What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sun Bleached Weed

Drewsif

I've thrown alot of weed out in the yard (dirty dispo shit), sometimes it turns a funky tan color, sometimes it turns rusty red.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The reason Colombian Gold was gold is because they used to ring the stalk and let the weed plant dry standing in the sun. Now I'm wondering if that would have been good smoke.

Has anyone ever tried weed bleached by nature like that? At worst it would have tasted like an old cigarette butt. But at best??

maybe they did ,
but ive seen plants turn golden without those extremes ,
a number of times ,
it can happen in nature with the right variety in the right locality ..

Del_9_THC

I thought "there's no way in hell Colombian Gold could be that gold."

Actually, it was very golden-coloured. Indeed, if you were in North America and smoking weed in the mid-70's, then most of the good weed was "gold", with a few exceptions like Thai stick (which would have been green or brownish weed), Hawaiian (very long very fluffy green buds), or some west-coast (BC or California) buds which were green, and perhaps, a few others. Gold weed was, by far, the biggest chunk of the market in those days.

Some kinds of Mexican weed was green (usually the lower grade), much of it was brown brick weed, and some varieties were golden coloured (Acapulco comes to mind).

Varieties like "Panama red" or "red point" weed was not actually red, at least when it got to North America.

Edit: I had to edit this post because I forgot about the good Jamaican ganja we also used to get.
That stuff was, more often than not, brown....but it was some good shit!

I don't like to refer to weed as "trippy" because, a weed high is never trippy like acid, but some of that Jamaican weed took me on some incredible rides.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
In William Burrough's book Junk he talks about growing in Brownsville, Texas when he was on the lam in the late 40s, early 50s. His family owned property there. No DEA or helicopters in those days you could grow an entire field.

He talks about trying to get his crop dried and cured to take back to New York. He bakes it in the oven to turn it yellow! No one would buy it if it wasn't brown bud. You can talk about the wonders of fermenting and golden buds but I'll bet 90% of the stuff back then was schwaggy shit.

This is also referenced in this wonderful Gene Marshall song from the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCEUaKcjP9Y

Cracks me up. He's talking about curing it in a pan to turn it into schwag. We've come a long way.

redlaser

Veteran
In William Burrough's book Junk he talks about growing in Brownsville, Texas when he was on the lam in the late 40s, early 50s. His family owned property there. No DEA or helicopters in those days you could grow an entire field.

He talks about trying to get his crop dried and cured to take back to New York. He bakes it in the oven to turn it yellow! No one would buy it if it wasn't brown bud. You can talk about the wonders of fermenting and golden buds but I'll bet 90% of the stuff back then was schwaggy shit.

This is also referenced in this wonderful Gene Marshall song from the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCEUaKcjP9Y

Cracks me up. He's talking about curing it in a pan to turn it into schwag. We've come a long way.

I wonder if it seemed stronger due to some decarbing taking place with heat, or even with some of the sun dried methods.

I have one cross I made that turns yellow after only a few weeks of drying, in an all dark room at 55-60% humidity and temp.

Several other seeds of that cross never turn yellow, and all have been run three times, same results. It’s a Jacks Cleaner2 x GG4.

therevverend

Veteran
I wonder if it seemed stronger due to some decarbing taking place with heat, or even with some of the sun dried methods.

Burroughs made it clear that the only reason he was baking it was for bag appeal. If it was green the consumers wouldn't accept it.It had nothing to do with strength or chemistry. It was the dark ages, Animal House has a good portrayal of cannabis use is the early 1960s.

I've also thought about decarboxylation and the idea of heating ganja, both to eat and for vaporizing. I know it's a part of making Simpson Oil, a buddy of mine has been playing around with it a bit. When we used to get bad import hashish we'd eat it straight because it had been decarboxylated in the pressing process.

I can only think you're losing terpenes and THC. From my experience quick drying in ovens, dehydrators and microwaves Burroughs method was making it weaker. It didn't matter back then you could sell lids of shake all day. People would smoke anything. Everyone smoked tobacco and they thought ganja had to go through a similar curing process.

You bring up strains that turn yellow, golden, after a longer cure. I've seen it come close in indoor strains but outdoor strains will give you golden colors. Reds, violets, pinks, purples. Depending on how you nitrogen starve them at the end and then how you cure. I used to get beautiful golden and red ganja in Mendocino. Very different then the 'fools gold' that aging and sundrying gives you.
This stuff had wonderful terpenes, very aromatic beautiful desert herb and fruit flavors. The grower was so good and he was old school. Always felt he had some Mexican in his lines because of the colors. He had wonderful purple stuff and he'd mix it all together. You'd have a pound of purple, gold, green, and red with fruity, skunky, and aromatic smells. I miss those days and it was only 15 years ago.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I know there's a chemical process during the fermentation and aging (as happens with all fermented foods). THC is increased at the expense of other cannabinoids. Especially CBGA which is a precursor to THC. So the increased THC makes sense.

Here's a lab report of a Malawi Cob and flower from the same plant.

Flower: (21.01 thc)
picture.php

Cob (27.01 thc)
picture.php

(Source: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8202570&postcount=2295)

redlaser

Veteran
Burroughs made it clear that the only reason he was baking it was for bag appeal. If it was green the consumers wouldn't accept it.It had nothing to do with strength or chemistry. It was the dark ages, Animal House has a good portrayal of cannabis use is the early 1960s.

I've also thought about decarboxylation and the idea of heating ganja, both to eat and for vaporizing. I know it's a part of making Simpson Oil, a buddy of mine has been playing around with it a bit. When we used to get bad import hashish we'd eat it straight because it had been decarboxylated in the pressing process.

I can only think you're losing terpenes and THC. From my experience quick drying in ovens, dehydrators and microwaves Burroughs method was making it weaker. It didn't matter back then you could sell lids of shake all day. People would smoke anything. Everyone smoked tobacco and they thought ganja had to go through a similar curing process.

You bring up strains that turn yellow, golden, after a longer cure. I've seen it come close in indoor strains but outdoor strains will give you golden colors. Reds, violets, pinks, purples. Depending on how you nitrogen starve them at the end and then how you cure. I used to get beautiful golden and red ganja in Mendocino. Very different then the 'fools gold' that aging and sundrying gives you.
This stuff had wonderful terpenes, very aromatic beautiful desert herb and fruit flavors. The grower was so good and he was old school. Always felt he had some Mexican in his lines because of the colors. He had wonderful purple stuff and he'd mix it all together. You'd have a pound of purple, gold, green, and red with fruity, skunky, and aromatic smells. I miss those days and it was only 15 years ago.

I can remember when I started smoking green was called homegrown and looked down upon. Usually for good reason but not always. 1979

Compressed imports were occasionally dark green and once in a while brighter greens. Always figured tan stuff was either sun dried or older.

If you’ve never decarbed for edibles you are in for a treat. I decarb pucks from rosin pressing at 220 for 25 minutes, soak in coconut oil at low temp for a few hours. Some lethal shit, half a bb sized piece is more than enough for me.
Weed to coco ratio is 1 weed/2 coco, could always use more, lots of water, then pouring boiling water on the squeezed coco/weed puck, while puck is still in potato ricer. Poke puck with fork and resqueeze.

I know you can get different colors out of a plant through nutrition/starving them. This one I have doesn’t turn yellow from that.

It’s green up until the last month of flowering, then the flowers start to slowly yellow until they are cut down. It’s not a 100% yellowing, about 50%, but it’s not just the larger leaves, everything that was once green.

Then it continues to yellow while drying, finishes more of gold color after about a month. Only plant out of sixty grown the same way, three times now. Jacks Cleaner is kind of yellow, smells exactly like it. The glue adds heavier trich coverage, though JC is no slouch.

Latest posts

Latest posts