What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powdery Mildew - Large scale Greenhouse

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Peracetic acid (also known as peroxyacetic acid, or PAA) is a mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, specifically it is an acid chemically formed from those two acids.

While biological, natural, human safe are all important for food production I am not sure spraying plants with acid is such a great idea. Care must be taken at a minimum to ensure a minimal dosage is used to prevent plant damage. I have witnessed first hand the damage hydrogen peroxide sprayed at too high of a concentration can do.

There are enough methods for powdery mildew prevention you may not have to resort to spraying some purchased chemicals.

M

Mountain Kine

PAA is in zerotol 2.0. Zerotol is meant to be sprayed on fruits and vegetables. As well as chemigated, and used for cleaning. George Cervantes suggests a hydrogen peroxide bath for post harvest remediation of PM affected cannabis branches as a dip and rinse.

My only hesitation would be the interaction between the organic peroxide and the oil glands. But I'm not chemist.

the 2.0 just represents 2% PAA concentration. I use a 15% starting solution and much less per gallon to reach the target concentration of PAA

I think people are confused and assuming that its being applied in a raw form.

It's diluted at a rate of 1-2L per 2500 gallons to sanitize wet wall pads, 5mL per gallon of water for fungal suppression

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
IT leaves no residue so not really sure why you keep bringing up the eaten vs smoked factor. I'd be much more concerned with things passing in to the liver but that's just me.

Is absolutely used in production as well as post process and cleaning.

:tiphat:

So you're more concerned what passes to your liver than what goes straight to your lungs or brain.Not everything that is in it,is also on the label, so you don't know what kind of residue you'll have on your plants.
Btw where is the literature that PAA is allowed to use on Cannabis plants during flowering?

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hydrogen Dioxide:............................27.1%
Peroxyacetic Acid:..............................2.0%
OTHER INGREDIENTS:......................70.9%

What are those 70%?
Partly:
HEDP
octanoic acid
peroxyoctanoid acid

No residues?

Residues of POAA and hydrogen peroxide in ground peas treated with a commercial POAA-based wash solution (200 ppm, 6 h contact time, 70-75ºF (21-24ºC)) were detected to drop to as low as 3.28 ppm and 3.71 ppm, respectively. Similarly, residues of POAA and hydrogen peroxide in ground tomatoes exposed to similar treatment were detected to drop to as low as 9.18 ppm and 2.49 ppm, respectively

Look at what that shit does to American workers:
https://theintercept.com/2018/07/19/moroni-utah-turkey-farm-workers-norbest/

Now, i wish you "Bon appetit" for next time you eat chicken:hotbounce

M

Mountain Kine

So you're more concerned what passes to your liver than what goes straight to your lungs or brain.Not everything that is in it,is also on the label, so you don't know what kind of residue you'll have on your plants.
Btw where is the literature that PAA is allowed to use on Cannabis plants during flowering?

It's FIFRA 25b exempt so it is OK to use it also has a broad enough label that you could also file a CDFA appeal to get it included in to the allowable list.

Legal cannabis is a new thing so there is little to not literature out there from companies providing these products on their interactions with cannabis, but considering that it is a C3 plant that is very similar to chili pepper in metabolism it isn't too far of an assumption to say if it's good for vegetables then it's also good to use on cannabis.

Most cannabis is combusted at temperatures that would off gas the H2O2 / acetic acid / water that makes up PAA.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The other 70% is water.

That is not true. There is also the stuff i listed. Just so you know,some of the surfactant used in commercial formulation of paa does leave a oily residue. If your buds are used for concentrates, you also concentrate all the shit you spray on your plants.

there is little to not literature out there from companies providing these products on their interactions with cannabis
And yet you use that...safety first ain't your motto i guess?
it is a C3 plant that is very similar to chili pepper in metabolism
i din't knew pepper plant were bearing trichomes or were smoked! :laughing:

As i've said before:
There's no need for such products when you grow cannabis. If ever you do have to need to use such product, then you're doing it wrong (growing cannabis).Period.

I'm afraid you guys will use any arguments possible to justify your irresponsible comportment. With peeps like you, we don't need big tobacco/alcohol/pharma to screw-up cannabis reputation as a safe medicine...

Last edited:
M

Mountain Kine

That is not true. There is also the stuff i listed. Just so you know,some of the surfactant used in commercial formulation of paa does leave a oily residue. If your buds are used for concentrates, you also concentrate all the shit you spray on your plants.

And yet you use that...safety first ain't your motto i guess?

i din't knew pepper plant were bearing trichomes or were smoked! :laughing:

As i've said before:

Pepper plants, tomato plants, cannabis plants...they all have resin glands. You just keep showing your infantile grasp of plant physiology.

No commercial PAA preparation I have come across has its own surfactant built in.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go ahead, educate me...especially about how the same type of capitate glandular trichomes can not be found on tomato/pepper mature fruits, or how people do smoke tomato leaves or pepper stems...:)

No commercial PAA preparation I have come across has its own surfactant built in.
Are you sure of that? I doubt it...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Its interesting to see the discussion about whether spraying something does in fact leave something behind or not.

Luckily it requires no discussion at all to see how spraying nothing in fact leaves no residue.

M

Mountain Kine

Go ahead, educate me...especially about how the same type of capitate glandular trichomes can not be found on tomato/pepper mature fruits, or how people do smoke tomato leaves or pepper stems...:)

Are you sure of that? I doubt it...

All the ones I’ve used highly recommend the addition of a non ionic surfactant ...

OK fine - so we don’t want to accept that peppers and tomatoes have trichimes...how about tobacco?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5580781/

THC123

Veteran
It is not about having trichomes!!! And yes they do have trichomes. It is aboutthe fact that you spray something on a flower with a sponge like surface. You cannot rinse the skin like with peppers, everything you spray will stay in the bud. And you are vaping/smoking it.

And why call people infantile when they don't agree with your dangerous behavior???

M

Mountain Kine

Cannabis doesn’t have a “sponge like” surface.

It’s nonporous

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Cannabis doesn’t have a “sponge like” surface.

It’s nonporous

Lol. How does foliar feeding work? What are stomata?

Please list everything you can prove 100% washes off flowers?

http://www.biologydiscussion.com/transpiration/stomata/stomata-definition-types-and-functions-with-diagrams-botany/20316

M

Mountain Kine

The point of deliquescence allows the ion in to the plant cell wall when the stomata opens.

That point and percentage of efficacy is dependent on the compound.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
It's FIFRA 25b exempt so it is OK to use it also has a broad enough label that you could also file a CDFA appeal to get it included in to the allowable list.

Legal cannabis is a new thing so there is little to not literature out there from companies providing these products on their interactions with cannabis, but considering that it is a C3 plant that is very similar to chili pepper in metabolism it isn't too far of an assumption to say if it's good for vegetables then it's also good to use on cannabis.

Most cannabis is combusted at temperatures that would off gas the H2O2 / acetic acid / water that makes up PAA.

So far as i can see its the cdpr (california department of pesticide regulation) who says what to use and not what to use in Cannabis cultivation.PAA is not on the list of fungicides what is allowed to use in Cannabis cultivation.

Its not about H2O2 or acetic acid like in vinegar, which has a pH around 4.5, but most pesticides contains more than what is said on the label.Another thing is that Cannabis is a total another category than vegetables, its comparing pears with apples.

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_072736.jpg
    IMG_20190416_072736.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 79
I know I keep repeating myself, but I never worry about PM, I just use my uvc light and relax ;) and then I harvest clean and safe cannabis and enjoy :D
What uvc light do you use? One that you wave over your plants or one that goes into your ventilation system? I was thinking of getting a whole room or the one that can be waved over the plants for back up.