What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exploration of the Big O...Bodhi's Ae77 Cali O X's

billycw

Veteran
And guaranteeing a show, Blood Orange #1 confirmed female.

Cloned, getting a bigger home then into flower. Smells like a sweet skunk scent on rub.

picture.php

picture.php

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I am impressed with Satsuma. 4/4 germed in 3+ days. They are 1 month old, just repotted up into 1 gal. size and they are really stinky. The 6th true node is just starting so I will be able to presex them soon. I am going to try them outdoors here in CO (shorter season) and see what happens. I don't want to hijack your thread, but is it OK if I throw on some pictures when there is something interesting?

billycw

Veteran
BOMBAYCAT- For sure, would love to see some more satsuma's. Your running them outdoors the way original Cali O was breed for, I bet they do very well under the big bulb and can't wait to see.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
billycw-4 little Satsumi

billycw-4 little Satsumi

They are about 5 weeks old now, and I repotted up to 1 gallon and they are really growing. I hope they make outside planting before I have to repot up. I was worried I made the recycled soilless a little too hot, but I figure the Snow lotus part will soak up the food. I am starting to see the pre-flower structures on the fifth nodes and one is showing hairs. I am guessing one male and 3 fems by the growth. I wonder if the growth is hybrid vigor?

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seedlings look great, and ready to stretch out in bigger pots.

About TGA & Orange Velvet, they were gifted it from a couple who got it from some hippies in NorCal that were growing it for 20 years. The couple said the clones name was melvin, and subcool and jill named it orange velvet. but it was described as an orange skunk terp profile.
Most likely that plant is also from the cali-o genepool.

billycw

Veteran
Claude Hopper- Thanks, seems researching cali o opened up some interesting reads both in books and in forums. Many interesting early 60's-70's topics and characters I was earlier unaware of that seem to deserve some thank you's by at least me. Hope you enjoy the show.

BOMBAYCAT- Looking good, will be watching along for more.

Corpsey- Thanks for the info on OV, does Sub still hold the original "Melvin" clone? Curious if it carries the double serrations? Much appreciated.

Cannavore- Thanks Cannavore. I'll keep trying to make it on your bodhi's guide, have to find a strain Green Dot hasn't run:)

Original untouched lines are still around imo.
Think anything with double serrations is post orange skunk myself.
Stuff I seen back in early 90's from a buddy who had moved to the area from cali didn't have it, was more affy in growth n smelled of an actual orange being torn apart but didn't translate to taste as much as the more contemporary candy flavour orange types.
Imo the ae cut screams that it's packed with skunk.
Granted it's old skunk which isn't necessarily a bad thing these days but when I'm getting dog shit out the blood orange like there isn't even any orange in it at all I'd bet my left nut it definetly isn't pure like many were claiming a while ago as it spread around a bit.
Nostalgia's always a bitch when it comes to weed though far as I'm concearned.
All depending on reasoning for growing it out in the 1st place, I think an old line might be great for breeding projects if that's what you're in to, but I don't think the old line'd compare to a lot of the newer ones far as yield or taste/smell.
Is just how the evolution of weed is working out, makes nostalgia the fickle bitch she can be ime.

Anywho, cheers,.............................................gps

billycw

Veteran
Book review time.

The Bandit of Kabul: Counterculture Adventures Along the Hashish Trail and Beyond . . .

picture.php

I have Seen multiple references claiming author J.B claims breeding Cali O in this book, read it twice, NO reference to Cali O or any Orange strain besides a picture of the Orange Spice shirt.

It was a enjoyable read telling brief stories about more of the places, people and smugglers on the hashish trail(mainly Afghanistan, Nepal, Amsterdam, some Norcal...) late 60's early 70's.

Some interesting points-(hard to put exact dates as J.B doesn't always state exact year)

-He talks about growing "Mexican Gold" in his Afghanistan compound 1971ish from seeds he brought in.

-J.B says he was handed "Maui Wowie" and "Poona Butter" seeds in Hana, Hawaii by some "upland farmers" 1971ish

-Talks about the T-Shirts- gives credit to Artist named Andrew A. for drawing some if not all(specifies on the one with Exotica seeds and the Horse) Say's when he first started growing on his ranch in Norcal 72ish that good import was worth 4 times "Cali homegrown". He was going to charge 1/2 import price but thought adding a shirt per OZ would even price's out. Very interesting

-first shirt read "Sensamillia" and "Sweet, Virgin, Spicy" with a image of a beautiful young girl with stars in her eyes, rainbows around her head and bud spilling out of the basket she was carrying. 1972ish

-J.B says he enjoyed smoking flower to hash, makes sense for a creation of a tasty strain.

I believe there to be a part 2 so I have ordered yet another book to see if J.B talks about Cali O creation. Book is called "The Bandit of Kabul: Episode Two of the Series "As The Prayer Wheel Turns""
picture.php

I am finding very little in the way of info on his seed company "Exotica Seeds". Seems a bunch of Norcal people on here, must be some puzzle pieces floating.

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Quote dug up:

about 85 sacred seeds "orange" release
"seeds offered were F2 and that it was the 1st year they had grown it for evaluation."

Nevil's response
"I suspected as much. Even when I got them they weren't that "orange". The smells weren't there when I got them and several generations of inbreeding couldn't fish them out. I only continued selling the ones I bred because I'd improved the structure of the plant and increased the yield a lot. I had trouble with the name, but I didn't want to cloud the ancestry."
N.

I dug this up from another forum, interesting Nevil didn't find much Orange in the 85 f2 release. I'm wondering if the Flying Dutchman maybe had different selection of the F1 stock for his work? (if the Royal Orange story is correct)

Gram Paw smurf- interesting, have read some hints of a more afghan cali O. I know what I got in the early/mid 90's around me was a very light lime green, fairly airy sativa type smoke. Many years to change at that point though. I remember a great thread on CW or OG about Cali O and someone had posted a more afghan looking orange plant claiming it was cali o, sure wish we still had that history up. Seems to be a real lack of knowledge on what the S1 cali o unlocks, would be very interesting to see what pops out.

Ollie-Thanks, hope you enjoy

window

Veteran
Hey billy, I have also read the 'bandit of Kabul' and I think 'exotica', was Jerry's brand name for there homegrown grass and not a seed company.
Its been a few years since I read it, so I may be wrong but I don't recalled anything about a seed co.
I've also read about Jerry being responsible for Cali-o, I think it was in TY magazine but the article it came from was full on bs, for which the editor of the mag had to apologise for.

Years ago in the early nineties, I grew either Cali-o or Cali-o x skunk from Positronic seeds and I recall they grew tall and were more lime green colour and they had lime green buds that reeked of orange when dry.
I have a pack of Chimera's C+ I really want to get at this year as like you I'm longing for some orange smelling herb.:biggrin:

Just to add, the 'Bandit of Kabul' book I have, has the cover you posted above, so its an earlier copy and not a part two, all though I believe Jerry did write three books, the first set in the 60s, then the 'bandit of Kabul' about the 70s and the last which covers the 80s, I need to find them myself as I think they could be interesting.
Great thread.

billycw

Veteran
theJointedOne- I was hoping someone would chime in with Blood Orange. Only have 2 of those so would love pics for a larger look at gene pool if you ever run those.

window- I knew that TY article would come up at some point :) Was going to sidestep it just to avoid that war... so was referencing Author of another book "The King of Nepal: Life Before the Drug Wars" but admittedly Author Joseph P***** has been called into question as well. Known as "Will the Thrill" in the book "the Bandit of Kabul" and was on Icmag in 2006 as just "Will" but was banned very shortly.
I don't believe Jerry even mentions "exotica" in his book, Joseph gives him credit for that and shows the shirt in his book. When I look at the photo it does kind of look like it cut off a word as seen with the dark spot in the upper right here.
picture.php

That book is ordered and being the only reference photo I can find, I'm just being inspector clouseau. If you ever pop those C+ seeds feel free to post them up as they are the same momma although that blue always seems finds a way into the picture:) Thanks

Last edited:
One of the best threads I've had the pleasure of reading along with. Being a history fan, I dig all the background information. Wish all threads would follow suit. Cheers man.

Wish I had more to contribute but the only orange tasting pheno I've had from seed was from a seed I found in some swiss miss (nirvana seeds circa 2007) that I put outside in a guerilla grow in the midwest. I only had four beans I found in it and one was a short slow growing indica dom plant structure that had an orange flavor. I don't know if plant hermed and made seeds or if random pollen somehow made to them but I assume it was from the skunk lineage in the swiss miss, which nirvana reworked and rereleased it as swiss cheese.

billycw

Veteran
Thought I would bring up an off topic character from the book "the Bandit of Kabul" that stuck out to me while we wait for Veg.

Montreal Michael -
He gets the appreciation clap, how you doin wave and respect brother point from me

giphy.gif

A crazy Canadian the author meets in Goa 1971, already obsessed with pushing the envelope and making hash oil from hash to get by customs easier. He then meets up with him in Islamabad in '72 where he took 6 months collecting pieces for his hash rig from the scientific supply outlets to bring back to Afghanistan.

In Islamabad they meet 2 other Canadian's trying to make the same type of rig named Cadillac and the Mad Professor. Sittin at a table in '72 an American and 3 Canadian's in Islamabad all trying to make rigs for hash oil, the odds?

I will just post the last part as written in the book.

picture.php

I know the internet puts Red Lebanese honey oil at about '67, although DJ Shorts Book has a date of '73 here https://books.google.com/books?id=w...BA#v=onepage&q=red lebanese honey oil&f=false

I would have loved to see the contraption. I'm guessing since Red L oil was a ether extract that this is what they were using to cut?

As far as I've read red Lebanese honey oil is the first hash oil(correct me if i'm wrong) so in '72 these guys were pushing the limits. Respect

billycw

Veteran
Although the book "the bandit of Kabul" rarely mentions B.o.e.l, I have found multiple similarities while digging. I dug up some references giving Bobby with Boel credit for hash oil. Here is one passage from the book "Spliffs: A Celebration of Cannabis Culture" by Nick Jones/Marks

picture.php

The Hash explosion heard round the world :)

It is also briefly talked about in Chapter 18 of the book "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love: From Flower Power to Hippie Mafia: The Story of the LSD Counterculture" by Tendler/May.

billycw

Veteran
Update on Blood Orange #2-

BO#2 Sexed out female. So I have 2/2 female on the Blood oranges with what appears to be different expressions. BO#1 put into flower 3 days ago, BO#2 up potted to 2 gallon, already cloned/topped, going into flower in a couple days.

Really have a thing for BO#2 already, soft light green, jagged double serrated leaves, sweet citrus skunk smells on rub in veg and really stands out in the garden for me.

BO#2
picture.php

picture.php

window

Veteran
Nice looking plant you got there Billy, the leaves look very similar to the Cali -o I grew years ago.
I flicked through my copy of bandit and your right, no mention of 'exotica' but does have the pic.
Looks like 'the bandit' is the only one of the series to be published as I can't find a trace of the others, just a mention at the back of the book, a real shame.

I remember reading about a young, long hair Afghan that would procure the finest hash for his friends in Rob Clark's 'hashish' and was pleasantly surprised to see pics of 'Saki' years later when I read the bandit.:)
I love it when little bits of info from different books come together, pot history.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts