What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dryin ma stash aint workin..

Bio boy

i grown years and it is quality,

lately im doin sumin wrong and i cant figure it out

when ever i dry my past 8 strains over 2 grows they smell like straw like lost all smell and smell old..

uk climate btw

ive tryed the bags ive done the jars /

basilcy i dry them slow over 5days trimmed and then let them crisp out n jar em n it stinks

its not workin so i tryed a ffew other methods eg

3days bag em sweat em then dry em again same

let em jus dry out normal happened in 4days same

made em slower n last 8 days still same wtf?

tryed in a cardboard box... stil the same wtf

how i dry ,

i trim and hang in a 60x60x200cm room, with a 4inch fan restrictred 50% on a filter sucking slow and gentle, bottom in top out...
why the fek does my cheese my blues my trainwrek and my chemdawg all taste like old crap grass

it looks potent and crysrtaly as fk everyone sliek WOWOW lok at the but ..pull it otu the bag n go wot the fuck

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Think back. What have you changed, what environmental changes have happened?

Did you change nutes, locations, water supply, what?

Bio boy

Nothing changed same advanced nute same hydro same system everything is same

Just cant seem to shift last chloryaphyl lvls out its almost there now almoat stil got that taste on day 7

707OGBUSH970

You have to give them longer than that. The last harvest I had needed to be burped for like 3 weeks before it didn't smell like hay and it took 5 weeks for the smell to come back fully. It is 7 weeks now and its the best weed Ive grown in along time, but I was worried. I always get worried during cure. If you've done it properly it will be fine after some time. I would look at moisture levels and possibly rehydrate. I wouldn't do it if its not absolutely necessary If the moisture level is good, keep burping them. What is your humidity in your room you are curing in?

Douglas.Curtis

You said you've grown for years, and everything was peachy. Now, the last two grows are coming out like hay.

Something has changed. You shouldn't have to be trying different drying techs if the one you were using worked fine before. You wouldn't have the same issue with all of the strains, if everything was still the same.

Do you use tap water? Has something happened in your area and the tap water has changed? Are you using old nutes? Did you pick up fresh nutes and one of the ingredients lists has changed since the last time?

insomniac_AU

too wet...needs more drying before jarring...
That's my opinion too.

Ideally you want to dry at about 70f and 50%RH in the dark with a little air circulation usually for 7 to 10 days. This will depend on bud structure and conditions though. Then start the burping and curing process.

Personally I don't sell so could care less about weight so I prefer to over-dry slightly and rehydrate with Bovedas if necessary. Better that than decomposition starting. On a side note I find the 62% Bovedas make the perfect texture for joints but a little too damp for pipes. I'm going to get some 58% and try those.

Bio boy

any longer and it drys sodry there is nothing?

i got it now to drying til day 4 and it smells amazing now, day 5 is dry snaps, and then i can jar it up and it makes it all slightly tacky again..now smells liek straw ..

when im jarin it day 5 i can crumble with fingers into a spliff

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Agreed it is too wet before jarring.

Also it would be easier to read if you used some hint of Grammer and spell check.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Too much airflow, or too high temperature will usually be the one to fuck it up.. if the fan is running constant I would consider turning it off for at least a few 2 hour breaks. It may slow the process by a few days but could help.
Tbh I used to just hang dry in a back bedroom with no fans and didn’t have problems, took usually 7-10 days before jarring.... so if all else fails, try that.
Good luck

Edit: uk climate also

Douglas.Curtis

any longer and it drys so dry there is nothing?
Please define your use of the word 'nothing' here.

i got it now to drying til day 4 and it smells amazing now, day 5 is dry snaps
You're drying it to the stem snapping point in 5 days? That's a large loss in quality.

, and then i can jar it up and it makes it all slightly tacky again..
This is what should happen after jarring.
now smells like straw ..
How long after day 5 is this?

Are you hanging the cannabis in an area with a straw smell to it? Cannabis WILL absorb these smells, so be aware.

when im jarin it day 5 i can crumble with fingers into a spliff
So, tacky crumbles at day 5 of drying, while putting it into jars.

MrBungle

if the problem is too much moisture after putting it in the jars then you are putting it in the jars too soon.. if your weed is crumbling after 5 days of drying out then you are drying in a place without enough humidity... its not rocket science, but there isn't much room for error... do you use a fan for drying?

DTOM420

So, I’ve always heard you get the best results at around 50-60% relative humidity and 70°F-75°F for your drying area. Do you have a hygrometer in your drying area? What I’ve been doing is drying in a tent dedicated to drying. It’s in a room that consistently stays between 52% and 65% RH, depending on the weather. Most of the time it’s about 57%. So, the formula I’ve followed is 1 day for every 10% of humidity and then tack on ONE additional day. So, at 55% humidity you’d do 5+1 days. Then, into jars. I’m using The Original Bud Saver lids on wide mouth Ball jars. This gives me a reading of both temperature and humidity in the jar AND it has a rack to put in a 62% Boveda pack to help perfect the humidity for curing. If you put your flower in the jars and RH stays above 65% for more than a few hours, it’s too wet and needs to go back to open air drying. If your humidity is 65% or less, burp 1-2 times daily until you’re satisfied.

Sometimes it takes a while for that hay smell to cure out, like others have said. But using this method it’s gone away really quickly for me, so far. Hope this helps some.

707OGBUSH970

Don't use humidity packs. They rob the smell. You need to be more patient. I takes a good 2-3weeks at least to take the slightly moist bud to a dry smokable from without any chlorophyll. I would say that you are either not drying it enough or it is too dry. Depending on the wetness you need to burp them longer and just be patient. Mine smells like hay too until the 3 week mark and then its golden!

grayeyes

If you are in a race to smoke it you probably picked the wrong hobby. If you are in a legal state go buy it.

I dry in the dark on an open box top and stop when it starts to get to a snap. Not snapping, you can tell.

Then it goes in a paper bag that gets burped. Once it seems fairly dry it goes into plastic sealing bags again in the dark. If it gets too dry you can spray a cotton ball with water and leave it in the bag for several hours. Humidity comes back that way.

Finally quit opening the bag and when you check it you should start getting that 'oh my god' smell.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts