ready yet but it was starting to get real cold with nights at 4C with frost in the mornings. I let her low flowers to see if she can survive the winter and reveg and I still see green so she might be able to do it.
My latitude would compare to Adelaide. As Donald Mallard said, this south Punto Rojo type plants cant finnish in the wild.

I think microclimate is very important. I want to grow Original Haze outdoors and here would only finnish in an artificial setup, so it is a challenge.
I can recreate the rainforest, but the right sun and climate is more difficult to recreate
Northern hemisphere sun and southern one is not the same at all. The sun at the southern pole hurts big time. At up to latitude 30S and even northern than that you need solar protectors, sunglasses and bandanas/hats and long sleeve shirts to protect yourself from the sun. You can see this link: https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/ozone_record.html
For humans this southern sun is dangerous but plants seem to love it.

I want to try this, this grower is north of all of you in Sask:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354157

This is the golden arm, you can do it yourself like the second picture of first post in the linked thread above shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEufre2RBE0

I think if you live in a humid area, you can recreate artificial rainforest conditions
Using greenhouse light deprivation and growing a Laos or Zamal between middle november to middle/end february in Southern Hemisphere or middle may to middle/end august in the north would be the best and closest you can do to recreate equatorial sun angle

How can you keep these greenhouses cool below 30C in mid summer with cheap 20th century technology, any ideas?

Maha Kala says here that if grown under different environments, you get different tastes:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8647970&postcount=2817

I am after quality of high, after the three toke ganja of the 20th century. I wonder if you get the same high if grown under different setups and only organoleptic properties change

romanoweed

Hy Donald Mallard

Im happy with the Facts, and i wana know how they are exact, so just tell what your Experiences are! I was ever thinking it wont be the same . I wanna know your more exact observations , so thank you for saying first Hand thaistick-seeds wasnt very nice to grow at 38 degree. Probably there are certain equatorial Strain-lines, wich would still perform better. Did you try that with many Thaistick s? Pinkus stated the same.

One easy solution for getting more Light to plants would be just to Combine outdoor-sunlight-Plants with some extra-Lamps! Actually, if not growing Guerilla it should be one of the easy Solutions. Just give them some 30 Percent Light extra, so you have the natural Full-spectrum Richness in Lighting, but also the Strenght from your extra-indoor Light. If i would have an own House i shure would doo that... Cause i dont really not wanna run around for 4 months straight for Lightdeprivation ... Only if i could store Buds very Long, and i have easy laws so i could do that all 5 years with a biiiig grow, and have 4 summers for myselve, but i doubt Buds are same strong after couple years...

Tychomonoloth: please post more of your freaky Projects, its interesting, i wanna see Results, thanx, please more Close up Pics from the Swazi... how would you rate the smoke from the Swazi 1 to 10?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hy Donald Mallard

Im happy with the Facts, and i wana know how they are exact, so just tell what your Experiences are! I was ever thinking it wont be the same . I wanna know your more exact observations , so thank you for saying first Hand thaistick-seeds wasnt very nice to grow at 38 degree. Probably there are certain equatorial Strain-lines, wich would still perform better. Did you try that with many Thaistick s? Pinkus stated the same.

One easy solution for getting more Light to plants would be just to Combine outdoor-sunlight-Plants with some extra-Lamps! Actually, if not growing Guerilla it should be one of the easy Solutions. Just give them some 30 Percent Light extra, so you have the natural Full-spectrum Richness in Lighting, but also the Strenght from your extra-indoor Light. If i would have an own House i shure would doo that... Cause i dont really not wanna run around for 4 months straight for Lightdeprivation ... Only if i could store Buds very Long, and i have easy laws so i could do that all 5 years with a biiiig grow, and have 4 summers for myselve, but i doubt Buds are same strong after couple years...

Tychomonoloth: please post more of your freaky Projects, its interesting, i wanna see Results, thanx, please more Close up Pics from the Swazi... how would you rate the smoke from the Swazi 1 to 10?
I'll get pics this weekend. I like the Swazi and it's a little trippy for me. But I'm not the smoker in the house. The wife loves to blend it with NL. She says it's a better long lasting high. My buddy won't touch it. It scared the shit out of him. Joint hog deserved it. Lol

romanoweed

One could actually use solar pannels for Guerilla, put some Indor light on, use a brightness-sensor aimed at the suroounding light. So your lights will never glow to strong at say November Evening and someone could see it. Actually the incoming sun would automatically regulate the lightintensity, by beeing stronger or weaker, and acording to it the Indoorlamps would become stronger or weaker, and just packing some 30 Percent Light on Top.. But i dont kow if Solar is actually Battery feed, cause then i would Need the lightsensor aimed at Surrounding to regulate it accordingly. Would just be more easy otherway (no battery).... I dont want a complicated Guerilla Setup

Tycho verify flowering time of Swazi, even only 14 weeks tell, probably better than no Info regarding equatorial longflower sativa

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
One could actually use solar pannels for Guerilla, put some Indor light on, use a brightness-sensor aimed at the suroounding light. So your lights will never glow to strong at say November Evening and someone could see it. Actually the incoming sun would automatically regulate the lightintensity, by beeing stronger or weaker, and acording to it the Indoorlamps would become stronger or weaker, and just packing some 30 Percent Light on Top.. But i dont kow if Solar is actually Battery feed, cause then i would Need the lightsensor aimed at Surrounding to regulate it accordingly. Would just be more easy otherway (no battery).... I dont want a complicated Guerilla Setup

Tycho verify flowering time of Swazi, even only 14 weeks tell, probably better than no Info regarding equatorial longflower sativa
The amount of light at that time of year is not THE issue. The weather is. For example, the Swazi start flowering at the end of August. I harvested this one on October 30th because they froze hard twice.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That was only 8 weeks. As you can see in the middle picture, there was a lot of growing to do between the nodes and should have gone about 12 weeks. The buds can take freezing temperatures, but the fan leaves take a beating. There was snow on the ground. I'm doing it again this year because we get the odd year of warm weather until christmas. But humidity is always 100% by then, and you can't get away from that.

But light does play a role in it. Don't build a rig to keep light on them when it's dark. Too much daylight early on is the biggest issue. Light Deprivation is needed starting at the very latest August 1st, and stopping at the end of August. So you have a lot of work covering and uncovering the plants every single day for 30 days. And you'll need a huge frame because these bitches are super tall. It's the only way to give them a head start flowering.
This one is 10-11 feet tall and was topped once.
picture.php

I have a friend who grows them indoor. They do really well in small pots and it's way less work.

romanoweed

hey Tychomonoloth
i dont wanna put light on them when its dark. i think i actually said i wanna intensify the light by combining Indoorlights in outdoor Setup. i would let the ligts shinge during day, while normal times to intensify lighting, not to strech daylenght... if i did then they wouldnt flower at all .. haha

But atleast in case of se asian sativa, they are frost resistant in couple cases.. heard that couple times. I had some supposedly 14 weeker Thais snowed in this spring... a lower leafe became Brown but basically the Plant survived most part(most leafes).. sometimes the asians might astonish you in that case...

And then Budrot is quiet no Problem at all for Thais. This is different for some Africans, or Southamericans, atleast i never heard about this two Resistences.. Thais are good predators i think i remember... Se Asians probably have the couldnessresitency from their anchestors.The most common Theory is that they deriver from Chinese or Nepalese Strains.. And arent surviving feral(semiwild) where they are now. They arent from the South. Where the Africans are said to have Ancestors from Afghanistan, Pakistan, from where they wouldnt carry so much Couldresistency, or Moldresitency-Genes.. This Genotypical Traits may be the Reason for that, in my Theory.. Its still never shure, but possible they survive it.. In your case only every 10 leaf seems dead, or missfunctioning Brown.. probably they would produced still more

Last edited:

romanoweed

Im looking if its possible running Photovoltaric without battery.. : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photovoltaric+without+battery
This way i just put some lights on it, probably need a Transformator from 12V to normal Volt, and plugin Indoorlamps. Have to look if there are even good 12 Volt Lamps, would be the easiest.. dont know, but for old Bycicle-lamps atleast its possible to have varying Power, and the Light runs..

I just would want a self-dimming Solar-Lamp-System , so i could install it even Guerilla and nobody would be atracted by insane strong lights.. cause its never would exceed the brightness of the Sun very far ( invisibility reasons)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't think it's worth it unless you live in a place that is constantly cloudy. Keep in mind that they still get UV rays under cloud cover. In fact, under PARTLY cloudy skies, you'll get higher UV levels – higher than a completely clear sky would give you.

If you want to try something, try a fresnel lens. (hint; you want one that does not focus light too strongly or else. lol)
[iframe1]xExXjXm0YV0[/iframe1]

Latest posts

Latest posts