What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Acapulco-Swazi-Oaxaca-Panama-Santeria-Alebrije-Kapala-Grinspoon-First Light

bman707

About the strength of some landrace conversation earlier: my Panama Red looked beautiful after 12 weeks but turned out to be weak re: thc. I've heard some pro's say they won't grow it because modern expectstions, tastes and THC content are different than those of say, the 70's and that cultivated landrace as opposed to the naturally occurring hybrid, is both different and weaker in THC. Interesting concepts, though I'll still try the Alcapulco like you, going for the gold. B.

Miasa Mura

How do you germinate? Your seedlings look amazing. I'll begin germinating in April for potentially getting some outdoors in mid May here in New England, only a possibility that early. Do you use a specific starting medium? Thanks.

Hey bman707!
Thank you for the compliment.
I start by putting my seed on a wet paper towel, folding the paper towel over the seed and placing the wet paper towel with the seeds inside of a plastic bag. Leaving the bag opened, I put the bag under a empty pot in my veg room so the temperature is around 65 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the plants are germinated, I place the seeds into 4 inch pots filled with Black Gold: Seedling Mix. After three weeks I feed with Earth Juice Grow and General Organics Cal-Mag.
Best of luck with your outdoor!:thank you::clover:

Miasa Mura

About the strength of some landrace conversation earlier: my Panama Red looked beautiful after 12 weeks but turned out to be weak re: thc. I've heard some pro's say they won't grow it because modern expectstions, tastes and THC content are different than those of say, the 70's and that cultivated landrace as opposed to the naturally occurring hybrid, is both different and weaker in THC. Interesting concepts, though I'll still try the Alcapulco like you, going for the gold. B.

I too find that most landraces don’t have as much potency as the modern wedding cakes and OG hybrids, but find that the landraces hold such value with grew patterns, flavors, smells and effects that can be selected out and enhanced.ACE seeds has a Malawi that test with a really high THC, and is advertised as one of their most psychoactive varieties.

As for the Acapulco Gold, I really like a lot of the qualities it has. The red stem, the speed of growth (one of if not the fastest growing plants) and structure of the flower all appeal to me.

The Panama Red had much more scent than the Acapulco Gold did, which was a piney-Jack Herer, Snowcap, Durban Poison smell. I felt that the Panama Red has more noticeable head effect, not as much as modern hybrids, but more than many other landraces I’ve grown (Though it wasn’t lab tested).

Hope you’re Gold grow is some fire pheno friend!:smokeit:

bman707

My Panama Red

My Panama Red

Hey Miasa :)
I hope your day has been going well. Here are some pics from my first grow in 2017, the Panama Red/Punta Roho/one other landrace cross seed, I forget the name of the seed bank but it was the only Panama Red I saw then. Sorry to say, it was all ruined by my drying it too quickly and locking in moisture. As I saw someone else here say: My success [none yet] has been paved with the bricks of my failures." I haven't gotten it after 6 times, 2 solid years trying, one learning lesson after the other, despite local "advice" (I live in the Golden Triangle of the East but now understand to only go to a pro)" but this will be lucky 7, Cinderella 99, and I'm hopeful. Thanks for the advice with the seedings for the outdoor - Blue Cheese, Sour Diesel, a cbd strain, and 3 others I can't immediately recall.
I too hope your grow goes wonderfully, my friend. and that these pics are representative of what you are going to be using down the line. Thank you, I really appreciate the communication. :biggrin:

Miasa Mura

I hope your day has been going well. Here are some pics from my first grow in 2017, the Panama Red/Punta Roho/one other landrace cross seed, I forget the name of the seed bank but it was the only Panama Red I saw then. Sorry to say, it was all ruined by my drying it too quickly and locking in moisture. As I saw someone else here say: My success [none yet] has been paved with the bricks of my failures." I haven't gotten it after 6 times, 2 solid years trying, one learning lesson after the other, despite local "advice" (I live in the Golden Triangle of the East but now understand to only go to a pro)" but this will be lucky 7, Cinderella 99, and I'm hopeful. Thanks for the advice with the seedings for the outdoor - Blue Cheese, Sour Diesel, a cbd strain, and 3 others I can't immediately recall.
I too hope your grow goes wonderfully, my friend. and that these pics are representative of what you are going to be using down the line. Thank you, I really appreciate the communication. :biggrin:[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932581&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932580&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932582&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Hey bman707!
Those pictures look nice, good job.
Curing/aging is the other half of growing :) Successive or progressive curing is the way to go, from my experience.
Nice outdoor selection you chose, blue cheese I haven’t seen in a little while now.
Thanks for the support! Can’t wait to see what all these plants produce in the near future. Happy gardening!

Ruby_Abu

I too hope your grow goes wonderfully, my friend. and that these pics are representative of what you are going to be using down the line. Thank you, I really appreciate the communication. :biggrin:[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932581&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932580&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79788&pictureid=1932582&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Nice work. Which light you were using?

bman707

Hey bman707!
Those pictures look nice, good job.
Curing/aging is the other half of growing :) Successive or progressive curing is the way to go, from my experience.
Nice outdoor selection you chose, blue cheese I haven’t seen in a little while now.
Thanks for the support! Can’t wait to see what all these plants produce in the near future. Happy gardening!
Hey Miasa Thank you for the compliment. What do you mean by successive or progressive curing.? My last weak ( harvested too early despite digital microscope) but beautiful batch has now cured almost 5 months but If the THC isn't there it just smells better but still is pretty useless. The Panama batch I didn't know how to cure but 5 grows later I'm beginning to understand. BTW, we agree re: lower potency of some classic landrace but we still love them for many other good qualities.
I'm having a current leaf problem I just can't uderstand, I will post pics to see if you/ others might know. Thank you, enjoy the day, Om Shivaya.:tiphat:

bman707

leaf problem

leaf problem

Hey Miasa Thank you for the compliment. What do you mean by successive or progressive curing.? My last weak ( harvested too early despite digital microscope) but beautiful batch has now cured almost 5 months but If the THC isn't there it just smells better but still is pretty useless. The Panama batch I didn't know how to cure but 5 grows later I'm beginning to understand. BTW, we agree re: lower potency of some classic landrace but we still love them for many other good qualities.
I'm having a current leaf problem I just can't uderstand, I will post pics to see if you/ others might know. Thank you, enjoy the day, Om Shivaya.:tiphat:

My others don't have this problem, all have reccityeived the same light and nutrients, at first I thought it was heat stress but it started with the largest bottom fan leaves in a week moved up to mid regular leaves, it has been fed little as it grows in a comlete mix, Coast of Maine Platinum Mix and has been fed very little, just several times Roots Organics Grow, 1/3 strength, Liguid Karma, 1/2 strength, last on 3/9, and Kool Bloom, the latest and a toxicity possibility, 5 ml/gal. It could be the Kool Bloom, though all the plants got the same portion but no sign of problems. I'm leaning towards genetic root rot. Maisa, any help would be greatly appreciated.

bman707

Reviewing to try and solve, I do see over time the plant has received regular nuts that perhaps may have built up. I will test the ph of the runoff, a first for me, but as I watered yesterday (darn), much as I want to, it seems more prudent to wait a few days until things dry out. The problem is spreading more rapidly now (at night), I feel I need to do something or Ill lose the plant. But I need to figure out whether it's gotten too or is deficient. Thanks.

bman707

More clues

More clues

Hey Maisa, Sorry if I'm becoming a bother. Attached are pics from another plant that also has some curling fan leaves and large leaves that are acting weirdly. It's different than the sick plant, no rust color, most of the other fan leaves flattened out and are happy. I'm just looking towards the future hoping the first one isn't a predictor of what will happen with the rest. Thanks.

Miasa Mura

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79795&pictureid=1932692&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79795&pictureid=1932690&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79795&pictureid=1932691&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
My others don't have this problem, all have reccityeived the same light and nutrients, at first I thought it was heat stress but it started with the largest bottom fan leaves in a week moved up to mid regular leaves, it has been fed little as it grows in a comlete mix, Coast of Maine Platinum Mix and has been fed very little, just several times Roots Organics Grow, 1/3 strength, Liguid Karma, 1/2 strength, last on 3/9, and Kool Bloom, the latest and a toxicity possibility, 5 ml/gal. It could be the Kool Bloom, though all the plants got the same portion but no sign of problems. I'm leaning towards genetic root rot. Maisa, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey bman707!
You might try letting the soil get dry and then give it just water with proper PH for a feed or two. I had something similar happen with the Kapala because I was watering it too heavy. Aum Namah Shivaya!

Miasa Mura

Hey Maisa, Sorry if I'm becoming a bother. Attached are pics from another plant that also has some curling fan leaves and large leaves that are acting weirdly. It's different than the sick plant, no rust color, most of the other fan leaves flattened out and are happy. I'm just looking towards the future hoping the first one isn't a predictor of what will happen with the rest. Thanks.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79797&pictureid=1932716&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79797&pictureid=1932718&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79797&pictureid=1932717&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Hey bman707!
I would let all the plants dry out and then just give them some water with 6.5-7.5 ph. It’s tough to watch your plants become unhappy. The best thing to do is stay calm, put on some music that makes you happy and chill and spend some time just admiring your plants giving them co2 and love. Some of the most hurt looking plants in the beginning have become the champion of many of my harvest. Stay positive brotha!
Aum Namah Shivaya!

Miasa Mura

Hey bman707!
If you check out the link below, Soil Margin explains it really well in post #7.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360516
The real trick is being patient and waiting for the herb to cure before you smoke all the most appealing flowers :D

bman707

Thanks

Thanks

Hey bman707!
I would let all the plants dry out and then just give them some water with 6.5-7.5 ph. It’s tough to watch your plants become unhappy. The best thing to do is stay calm, put on some music that makes you happy and chill and spend some time just admiring your plants giving them co2 and love. Some of the most hurt looking plants in the beginning have become the champion of many of my harvest. Stay positive brotha!
Aum Namah Shivaya!
Thank you, Miasa, for the encouragement. It's nice here, I'll light one up and take in some Spring sun. Aum Namah Shivaya

bman707

water at 6.9ph

water at 6.9ph

Hey bman707!
You might try letting the soil get dry and then give it just water with proper PH for a feed or two. I had something similar happen with the Kapala because I was watering it too heavy. Aum Namah Shivaya!
Hey Miasa, I just tested the water and found it at 6.9ph. Should I still change it? Soil tested at 6.6, the only thing I haven't tested is the runoff. Thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts