What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caribbean genetics / St. Vincent, Grenada, Tobago, Jamaica

Thanks for the pics, Simon! What kind of effect is to be expected from them? Got some as freebies.

Nice! Have fun growing them and let me know how you liked them! On ********** you can find some more info. The effect can be described as well- rounded, but definitely on the indica side. Not too strong, not too weak - a great allrounder like the whole plant.

Hello all..... I guess I'm putting this in the right place.....

Hi bathroomgrower! Not sure if this is the right place for your question and I cannot say if you end up with fluffy buds because of your strain choice... you didn't even mention what strains you are growing.

Roms

Veteran
(...)

Meanwhile in my garden, the little Caribbeans are growing up rapidly:
View Image

Happy Christmas days everyone!

Hi Simon,

A sativa diva quest for the cross with NLX male? Nice project bro!

I feel that your Grenada could be the best but also the must difficult to select... Smaller seeds it seems? Also better first leaves vigor? Right on a good sativa old timer blood but they will probably be hard/long to bloom + sex fragility...

Here is a Guadeloupe specimen with endless flowering, jungle grow to document, obliged to cut of its apex in the little 180cm box. (With a little Kerala bud near to compare the flo time...)

Good luck with all of yours SeedySimon and thank you for sharin those interesting Caribbeans vibes. A beautiful healthy grow for a happy 18/19 passage! Peace

Hookahhead

You actually would have loads of variation within a landrace population do to open pollination. If a supposed landrace when grown comes out fairly stable it’s prob not a landrace. Also if grown right those seed out of the medium quality herb could produce some outrageous plants maybe some of the best you have ever seen. I would love to have access to such gems. In my opinion you have a goldmine of genetics right under your nose.

Although I would expect a certain amount of variation in a wild population, I see an extreme amount in my seeds. I get plants that are very WLD dominant, short bushy plants, darker green, very little stretch. I also find the opposite end NLD, tall thin plants, lighter green, 200% stretch, and "foxtail" type buds. There are also plants like the pink pistil clone that fall nicely in the middle. That's actually the best part of growing these beans out, you really don't know what's going to come up. There are definitely some gems waiting to be found in there. I find most of the plants in this mix finish in 8-11 weeks.

Although the mid grade Colombian and Mexican are better smoke, I find very few seeds to play with. I can pull 100-200 viable seeds from an oz of the Jamaican, where I might find 0-6 in an oz or 2 of the other. I did find a few clusters of seeds in the last batch of Mexican i got. I've grown a few out and the plants are definitely nicer for commercial production... higher yield of nice big heavy buds. Unfortunately, these plants also throw bananas about 4-6 weeks into flower, which explains the small clusters of seeds in otherwise seedless buds. One of the plants had an amazingly sweet limeade smell, but sadly I didn't take a clone. I have a few more of those seeds left so i will pop them looking for that pheno again.

picture.php
here's one of the Mexicans chopped at 9 weeks. Not the lime pheno, but nice big chunky flowers. Bathroomgrower asked about airy/vs tight buds. Growing conditions effect bud structure, but the genetics seem to play a bigger role in my garden. Typically the indica or "wide leaf drug" plants have more compact and denser flower structure.

Hookahhead

Looking good Roms! Is that last photo the Kerala? That thin wispy sativa structure is what I'm keeping an eye out for!

Roms

Veteran
Looking good Roms! Is that last photo the Kerala? That thin wispy sativa structure is what I'm keeping an eye out for!

All photos are from the same plant from Gwada, Guadeloupe!

On the 2nd one you can see the Kerala little bud near right with the same flowering time! For the last picture the flo time is at around +12 weeks! ...never end stretch lol... Not really the kind of plant for selection i would say. ;)

Gazoo31

Hello all..... I guess I'm putting this in the right place..... So, I'm starting my 6th grow soon and the quality of what I've grown so far is more than acceptable and I'm pleased with everything except in one area. The buds are somewhat "fluffy" and lightweight and aren't tight and dense as I'd like them to be. I keep an optimal temperature of between 70 and 80 degrees, more than enough light per square foot, and plenty of ventilation, and generally tender loving care. I only grow 2 at a time due to space limitations so it's easy to keep up with. My question: Is the light weight of the buds due to the strain(s) or is it something I'm doing, or not doing. I guess we all want the nice tight buds, but I've yet to achieve that. Thanks to all in advance.

Id say bud density is 75% genetics and 25% environment. Too hot airy. Too cold, too small. You get the idea. Find some bubba or any pure indica and you’ll have dense bud.

Lovely exotic plants that you are growing, Roms and Hookahhead!

Yes, I am also very curious about the Grenada varieties, especially because they are the product of selective breeding rather than open pollination, a rare find in the Caribbean. They showed a vigorous healthy growth right from the start, however, they grow much less sativa- like than their cousins from St. Vincent.

Here are the little ones, left to right Tobago, St. Vincent, Jamaica, Grenada, Grenada Pink:
picture.php

Hookahhead

Patiently waiting for an update ;)

My friend just recently harvested the "pink pistil clone" but they don't show pink indoors.

Attachments

• 0ecaafd7-04bc-44e3-9b02-466eb6048e35.jpg
    0ecaafd7-04bc-44e3-9b02-466eb6048e35.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 53
  • a2b8432d-b2ee-41c4-90aa-4d9629371cec.jpg
    a2b8432d-b2ee-41c4-90aa-4d9629371cec.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 8577a2d4-d016-4327-9c91-40b4c098f215.jpg
    8577a2d4-d016-4327-9c91-40b4c098f215.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
Well, here they are, the latest updates :)

Started taking clones:
picture.php

Plus I had to sort out the "Jamaicas" from the extinct company Hemcy. Instead of tropical sativas they turned out to be autoflowering... seems that seedbank got a little sloppy towards their end. Came halfway expected though, I had similar problems with their seeds before. Nonetheless a pity, since the genetics grown in the Caribbean supposedly changed a lot over the years it would have been great to have an oldschool Dutch-Jamaican strain in this grow, too.

Happy new year everyone!

Switching to 12/12 today, looking forward to see them flowering!

The first impression has not changed, the St. Vincents are the most sativa-like and also the most vital plants. The Grenada crosses show a little more variation but tend to be stockier with broader leaves and the Tobago bagseeds lean the most towards indica of all of them.

Here a picture of a typical representative of each line. All of them topped in order to cut clones, left to right Tobago, St. Vincent, Grenada, Grenada Pink:
picture.php

Hookahhead

That St. Vincent is looking good! Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_4471.jpg
    IMG_4471.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 43
3 weeks into flowering, now all plants have shown their sex. The differences between the genetics are huge: The compact Tobago bagseed plants are already starting to produce a little bit of resin, on the Grenada Pinks the little buds are clearly shaping, the other Grenadas are a little behind but also clearly starting to flower and just a pistil here and there on the lanky, sativa-ish St. Vincents.

Does anyone of you tropical sativa growers have experience with a shortened lighting cycle during flowering? To me it seems logical that a plant adapted to low latitudes where longest day of the year is not even 13 hours will react to further reducing the day/night cycle from 12/12 to 11/13. Will experiment with that.

JockBudman

Apologies to the op but I thought I'd offer another opinion on this post. Hope you don't mind :tiphat:

Hello all..... I guess I'm putting this in the right place..... So, I'm starting my 6th grow soon and the quality of what I've grown so far is more than acceptable and I'm pleased with everything except in one area. The buds are somewhat "fluffy" and lightweight and aren't tight and dense as I'd like them to be. I keep an optimal temperature of between 70 and 80 degrees, more than enough light per square foot, and plenty of ventilation, and generally tender loving care. I only grow 2 at a time due to space limitations so it's easy to keep up with. My question: Is the light weight of the buds due to the strain(s) or is it something I'm doing, or not doing. I guess we all want the nice tight buds, but I've yet to achieve that. Thanks to all in advance.

It's worth remembering that a lot of commercial bud you find on the street, especially in countries or states where it's still illegal to grow weed, is artificially pumped up with pgr's.

Yes you can get more solid buds from more indica leaning strains if you select the right phenotype and it helps to use hps or led lighting over fluros.
A good soil also helps you achieve more yield - something I'm looking into at the moment as all my stuff yellows out about week 5.

But I'd avoid trying to chase those rock hard bud pebbles and just focus on maxing your yeilds. Who cares if you don't have rock solid nugs if you've got clean, smooth smoking weed with a good high?

Ganja gu brah :joint:

Buds at 4 1/2 weeks - Top left Trinidad, top right St. Vincent, bottom left Grenada, bottom right Grenada Pink:
picture.php

The Tobago bagseed plants do not exactly grow and look like a tropical sativa. Anyways, they are nice plants and I already have my eye on one that might be a keeper.

The St. Vincents are very tall plants by now, the tallest already 1,50m and still stretching. They react quite sensitive on fertilizer, eagle claws on a few plants made me reduce the dose. Buds are clearly shaping but still quite small. These seem to most original, wildest plants of the pack.

The Grenada plants are coming along very slow. While they showed first hairs before the St. Vincents, buds are not really forming yet.

The Grenada Pinks show a similar growth pattern to their relatives, but already have nicely developed buds and are starting to produce a little resin. Three plants started showing signs of hermaphroditism. I hope it won't be many more as I don't like to cut down such pretty plants (except on harvest day ;) ).

Thanks, LungCooking.

Here a picture of the Grenada Pink:
picture.php

They are strong sativa plants with a nice flower structure and an interesting terpene profile with a earthy-spicy scent. Unluckily the Grenada Pinks are also the line that tends most to hermaphroditism, so I am not sure I will will work with these genetics in the future.

Here a pic of a bud from the Tobago bagseed plants at harvest day:
picture.php

The plants grow rather compact, during the flower phase their leaves got more sativa-like, but clearly these genetics are some modern hybrids. The finished between 8 and 9 weeks. One phenotype stood out with its delicious sour candy smell and nice sticky buds, will keep that one for future testing/projects.